New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Moved from E85 to E89

I have been a Z4 owner since 2007 with an E85. I liked the look of the Z4. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't had found such a great deal. The engine had just been replaced under warranty and the new engine had a 2 year warranty. The owner thought the fact it had a replacement engine in it was a detractor. So in 2007 I bought a 2033 Z4 with 62K miles on it for $14K.

I bought this as a commuter car (thats what I was looking for) so I wouldn't drive my 1997 Land Cruiser into the ground as a Daily Driver. The gas mileage was significantly better. First thing I did was replace the RFT's with Micheline Pilot All Seasons. I even bought a 5th one and put it in the trunk with a jack. I don't like getting stuck anywhere.

The Michelin's greatly improved the ride and got rid of the trammeling I experienced with the RFT's. The only problem I had during ownership was the battery died. I remember trying to jump the battery and it not working, then checking the manual to see the Z4 had special Jump spots unlike any other car I had in the past.

The Z4 was great and fun to drive. Awesome putting the top down in the summer. When it snowed, I drove my Land Cruiser and was one of the only vehicles on the road during a blizzard.

I was lucky and had the best of the two types of vehicles for the driving I enjoy.

Last year, I upgraded my land Cruiser to a newer more comfortable one, but built it up as well. I sold my Z4 at the time.

The beginning of the summer I missed the Z4, went and looked at a few E85's and was not that excited. It was like I had moved past it. Then I looked at an E89 and knew I had to have one. The styling is better and the interior is much more luxurious. The handling and power is much better than the E85 I had. Even with the stock RFT's I did not experience the trammeling I did with the E85.

The best thing about it is you have both a coupe and a convertible. Watching the top go up and down is fun and one of the best examples of good engineering I have seen and I am an engineer. Ok, how many of you go "check this out" to your friends and show them how the top works

There were not a lot of E89's in the Denver area and found mine in Houston. I flew down and drove it back in June. I have really enjoyed driving it the last two months.

I added the smarttop because It's nice being able to open and close from outside the vehicle. Plus I got rid of the double pull on the handle to unlock the door. Whats up with that anyways.

The stock Potenza RFT's were a great improvement over the RFT's from 6-8 years ago, but I needed to be able to drive year round and these tires would not be good for that. I read the articles on the new 3rd Gen Bridgestone RE060AS RFT's. I liked the improvement in the RFT's and I needed an All Season. No way I could carry a spare anymore with the the way the top uses the trunk space. Had them for a week so far and am real happy. The real test will be winter though

I am real happy with the E89 and plan on keeping her for a long time. The change between models was very dramatic. Almost as big as going from my 1977 Land Cruiser FJ40

to my 1997 Land Cruiser 80 series

Ok, probably not that big of a change. Maybe more like going from the 1997(80 Series) above to the 2004 (100 Series)

Looks like I collect Land Cruisers and Z4's.

I like to be able to climb a Mtn peak in Colorado or the Canyons in Utah, take in the view and enjoy a good cigar. I also enjoy the feeling I get when I drive the Z4. Two great experiances require two great vehicles

To me the Z4 is the perfect Road Vehicle and the Land Cruiser is the perfect Off Road vehicle. I have graduated from one pair to another.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the talk about another vehicle, but to me it's the pair that make it the perfect combination. It's what makes my driving experiance complete. Afterall, isn't that why we aquire vehicles like these?

Here is my 2003 Z4 and the different "siblings"
Attached Images

08-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Welcome to the family!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I have been a Z4 owner since 2007 with an E85. I liked the look of the Z4. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't had found such a great deal. The engine had just been replaced under warranty and the new engine had a 2 year warranty. The owner thought the fact it had a replacement engine in it was a detractor. So in 2007 I bought a 2033 Z4 with 62K miles on it for $14K.

I bought this as a commuter car (thats what I was looking for) so I wouldn't drive my 1997 Land Cruiser into the ground as a Daily Driver. The gas mileage was significantly better. First thing I did was replace the RFT's with Micheline Pilot All Seasons. I even bought a 5th one and put it in the trunk with a jack. I don't like getting stuck anywhere.

The Michelin's greatly improved the ride and got rid of the trammeling I experienced with the RFT's. The only problem I had during ownership was the battery died. I remember trying to jump the battery and it not working, then checking the manual to see the Z4 had special Jump spots unlike any other car I had in the past.

The Z4 was great and fun to drive. Awesome putting the top down in the summer. When it snowed, I drove my Land Cruiser and was one of the only vehicles on the road during a blizzard.

I was lucky and had the best of the two types of vehicles for the driving I enjoy.

Last year, I upgraded my land Cruiser to a newer more comfortable one, but built it up as well. I sold my Z4 at the time.

The beginning of the summer I missed the Z4, went and looked at a few E85's and was not that excited. It was like I had moved past it. Then I looked at an E89 and knew I had to have one. The styling is better and the interior is much more luxurious. The handling and power is much better than the E85 I had. Even with the stock RFT's I did not experience the trammeling I did with the E85.

The best thing about it is you have both a coupe and a convertible. Watching the top go up and down is fun and one of the best examples of good engineering I have seen and I am an engineer. Ok, how many of you go "check this out" to your friends and show them how the top works

There were not a lot of E89's in the Denver area and found mine in Houston. I flew down and drove it back in June. I have really enjoyed driving it the last two months.

I added the smarttop because It's nice being able to open and close from outside the vehicle. Plus I got rid of the double pull on the handle to unlock the door. Whats up with that anyways.

The stock Potenza RFT's were a great improvement over the RFT's from 6-8 years ago, but I needed to be able to drive year round and these tires would not be good for that. I read the articles on the new 3rd Gen Bridgestone RE060AS RFT's. I liked the improvement in the RFT's and I needed an All Season. No way I could carry a spare anymore with the the way the top uses the trunk space. Had them for a week so far and am real happy. The real test will be winter though

I am real happy with the E89 and plan on keeping her for a long time. The change between models was very dramatic. Almost as big as going from my 1977 Land Cruiser FJ40

to my 1997 Land Cruiser 80 series

Ok, probably not that big of a change. Maybe more like going from the 1997(80 Series) above to the 2004 (100 Series)

Looks like I collect Land Cruisers and Z4's.

I like to be able to climb a Mtn peak in Colorado or the Canyons in Utah, take in the view and enjoy a good cigar. I also enjoy the feeling I get when I drive the Z4. Two great experiances require two great vehicles

To me the Z4 is the perfect Road Vehicle and the Land Cruiser is the perfect Off Road vehicle. I have graduated from one pair to another.

Sorry if I offended anyone with the talk about another vehicle, but to me it's the pair that make it the perfect combination. It's what makes my driving experiance complete. Afterall, isn't that why we aquire vehicles like these?

Here is my 2003 Z4 and the different "siblings"
Good story!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

nice move,now why did'nt you get rid of that toyota and buy an X5 as i did believe me you'll regret it!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Your sharing is appreciated and welcomed.
      08-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
nice move,now why did'nt you get rid of that toyota and buy an X5 as i did believe me you'll regret it!
you'll never regret it. sorry for the fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 & M3 Convertible

LOL, I was wondering about that!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Romer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you'll never regret it. sorry for the fault.
I doubt the X5 could go to the places my land Cruiser does

The Rubicon Trail near lake Tahoe

Govners basin near Ouray

Crossing the Dirty Devil in Utah

Porcupine Rim near Moab

Course if you look at my Avatar, the Z4 was cruising nicely at 110MPH from Abilene to raton
      08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
USE Z4S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited

We have the same great taste in vehicles, and we both are in Centennial.

Weird!

We should go for a drive or a wheeling trip some time--PM me if you would like to meet up.

2011 FJ

2011 Z4
      08-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
USE Z4S
Private
Rep

I had to add my "top of the world" picture to go with yours from Moab!

08-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Romer
United_States
Rep

Looks like we even have the same taste in Tires

08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just say'n.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
USE Z4S
Private
Rep

Nice!

But seriously. Seriously. I can drive through mud too...

And snow!

Did I mention rocks? Just sayin'...

08-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
Romer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ic4Me View Post
Just say'n.
How many of those are you? Is that old guy you?

These are all me. Not sure if those rigs could go where I have gone, but I have seen some amazing things from good drivers

Just sayn

But like I said in the first post, without the Z4 my driving experiance wouldnt be complete.
Attached Images

08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
E36ic4Me
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

With the right mods, many SUVs can be very capable off-roaders. The true test should be stock SUV vs. stock SUV. When they are all modded up, you can't really say one (brand or model) is necessarily better then the other as now they are moving modifications and no longer in their original form.

None of it really matters though, as long as the owners are out there enjoying their vehicles and themselves.

Which one is me? Oh dear God, none of them. I personally have zero interest in owning a big ol' vehicle. I am a 100% through and through sports car guy. The Z4 (and a couple of others) for fun and an M3 as the practical, 'family' car.

Although.........I have owned two X3s.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
Romer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the right mods, many SUVs can be very capable off-roaders. The true test should be stock SUV vs. stock SUV. When they are all modded up, you can't really say one (brand or model) is necessarily better then the other as now they are moving modifications and no longer in their original form.
Thats true on the mods. My Landcruisers came from the factory stock with Front, center and rear lockers and 31" tires for clearance. IMOP, it is the best off road vehicle direct from the factory. The FJ Cruisers come direct from the factory the way USE 4ZS posted his pictures. Although, the newer Jeep Rubicons have made significant strides in recent years. I know this is an area that many could debate based on their own opinions.

Quote:
None of it really matters though, as long as the owners are out there enjoying their vehicles and themselves.

Which one is me? Oh dear God, none of them. I personally have zero interest in owning a big ol' vehicle. I am a 100% through and through sports car guy. The Z4 (and a couple of others) for fun and an M3 as the practical, 'family' car.

Although.........I have owned two X3s.
Thats excellent, no worries here and you are right about none of it matters as long as the owners are enjoying themselves. Looks like we are both lucky owners
      08-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
Romer
United_States
Rep

Sooo, back on topic

The electronics of the E89 are far superior to my 2003 Z4. I had to buy a DICE kit to hook in an IPOD. The CD would not play MP3's.

I really like the USB Interface in the E89. No reason for a disk changer. I have 13G of music on a stick and it plays them random, by song, playlist or artist right from the USB. No need for an IPOD. I will make sure any vehicle I buy in the future has a USB interface.

I don't have a wind deflector, but is also seems there is less wind wipping around my head now

The front bumper always would scrape in the 2003. It seems the E89 is a little higher off the ground, but the overall vehicle is not. I think they figured they had the front bumper too low in the first Z4 to make it practical

The trunk seems bigger in the e89, but I don't get the big bump on the lid with the handle. Is that to help when the top is stowed? Of course, there is less room when it is stowed.

Both have the issue with brake dust dirtying the rims.

When you get into the E89, you feel like you are in a Luxery vehicle that drives like a Roadster

When you get in an E85, you feel like your in a Roadster

The handling seems improved on the E89. Not sure if thats because its longer or the electronic Power Steering

I had a manual E85. I do like the automatic E89 with the different modes

The clock in the 2003 was a pain to set because it was not obvious how to do it. The clock in the 2009 is pretty simple to figure out
      08-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #18
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I doubt the X5 could go to the places my land Cruiser does
Sure it could. It just couldn't get out of them
Appreciate 0