New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
IMR
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toureg TDI, Z4 35iS

Adaptive Headlight test?

Hi folks,

Is there a way to test that the adaptive headlights are working properly? Recently had my lights replaced after one got smashed and after a month with my other vehicle that dips the adaptive lights on start, I'm finding the Z4 doesn't. Maybe it is my faulty memory. Maybe they never did. Do yours?

I've tried turning the wheel with the headlights shining on my garage door and don't seem to see movement. Hrrrm...

As well, and I get that this is probably a dumb question, but the inner headlight (not the rings) never seems to light. Are they dummys? It was another thing I had never noticed before.

Anyhow....

Would appreciate hearing your experience. I'm probably just being neurotic.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

If you turned the steering wheel and you saw no change, then something is wrong.

A good test would be: slow speed (10mph), straight line, and swinging the steering wheel slightly , it reacts pretty fast

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR View Post
As well, and I get that this is probably a dumb question, but the inner headlight (not the rings) never seems to light. Are they dummys? It was another thing I had never noticed before.
Pretty sure that's normal. Mine don't light up anyway. They're high beam bulbs, but with the standard HIDs they just move the shutter on those to get you the high beam effect and strangely enough the HIDs are used even for flash-to-pass. I think the only time you'd see them on is if you have them set to come on as DRLs. My best guess is that in other countries HID was optional and the inner high beams would actually be used for those functions.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

When you turn on the car the lights should move up and down before they settle. They should also turn with the steering. You may need a trip to the dealer. I had an issue once where I hit a bump pretty hard and I needed the lights to be recalibrated. Its been fine ever since.

In regards to the 2 middle lights, Maybe Tangent is right, but I've never seen them on.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #5
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

You certainly considered that the headlights switch must be turned to the extreme left ("A" position) for adaptive headlights to work?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
When you turn on the car the lights should move up and down before they settle.
Correct. In my view this has nothing to do with adaptive headlight; this is a regular leveling to ensure that the light beams are well adjusted based on the car's weight repartition (e.g heavy load in the trunk).

When you turn on a VW Passat CC, the lights not only move up and down but also left and right, which provide a visual check that the adaptive headlight is working OK. An idea that BMW could use or perhaps it does already it on other models ?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

What are they supposed to do?

My USA E89 2009 335ii headlights follow the steering. It is very useful on twisty mountain roads. However they don't move up and down at all or try to stay level. Should they?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #8
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
My USA E89 2009 335ii headlights follow the steering. It is very useful on twisty mountain roads. However they don't move up and down at all or try to stay level. Should they?
if you have bi-Xenon headlights, they must level. It is a legal requirement in USA and Europe. Europe is even more stringent as they require automatic headlight washer (again only if you have Xenon). Automatic headlight washer though is not a legal obligation in the US.

Don't you observe the up and down movement of the beams when you turn on your car ?
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

oh yea

Can't believe I missed it. The lights do level when I start the car. So looks like I need to get them raised so I can see the pot holes with low beam.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
sjeupie
Private
Rep
Drives: Tiefseeblau E89 Sdrive 23i wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r
Can't believe I missed it. The lights do level when I start the car. So looks like I need to get them raised so I can see the pot holes with low beam.
They should auto level, showing also the pot holes. If that is not the case, the sensor might not be calibrated correctly. There was a tread on here about a guy who moved the leveling sensor (in the rear wheel arch I believe) everytime he hit a bump, resulting in faulty leveled headlights. The fix was easy but had to be repeated cause the design by bmw is not great, if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0