Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z2 Forums > General BMW Z2 Forum

03-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 325 Ci

Will BMW ever create the Z2?

Thought I'd drum things up and ask if there any new rumors about BMW working on the Z2.

I actually like the new Mini Roadster JCW except the fact that it is FWD. Instead, I will probably end up settling for a Miata once I test drive one...But I'm hesitant since it seems a bit under powered. Heck, maybe I'll go the used route and get a Boxster instead...but have never been in love with the looks of the Porsche's as I have been with the latest Z4's.

With BMW's new 4 cylinder engine and focusing on lighter cars/more efficient cars (or at least not gaining any weight while still going larger), I feel it would be a GREAT time to come out with the Z2.

I couldnt' think of anything better than a e89-esque roadster (RWD) that had the power of the z428 and the weight & handling of a Miata.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaDrew View Post
I couldnt' think of anything better than a e89-esque roadster (RWD) that had the power of the z428 and the weight & handling of a Miata.
Then get a Miata and go FI. Easy enough, and cheaper than anything else you've listed.

I haven't seen sh*t on the Z2 front, which to me either signals that something real will be announced soon, or it's completely dead. I haven't figured out which yet.

I agree about the Roadster in general, though I'm more OK with it being FWD. Living in the NE, I'd be after a DD (my crx is the hibernation queen), so Id get the S, not worry about torque steer, and have a convertible I'd be happy with year-round. I just have a hard time dealing with the silly interiors on the Minis, and would prefer something more refined like the 1st gen Z4's.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I just have a hard time dealing with the silly interiors on the Minis, and would prefer something more refined like the 1st gen Z4's.
Lol, so true...I'm hoping that the top down will distract me enough and cause me to look at the scenery instead.

Hopefully we'll hear something by the end of this year. With all of the recent and soon-to-be-released Bimmers, so I hope the "niche" Z2's have only slipped a little...and is not dead.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Hopefully, the BMW gods will enlighten us soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmaDrew View Post

I couldnt' think of anything better than a e89-esque roadster (RWD)...
well, for better or worse, the last that i read was that it was going to be FWD(based on the next mini/fwd 1 series platform)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
BimmaDrew
Private
United_States
Rep

I have heard that it might be a FWD too, but that was well before the Mini Roadster came out. Although the styling will be a night and day difference between the two, it seems like a moot point to have 2 fairly light-weight FWD roasters.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I don't see the point in the Z2 for BMW at this stage. The last thing they need is a 2-seater/roadster slotting in below the Z4. Don't forget the 135i convertible. What are they trying to take on ...jap cars? The low volume MX5 which has that segement wrapped up? Even Honda sadly pulled their S2000, Toyota jettisoned their mid-engined MR2, Ford got rid of their Capri. Audi havent bothered or even Alfa. I'd rather BMW concentrate on something for a bit more $$$ to compete with Benz's SLS AMG, who are not even bothering with a sub-SLK roadster.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I don't see the point in the Z2 for BMW at this stage. The last thing they need is a 2-seater/roadster slotting in below the Z4. Don't forget the 135i convertible. What are they trying to take on ...jap cars? The low volume MX5 which has that segement wrapped up? Even Honda sadly pulled their S2000, Toyota jettisoned their mid-engined MR2, Ford got rid of their Capri. Audi havent bothered or even Alfa. I'd rather BMW concentrate on something for a bit more $$$ to compete with Benz's SLS AMG, who are not even bothering with a sub-SLK roadster.
i won't try to make the business case for the z2(way above my pay grade) but as a consumer i think that the z4 has become a little too much like a mini-sl(power retractable hardtop model only, etc., not to mention a base price for the least powerful model of nearly 49k. to me it's a shame that their only sports car is anything but elemental. if it had not evolved so from the z3 i would certainly agree with you but as it is it's too refined and expensive for me. also, wouldn't the z2 fall into a segment above the miata? it seems that there is room for such a segment given that the z4 base price is double the miatas.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Then get a Miata and go FI. Easy enough, and cheaper than anything else you've listed.

I haven't seen sh*t on the Z2 front, which to me either signals that something real will be announced soon, or it's completely dead. I haven't figured out which yet.

I agree about the Roadster in general, though I'm more OK with it being FWD. Living in the NE, I'd be after a DD (my crx is the hibernation queen), so Id get the S, not worry about torque steer, and have a convertible I'd be happy with year-round. I just have a hard time dealing with the silly interiors on the Minis, and would prefer something more refined like the 1st gen Z4's.
Hopefully it's not completely dead. BMW has been seeking out and researching many niche markets lately with their ability to adapt current and upcoming platforms for niche vehicles. I would think that a smaller, back to basics type roadster would be an ideal niche to fill with the current Z4 having moved further upmarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
As hector stated, the Z2 would most likely slot into the market between the Miata and the Z4. With the current Z4 having moved further upmarket, the Z2 could fill that niche of people looking for a back to basics roadster that is a drivers car (think 1M Coupe and Z4M Coupe). It could be argued the Miata already fills that niche, but the Z2 would most likely offer higher performance, comfort, and luxury, along with German style.