New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
kneedeep
Rep
Drives: m coupe

ready to attempt replacing mufflers but need a little help and support..

OK I'm ready to be the forum guinea pig with a little help for everyone. I think it's pretty crazy what people are charging for basically mufflers these days. Now I know there is a lot of engineering involved but still. It may just be that I'm cheap and that's fine too but I had the same issue with my e39 M5 and my Z3 Mcoupe. I had a muffler shop put on some Magnaflow mufflers and I couldn't have been happier with the sound. I documented it on the M5 Board http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-mufflers.html.
The help I need is with selecting the right muffler to start with. For the M5 it was number 14816 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=14816. Based on the look of other systems for our Z4 35i it seems like something similar to number 14259 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10748 might be right but I really don't know. That's where I could use your guys help, anyone know the measurements of the OEM mufflers?
As far as I can tell, no one has done this yet for our Z4's but if anyone has suggestions or experience before I start shopping and welding, they would be very much appreciated.
I will of course post pics and videos as I go along even if it turns out horribly, which is always an option
Thanks
Patrick
09 Z4 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

im considering the same option to get quad tips. i am getting a diffuser for my car and it would just look hideous if it has a single tip in a big opening
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

hey!, i have a sdrive30i! i am planning to do a similar thing, but won't happen until 3 months when im back to australia. Look forward to see your pics / vid!

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Subscribed for pics and results

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Having done my 335xi I would highly recommend yo use model 11236 which is a 14" 4X9 Oval muffler with 2.5" internal pipe , I have had it for almost 2 years and the sound is amazing with no drone

I am currently shopping for a 35i or 35is and plan to do the same thing , the only thing I'm debating is if I will use an 11" muffler instead model 11366 which would be louder
I chose satin stainless but both models are available polished

Video( not the best but gives an idea)
      02-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I looked on the magnaflow site and they don't list the E89 for their mufflers. How will you get the fitment right?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I looked on the magnaflow site and they don't list the E89 for their mufflers. How will you get the fitment right?
They only list for cars that they have a full system for , they do not list cars for their universal mufflers

This will be a custom setup so obviously lots of measurement will be taken before selecting the right mufflers and since I do not have the car yet I'm still speculating which I will use ,

However I have look a more pictures of the undercarriage I care for and taken measurements of those and I have a pretty good idea which model will fit
      03-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

keep us posted,
      03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
maglito
engorged
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo

Garage List
I completely agree. Prices are silly for the 2.5" exhaust systems available for this car. Until a full dual 3" exhaust system is available I'll probably pay a local shop to hack up the stock piping.

It seems to me you just need to figure out the mufflers, you want an offset inlet (for less drastic, power robbing, bends before the mufflers), and a straight through design for maximum power but want to avoid an annoying drone at highway speeds. I would say your best bet is something from Walker exhaust's Dynomax VT series.
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

Specifically, probably this 2x of this model: 17156
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17156/overview/

Here is a link to all walker muffler products at summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...-type/mufflers

Then with your exhaust shop, you can experiment with sound by adding bullet type mufflers (aka resonators) were the secondary cats go, or use high-flow race cats there. Also consider placing an X (crossover) pipe as far back as possible, right where the pipes separate towards the mufflers. But you can tune the sound based on where you place the resonators/cats and X pipe.

And ALWAYS use cat-less down pipes, cats have no business in the down pipe and do nothing for emissions once the car is up to running temp (this is the #1 gain to be had on the exhaust system of turbo cars).

Anyway, back to the mufflers, I think that Dynomax 17156 mufflers and add some of those larger angle cut X5 exhaust tips to keep an OEM style look, might just be the ticket. Don't quote me on that exact model muffler being exactly the right size, measure before you order. But if you do proceed with this please post detailed pictures of where you cut, weld, etc. Maybe then we can all benefit from this, like you said. I will likely do something similar if my local dealer tells me it won't violate my CPO warranty.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0