teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

RWD Z2 Roadster looks dead

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772321

Z2 Roadster is Nixed

While a BMW supercar may yet come, the rumored Z2 roadster is reportedly stillborn, at least in RWD form. CEO Reithofer reportedly nixed the return of a compact RWD roadster because the numbers did not work out. If a compact roadster returns at some point in the future, it will be built on a FWD platform which it will share with the MINI convertible.

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

I'm actually happy they nixed it...I couldn't understand the market for this. The Z isn't a best seller for bmw anyways so why spend all that R&D to expand on it at this point? With that said, I say bring on the M series Z
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I'm actually happy they nixed it...I couldn't understand the market for this. The Z isn't a best seller for bmw anyways so why spend all that R&D to expand on it at this point? With that said, I say bring on the M series Z
Mostly because the Z4 went wayyyyyyy too much upmarket, and the pricing over the previous gen isn't worth it.

New Miata is looking promising, at least. Too bad they couldn't justify the Z2.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

yeah, they could decrease the cost of the Z and sell more but that would mean I would see more beautiful Z on the streets, which I don't want to. Part of the allure of the Z for me is the fact that you don't see many. If I started seeing a lot more Z's..i'd drop the Z for something else.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Excellent news. All of us happy, satisfied 2009 - 2013 Z4 owners don't need some mini-me version of our car around to suck our resale values down.

To comment on an earlier post - The Z4 was never intended to be a high volume vehicle, so the relatively low sales volume has nothing to do with whether it was success or not.

Once you remove the crappy OEM runflats and put on a proper set of tires, such as Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the car becomes the sports car it was meant to be.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 08-04-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona
Excellent news. All of us happy, satisfied 2009 - 2013 Z4 owners don't need some mini-me version of our car around to suck our resale values down.

To comment on an earlier post - The Z4 was never intended to be a high volume vehicle, so the relatively low sales volume has nothing to do with whether it was success or not.

Once you remove the crappy OEM runflats and put on a proper set of tires, such as Michelin Pilot Super Sports, the car becomes the sports car it was meant to be.
Thats quite a selfish viewpoint. Quite frankly I am not satisfied with the current Z4. It is too big, too heavy, too soft, and has gotten to expensive. If BMW makes a RWD Z2 and if it is a proper sports car I plan on buying it. Although the E89 is an incredibly beautiful car, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Thats quite a selfish viewpoint. Quite frankly I am not satisfied with the current Z4. It is too big, too heavy, too soft, and has gotten to expensive. If BMW makes a RWD Z2 and if it is a proper sports car I plan on buying it. Although the E89 is an incredibly beautiful car, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Too big? It's got the same room shoulder to shoulder as my E46 3er. If you are talking about length, I wouldn't trade the long hood for anything, it makes the car. Too heavy and soft- for what specifically. It's a comfortable GT cruiser, who would buy a metal folding hardtop for track use, anyway? And expense is always a personal thing, everyone values things differently.

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Selfish? - If you want to spin it that way, then ABSOLUTELY!!! Whatever is in MY best interest when it comes to resale value on MY CAR I am all for and not afraid to tell everyone.

How 'bout if I repeat it again JUST FOR YOU: EXCELLENT news!!!!!All of us happy, satisfied 2009 - 2013 Z4 owners don't need some mini-me version of our car around to suck our resale values down!!!!!!

None of us Z4 owners really give a frog's fat a$$ what your opinion is about our car.

All of us that already have the Z4 are quite happy, so go try to rain on someone else's parade because it won't work here. Nice try, thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you back stage.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 08-09-2013 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
Too big? It's got the same room shoulder to shoulder as my E46 3er. If you are talking about length, I wouldn't trade the long hood for anything, it makes the car. Too heavy and soft- for what specifically. It's a comfortable GT cruiser, who would buy a metal folding hardtop for track use, anyway? And expense is always a personal thing, everyone values things differently.
I told this "bimmerjph" what we all think of his opinions. He's just a troll. He'll go away.

Last edited by BlueZ4Arizona; 08-09-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona View Post
Selfish? - If you want to spin it that way, then ABSOLUTELY!!! Whatever is in MY best interest when it comes to resale value on MY CAR I am all for and not afraid to tell everyone.

How 'bout if I repeat it again JUST FOR YOU: EXCELLENT news!!!!!All of us happy, satisfied 2009 - 2013 Z4 owners don't need some mini-me version of our car around to suck our resale values down!!!!!!

None of us Z4 owners really give a frog's fat a$$ what your opinion is about our car.

All of us that already have the Z4 are quite happy, so go try to rain on someone else's parade because it won't work here. Nice try, thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you back stage.
Last time I checked this was the Z2 section. This is for people who are/were interested in buying a Z2. You were the one that came in here first saying how happy you were that the car I was looking forward to buying is probably not going to be made. Quite frankly I don't give a flying "frog" about your resale values, because want a small,lightweight RWD sports car from BMW. If you don't respect that then how am I the troll?

And I am happy you are happy. All I am asking is that you respect those that aren't. As for the parting gifts, can you Fedex them to me? I must have missed them.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Last time I checked this was the Z2 section. This is for people who are/were interested in buying a Z2. You were the one that came in here first saying how happy you were that the car I was looking forward to buying is probably not going to be made. Quite frankly I don't give a flying "frog" about your resale values, because want a small,lightweight RWD sports car from BMW. If you don't respect that then how am I the troll?

And I am happy you are happy. All I am asking is that you respect those that aren't. As for the parting gifts, can you Fedex them to me? I must have missed them.
Yup, I'll Fedex them alright. You know what to do with them when they get there, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4Arizona View Post
Yup, I'll Fedex them alright. You know what to do with them when they get there, right?
Thanks bro! Actually, I do not know what to do with them. Why don't you enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
BlueZ4Arizona
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bro! Actually, I do not know what to do with them. Why don't you enlighten me?
LOL
Appreciate 0