New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #23
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Seeing people perpetuate false information on social media drives me up the wall.

I can't tell you how many people I have un-friended/blocked because of it. Given, I was never very close with them in the first place, but after you try to correct someone they always backpedal with the "well my opinion..." story. You're "opinion" is based on false information and it helps perpetuate the ignorance of the social media world.

Social media could do such great things, but people are just plain idiots. One article that I read earlier this week I wholeheartedly agree with. It basically says that racism, privilege, gun violence, none of that is killing America. Anti-intellectualism is.
This is one (of many) reason i don't subscribe to social media. Even on car forums, take the members in the political and religion sub forums that are always at odds and place them in a bar, car meet, etc... and they'll likely get along very well.

Social media is by far and away the single piece of technology most responsible for creating ignorant mob mentality amongst it's users. It's like digital lord of the flies.
      06-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #24
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post

EDIT: Photo found and added, can't tell you how many people see this and believe he wasn't handcuffed because he was white. He was clearly handcuffed and there are plenty of images out there, but yes Facebook I believe everything in my news feed and never do any research.

The comment firing back was sound, its not privilege but protocol (protecting them so they live to see their trial)

The level of ignorance out there is astounding.

I came across this on another site. Though can't attest to it's validity.

06-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I have been a Facebook person since it was relatively new, back when you had to have a .edu e-mail address to be a member. It was a great way to keep in touch with friends and family I don't see anymore since I live so far away from them now. It's become absolutely miserable though now for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, and I contemplate deleting my account and the app from my phone almost every day.

Then I find a dog picture that is hilarious and it humors me just enough to keep me on.
      06-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I have been a Facebook person since it was relatively new, back when you had to have a .edu e-mail address to be a member. It was a great way to keep in touch with friends and family I don't see anymore since I live so far away from them now. It's become absolutely miserable though now for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, and I contemplate deleting my account and the app from my phone almost every day.

Then I find a dog picture that is hilarious and it humors me just enough to keep me on.
Yeah I used to use it back in those days too, I haven't actively used it in years. The garbage I read on it is just mindbogglingly stupid.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #27
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:

EDIT: Photo found and added, can't tell you how many people see this and believe he wasn't handcuffed because he was white. He was clearly handcuffed and there are plenty of images out there, but yes Facebook I believe everything in my news feed and never do any research.

The comment firing back was sound, its not privilege but protocol (protecting them so they live to see their trial)

[img]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...f6&oe=5624EF13[/img]
The level of ignorance out there is astounding.

I came across this on another site. Though can't attest to it's validity.

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CH1giywUAAAN6CR.jpg[/IMG]
True. Can't say with any certainty if that is accurate or not but assuming it is, the police did the right thing.

How many people would be upset if the police DIDN'T follow protocol, beat him up and violated his rights and he walks (not sure how the judicial process would transpire in that situation). I swear sometimes there are just people that love to go against the grain because they have nothing better to do. There's no pleasing them.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:04 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True. Can't say with any certainty if that is accurate or not but assuming it is, the police did the right thing.

How many people would be upset if the police DIDN'T follow protocol, beat him up and violated his rights and he walks (not sure how the judicial process would transpire in that situation). I swear sometimes there are just people that love to go against the grain because they have nothing better to do. There's no pleasing them.
I hear ya, saw this in another form today also. Somewhat relevant to your post; though i don't think this mentality is confined to proud liberals. And it made me chuckle.

06-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #29
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Mr Tonka: I think part of it is ignorance. I'd say people need to get out more. Not to stir anything, but has having a Black President help reduce racism? Maybe so, if his popularity numbers were high and no if he is running the country to the ground. People are just so much more selfish these days and that indifference includes discrimination which we may even confuse as indifference to other people. Not sure if I wrote that correctly??
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #30
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Wow, what an eye opener mate. I hope that you reported this professor for failing people, not based on their performance in class, but on their appearance. That means that others in your class should have passed, but maybe didn't. And others that actually needed help might have not gotten help. And just passing your for your accent, that doesn't make any sense either.

But you're right on the image part. It makes it very, very difficult for someone like yourself who is not that way, to break away from that stereotype.
Everyday struggles lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
No shit, with your accent, I could probably get away with murder.

Hey btw boss, could you send me a little sound clip saying "time to wake up motherfucker" with a deep Denzel laugh at the end? I don't use an alarm to wake up that often and when I do, I never respect it enough to actually wake up. You would be doing me a great service.
Hahahahaha are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
No, you did your work very well*

Just messing but yeah you're story isn't atypical at all unfortunately. Discrimination is certainly still out there but to the OP's question, I'm not sure if it's rising, it's just these same people who discriminate now have a method to voice their opinions to a wider audience.
Yes, Social media can make any moron seem famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Should have put it in her butt.
lol That's someone's Grandma
      06-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #31
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I hear ya, saw this in another form today also. Somewhat relevant to your post; though i don't think this mentality is confined to proud liberals. And it made me chuckle.

HAHAHA..
Yeah have fun with the police when someone happens to do a little B&E at your house while you are in it. By the time the cops get there it will be a homicide investigation.

Sorry liberals but the police do no have a constitutional right to protect you. Protection is a "best effort" kind of a deal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...eone.html?_r=0
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/suprem...eneral-public/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #32
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
What social media does is multiply what is already out there. Whether it is good or bad, it now reaches more people than it has before and more often throughout the day. No longer are people able to escape society just by being in their homes.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #33
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Crazy stories such as brutality, massacre, war, other stupid crap sells on internet media.
Twitter is an good example.
However, Twitter had a one of the best increase in posting subscription during men's World Cup.
      06-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #34
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Careful what you spread,it may turn into a virus and become bigger than you ever intended and destroying things you don't want destroyed......so spread the cure.
Minds are best when wide and expanding/not narrow and focused.
Discrimination is here to stay but hope good will rule the day,show difference is good and likeness fine,but accepting the different is quite divine.
Be the change you want to see, I don't let ignorance baffle me.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #35
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I'm going to refrain from adding any personal commentary for now but I heard a podcast recently that was REALLY excellent and brought the perspective of both civilians/victims and the police force ...

Listen to this (it's 2 parts) and then I'd be interested to hear your impressions and reactions to it. It's not specific to social media it is more focused on LEOs but social media and 24-Hour news most certainly is a major factor (oops I said I wouldn't add personal commentary just yet lol).

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ently-part-one
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ently-part-two
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktis_Conviction View Post
I'd say no. Minorities will like you to believe so, so that they can play the race card for as long as possible (this is coming from a person of a minority race).
You honestly believe people "want" to play the "race card" rather than have no reason to feel the need to do so?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #37
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I believe I can do whatever the hell I want, even if it may take me two lateral moves and an extra year, I've accepted that and embraced it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #38
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
You honestly believe people "want" to play the "race card" rather than have no reason to feel the need to do so?

All the best.
Depends. I'm not going to make a blanket comment and say that ALL race card comments are done out of want, but some do use it as an excuse to deflect any personal responsibility.

Case in point, we're hiring for a new position here and we interviewed one guy who was black (and gay). We ended up not hiring him because he wanted too much money and didn't have the exact experience we were looking for for the position. Plus he came off as very egotistical in the interview which wouldn't mesh well with the team.

Not long after that he made some post on one of those websites where people can leave reviews on what it's like to work at a specific company. He went on a rant saying he wasted his time on an interview with us and that we didn't hire him because of his race. I thought this was odd since I'm a minority too, but yeah people will definitely pull it out.

His actions and what he posted just justified to me, all the more, that his attitude wouldn't of meshed well with the company.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #39
justanotherdude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 328 [Sold]

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I say no. The world is just getting used to social media and the Information Age, it's a lot easier to see where it was. However people these days also have thinner skin and are offended by everything so it seems like it's worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Depends. I'm not going to make a blanket comment and say that ALL race card comments are done out of want, but some do use it as an excuse to deflect any personal responsibility.

Well, the context you note above doesn't at all come through in the comment to which I replied earlier. Moreover, even with that context, your initial post answers the OP's question by saying "no."

So do you thus think that the fact that some people abuse "the race card" is evidence that discrimination is indeed not on the rise? What exactly does abuse by some have to do with whether discrimination is or is not in fact on the rise? The fact that some people abuse "the race card" may seem to exaggerate the prevalence of discrimination, but in no way does that affect whether that behavior is in fact more or less frequently occurring in society.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #41
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The level of "oppressor" vs "opressee" has not changed. But the use of "the card" adds an additional component to the level of discrimination these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #42
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Well, the context you note above doesn't at all come through in the comment to which I replied earlier. Moreover, even with that context, your initial post answers the OP's question by saying "no."

So do you thus think that the fact that some people abuse "the race card" is evidence that discrimination is indeed not on the rise? What exactly does abuse by some have to do with whether discrimination is or is not in fact on the rise? The fact that some people abuse "the race card" may seem to exaggerate the prevalence of discrimination, but in no way does that affect whether that behavior is in fact more or less frequently occurring in society.

All the best.
Has anyone ever told you it's very difficult to follow what you're trying to say at times?
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #43
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Has anyone ever told you it's very difficult to follow what you're trying to say at times?
Yes, some people have said that before. Others have said the exact opposite. Seeing as little changes about the way I express my thoughts, I've concluded that it's something about the reader/listener that makes that be their view on the matter.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Yes, some people have said that before. Others have said the exact opposite. Seeing as little changes about the way I express my thoughts, I've concluded that it's something about the reader/listener that makes that be their view on the matter.

All the best.
Apologies if English is not your first language, did not think of that...
Appreciate 0