New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
pepico
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

Confusion about DCT modes in conjunction with DTC button

HI,

I am confused about the various transmission settings and can't find a straight answer anywhere.

I get the sports mode and the "s" setting when clicking the gear leaver over.

What doesn't make sense is the sports mode in conjunction with the dtc button. I know what each setting does by itself but not in conjunction.

When I am in sports and click it once it sais Traction on the control cluster, if I press and hold it it turns DSC off all together.. BUT.. what doesn't make sense is that pressing the dtc button seems to take you out off sports or sports+ mode because if I press the sports button again it looks like it's coming out of Normal mode..

These are the different modes I seem to be able to set and would love to know the differences:

Normal "d" dtc not pressed (I call this granny mode)
Normal "d" dtc pressed (displays traction on dash)
Normal "d" dtc held (DSC off)

Normal "s" dtc not pressed
Normal "s" dtc pressed
Normal "s" dtc held (DSC off)

Sports "d" dtc not pressed
Sports "d" dtc pressed (displays traction on dash, seems to take you out of sports mode)
Sports "d" dtc held (DSC off, seems to take you out of sports mode)

Sports "s" dtc not pressed
Sports "s" dtc pressed (displays traction on dash, seems to take you out of sports mode)
Sports "s" dtc held (DSC off, seems to take you out of sports mode)

Sports+ "d" dtc not pressed (displays DTC off on the dash)
Sports+ "d" dtc pressed (displays traction on dash, seems to take you out of sports+ mode)--- what does this do if DTC is already off in Sports+ mode?
Sports+ "d" dtc held (DSC off, seems to disable sports mode)

Sports+ "s" dtc not pressed
Sports+ "s" dtc pressed (displays traction on dash, seems to disable sports+ mode)--- what does this do if DTC is already off in Sports+ mode?
Sports+ "s" dtc held (DSC off, seems to take you out of sports+ mode)

Very confused..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Your lengthy post is mind-numbing. I think your confusion stems from over-analyzation.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Your lengthy post is mind-numbing. I think your confusion stems from over-analyzation.
lol,,, that is exactly what I was thinking. Talk about overthinking something. Its really not all that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

You lost me at DTC. What's that?
Is that only for a certain model, as I don't see that option on my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
pepico
Registered
Rep

Uhm.. perhaps that comes with being German. OK let me ask this then..

when in sports+ it reads DTC off on the dash... what happens then when I press the DTC button?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepico
Uhm.. perhaps that comes with being German. OK let me ask this then..

when in sports+ it reads DTC off on the dash... what happens then when I press the DTC button?
You go back into the Sport mode and DTC is re-enabled
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
You lost me at DTC. What's that?
Is that only for a certain model, as I don't see that option on my car.
double clutch transmission. If you're driving a 35i with an automatic, that's what you have.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Quote:
double clutch transmission. If you're driving a 35i with an automatic, that's what you have.
That's what I thought, but OP mentioned DTC, not DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682055

download the file in that thread and read page 77 (huge table that explains all the things that change when you hit the dynamic driving control toggle, move the shifter level around or hit the DSC button

Long story short, when you are in sport+ the traction control is in the middle setting that allows more yaw. if you want it off you have to hold won the DSC button
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
lcheong
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black Sapphire 30i Z4, Bl

Overthinking or not, pepico did bring up a good point that I myself noticed and was wondering. Mainly, I'm in SPORTS and SPORTS+ mode all the time. I sometimes try to experiment by turning the DSC all the way off by pressing and holding the button. It turns it off, but the damn car keeps turning OFF Sports/Sports+ mode and it automatically goes back to normal! That is confirmed by the table on page 77.

I would love to experiment with the DSC turned all the way off in controlled conditions, but I don't want to lose the accelerator responsiveness and feedback from Sports+ mode. It seems like you can't have both, which seems wrong to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows more wheel slip and thus a more dynamic driving style with higher wheel traction and DSC controlling stability. A small amount of spin on the drive wheels improves traction when pulling off from a standstill in snow or on loose terrain.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

When driving in deep snow, slush or on loose terrain a small amount of wheel spin improves traction. For these occasions, as well as those when the drivers want a sportier driving style, the DTC can be activated by pressing a button and this allows more slip and reduces the DSC’s curbing of the engine. The result: better traction and more thrust.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Control’s stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
pepico
Registered
Rep

That's great thanks.

Thanks Nicknaz for the doc.. that really helps. I also find it strange that using the DTC button should take you out of sport mode.. seems counter productive.

Here the table from page 77 since it's a big doc, thought I would add an image of it here..

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #13
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
+1

Just use it as you want, no need to analyse its ass off!

I use the sport/sport+ mode when I want handling improvement too (adaptive suspension) or just the dct sports mode for overtaking in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheong View Post
I would love to experiment with the DSC turned all the way off in controlled conditions, but I don't want to lose the accelerator responsiveness and feedback from Sports+ mode. It seems like you can't have both, which seems wrong to me.
Come track it
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724925

I track my z4 here and there (M3>Z4 on the track so I prefer taking my M3) and it's really fun

It's a bother that you can't be in sports+ with DSC off, but it is what it is

sports+ with DTC off is like MDM mode (kind of but not really..) and it's still fun.

Can't really drift the Z4 well (though I suck at drifting anyways lol)
Appreciate 0