New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
zentra
Private
Rep
Drives: z4

correct way to engage the gears & E-brake

I am still quite puzzled over the switching of gears.
for example, if i have reached my destination, can i just press the 'P' be it from 'D' or 'R' when the car comes to a complete stop ?
secondly, should i only engage E-brake after i pressed 'P' button when i want to stop the car and do the reverse sequence when i want to drive off ?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

I would engage the e-brake then press P so at no stage is the gearbox holding the car. I don't know what park does mechanically in this specific gearbox and I imagine it's designed so that doing it the other way can do no harm but the e-brake's there to stop the car moving and nothing else so let it do its job.

Reconsidering, if pressing P first could be harmful they could have easily made it impossible if the e-brake is not on. In theory the act of pressing P could invoke the sequence e-brake followed automatically by gearbox immobilisation but my guess would be that the separate brake is legally required in most territories.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Putting an automatic gearbox into 'P' mode I believe engages a locking mechanism (possibly a rod of some sort) in the gearbox. You will find that you can't move the car when 'P' is engaged, even if the e-brake is not engaged.

Having said that, there is a school of thought (to which I personally subscribe), that it is not wise to leave the car with 'P' engaged, *without* engaging the e-brake as this could potentially place undue stress on the locking mechanism, especially so when the car is on some sort of incline.

I don't believe there is a right or wrong procedure in regards of whether to engage the e-brake before or after putting an auto gearbox into 'P'. Personally I find that I engage 'P' before engaging the e-brake but not for any particular reason. I also tend to have my foot on the brake when engaging 'P'.

Would agree with 'Toodeep' in that if there was potential to cause damage to the car by engaging 'P' and e-brake in the wrong order, BMW (and other car manufacturers) would have likely developed a mechanism to prevent people from doing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I agree. On a level surface, it shouldn't make a difference. On a steep incline, it might be best to engage the parking brake first, but it shouldn't harm the car not to.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

For whatever it’s worth, here’s what the owner’s manual has to say about the subject:

7-gear sport automatic transmission with dual clutch

1. With the car at a standstill, engage transmission position P
2. Press the start/stop button
3. Set the parking brake.

Best regards,
Ed
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
zentra
Private
Rep

thanks guys! what about if i reverse my car to a standstill and decided to park can i just click on 'P' from reverse gear?
Or do i need to engage to 'D' before i engage 'P' ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentra View Post
thanks guys! what about if i reverse my car to a standstill and decided to park can i just click on 'P' from reverse gear?
You can go to 'P' from any gear. Indeed, according to the handbook, 'P' will automatically engage when you switch off unless you were in 'N' with the key in the ignition which is the only condition that allows the engine to be off and not in 'P' (for towing and some car washes).

Apparently, if left in 'N' for 30 minutes with the engine off, 'P' automatically engages. This leaves it unclear what would happen if you were being towed for 31 minutes and is part of the reason I'd be worried if there is a rod that engages.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
EandS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Again, referring to the owner’s manual provides the following information about towing:

If an electrical malfunction occurs or if towing takes longer than approx. 20 minutes, manually release the parking lock …

The release of the parking lock is covered on page 58 in the PDF version of the manual. It's a bit involved. Makes me wonder what those folk who don't keep their manuals in the vehicle do in such circumstances. No doubt they've read every word of the manual and have photographic memories with instant recall!

In all seriousness, it would be really nice if one could download the latest PDF version of the owner's manual to a thumb drive which could be inserted in a USB port in the vehicle and the content accessed on the navigation screen (unless of course there were an electrical failure).

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited by EandS; 11-30-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
Again, referring to the owner’s manual provides the following information about towing:

If an electrical malfunction occurs or if towing takes longer than approx. 20 minutes, manually release the parking lock …

The release of the parking lock is covered on page 58 in the PDF version of the manual. It's a bit involved. Makes me wonder what those folk who don't keep their manuals in the vehicle do in such circumstances. No doubt they've read every word of the manual and have photographic memories with instant recall!

In all seriousness, it would be really nice if one could download the latest PDF version of the owner's manual to a thumb drive which could be inserted in a USB port in the vehicle and the content accessed on the navigation screen (unless of course there were an electrical failure).

Best regards,
Ed
And I thought I had read the thing cover to cover! I agree about having the manual on the screen and so, evidently, do BMW since they have this facility on the latest 7 series and, presumably on the 5 they've just introduced. It would occupy a relatively tiny amount of space on the z4's hard disk drive (for those who have it). You would think they would appreciate that space is at a premium in a sports car. I recently drove a previous shape S-Class Mercedes and the User Manuals (plural) had to be seen to be believed. They were hardback and the one for their COMAND system alone was bigger than the z4 (the user manual not the car).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentra View Post
these questions make me wonder about the delivery and not about the buyer... my dealership spent like three hours going over everything... i only read the manual for stuff that i forgot or that it involves too many steps, most of the cars functions were explained to me in detail by the delivery and prep team. on the same note Zentra,
      12-01-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
these questions make me wonder about the delivery and not about the buyer... my dealership spent like three hours going over everything... i only read the manual for stuff that i forgot or that it involves too many steps, most of the cars functions were explained to me in detail by the delivery and prep team. on the same note Zentra,
3 HOURS?!!! And you didn't punch him out? "Just gimme the keys, man."
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
zentra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sad but true and on the day of delivery, the sales execu probably just went thru briefly. I'm to be blamed becos i probably got excited/carried away on the test drove date & delivery that I could have missed out such details like the use of electric 'P' & handbrake which is new to me.
i think my handover took like half an hour and i was already in my new ride on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Quote:
... my dealership spent like three hours going over everything...
I learnt to drive in less time that that!!!

You must have the patience of a saint!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i do...
      07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandS View Post
For whatever it’s worth, here’s what the owner’s manual has to say about the subject:

1. With the car at a standstill, engage transmission position P
2. Press the start/stop button
3. Set the parking brake.

Best regards,
Ed
After step #1, do you still have your foot on the brake? I assume you'd only let off the brake when you engage the parking brake?

Would it really do any damage if one was to park on a slope and leave it in P (w/ brake pedal released), and then put parking brake on?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

There is a difference between the "P" on the shift control and the e-Parking Brake. The e-Parking Brake is like the actual mechanical parking brake lever. When you are stationary and engage the e-Parking Brake, a mechanism on the rear brakes lock their movement.

In general, here are some resources that might help you.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...4RUZ5cocbRKrw=

E-Parking Brake

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...8RnJMVP45jlxg=
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Unfortunately can't see links since they want cookies, and I'm using FF, so no cookies for them!

Could you please tell me a very brief gist of the links? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
I would engage the e-brake then press P so at no stage is the gearbox holding the car. I don't know what park does mechanically in this specific gearbox and I imagine it's designed so that doing it the other way can do no harm but the e-brake's there to stop the car moving and nothing else so let it do its job.

Reconsidering, if pressing P first could be harmful they could have easily made it impossible if the e-brake is not on. In theory the act of pressing P could invoke the sequence e-brake followed automatically by gearbox immobilisation but my guess would be that the separate brake is legally required in most territories.
This is the proper method of keeping stress off of the transmission. That goes for any transmission DCT, Auto, Manual. Never a good idea to use the transmission as a method of holding the vehicle in place. Not sure on the DCT but on the auto the park mechanism is plastic. That is common on most auto's from Europe, Japan, US, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

A bit OT: whenever I press 'P', the car sort of 'adjusts' itself by moving a wee bit and 'settles' on its place...what is that exactly?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
^Unfortunately can't see links since they want cookies, and I'm using FF, so no cookies for them!
I'm afraid blocking cookies is not enough. They're all out to get you, so you better get yourself one of these:

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
bill123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
A bit OT: whenever I press 'P', the car sort of 'adjusts' itself by moving a wee bit and 'settles' on its place...what is that exactly?
+1
      07-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
This is the proper method of keeping stress off of the transmission. That goes for any transmission DCT, Auto, Manual. Never a good idea to use the transmission as a method of holding the vehicle in place. Not sure on the DCT but on the auto the park mechanism is plastic. That is common on most auto's from Europe, Japan, US, etc.
So if I'm reversing into a spot, I put on the parking brake when in 'R', and then I put into 'P'? That's better for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
I'm afraid blocking cookies is not enough. They're all out to get you, so you better get yourself one of these:

Alright, you joker.
Appreciate 0