New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
jrothstein
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Dash Trim Creaks

I've got some annoying crackling noises coming from the dash trim which I've specifically tracked down to the silver dials/rings on the climate controls. If I even lightly press down on these aluminum (or plastic?) rings, I get the same "rice crispy" like sounds I get from driving over bumps. I was just wondering if anybody has the same problem, or can emulate the same noise by pressing on these rings. If so, what if anything you did to resolve it.

I could take it in to dealership, but historically I loathe doing so for these type of issues as half the time they either make it worse or just tell me they can't replicate it.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i & 2010 M3

You will have to take it in. A little lube will stop that. Tho this has been discussed already, while nice to look at the Z4s light weight design has its drawbacks. Interior quality is inferior to even the 3 series. Press on the dash and things creek and lots of cheap materals. They took measures to reduce cost that are unfortunate.

Take it in, they won't make it worst.

Overall you will still enjoy the heck out of this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Zone View Post
Interior quality is inferior to even the 3 series. Press on the dash and things creek and lots of cheap materals.

What Z are you driving? A Nissan? My dash is quite, nothing creaks, not even roof. my dash has leather, the rings on the vents are solid, theres no way my E90 had better materials.
      09-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
jrothstein
Rep

I've got the White Nappa extended leather trim. My wood trim also creaks when you press on it, but so far doesn't creak under normal driving use. The dials though are driving me nuts.

I've had 3 BMW's and I'll have to admit that though the internal styling is nice, they are pretty prone to creaking/rattling. In my 3 series the hard plastic dash trim, seat control cluster, and inerior light housing was a total creak fest.

Anyways, I'll mention the creaking rings to the dealer and hope they can clear it up.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

I have white napa leather option and have had absolutely no creaks or noises in the dash.

The quality and meterials on my Z4's upgraded interior is better than my friends 2011 3 Series, which I've driven in a few times. Even he would admit to that.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 09-22-2011 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
What Z are you driving? A Nissan? My dash is quite, nothing creaks, not even roof. my dash has leather, the rings on the vents are solid, theres no way my E90 had better materials.
First let me state that this is the most enjoyable car I've ever had and this is my 5th BMW. I've also owned a Lexus and ha a Nissan and Mitsu Eclipse. But facts are this.

I also have the Nappa Leather package with the Leather Dash and all options except the Storage package which was standard in 09 and only found out when I got the 2010 that it changed. (Dealer upgraded because no more 09s).

-Wood Dash that does indeed creek when you press it. Wood it very thin. You can tell its thickness by tapping it. Also the center console is similar. I noticed this in the showroom also, when I checked to see if it was an installation issue. Its standard so I did not seek to get it repaired. No rattles on bumps thou.

-Lower door bin. Very cheap plastic. Other BMWs 1,3,5 etc have scufflless rubberized door bins.

-A-Frame around windshield cheap plastic.

-Roll bar cheap plastic.

there are other weight/cost compromises.

Perceptions are relative. If I came from another make with cheaper interiors I might think far different. But based on my past experience with 70K cars this interior has some cost cutting. Most don't care and that's fine too. I have interior design in my background so it makes me more particular that all.

Let me restate before people go off the deep end. This is an enjoyable car and a keeper in my book. This should not deter anyone from at least taking a Z for a test drive (With the top down of course). But these could have been done better in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

If you want to see a true "cheap" interior, see the C6 Corvette. I owned one for 3 years. Absolutely no comparison to the fit, finish and material quality in the upgraded Z4 interior. It is like night and day.

"Cheap" is a matter of opinion, I guess.

The bottom of the door is virtually skuffproof. You'd have to take a screwdriver to it to skuff the thick material.

I remember my 2000 Eclipse. Most of the interior below the dash was all easily skuffable.

Thre isn't any material in the Z4 that skuffs, at least in the upgraded interior.

Maybe some of the dashes creak, but it is not all of them, as mine has never uttered a peep.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep

"If you want to see a true "cheap" interior, see the C6 Corvette. I owned one for 3 years. Absolutely no comparison to the fit, finish and material quality in the upgraded Z4 interior. It is like night and day."

Agreed.

"Maybe some of the dashes creak, but it is not all of them, as mine has never uttered a peep."

Wait until you've been married awhile.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Quote:
-Lower door bin. Very cheap plastic. Other BMWs 1,3,5 etc have scufflless rubberized door bins.

-A-Frame around windshield cheap plastic.

-Roll bar cheap plastic. .
While I do not have the dash creaks the OP notes (also have anthracite w. Ivory White), I have to agree with all the points noted above by JayZone. They do not, however, detract from my enjoyment of the car.

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
But based on my past experience with 70K cars this interior has some cost cutting.
There's your problem -- this is not a $70K car. Look at the starting price. For that range, I consider the interior to be fine. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't do anything extra for folks who pile on the options, so you'll always be driving around with a ~ $50K interior more or less.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Mine also has the ivory interior, although I doubt that matters for creaks and rattles, it merely covers the dash plastics with a higher quality finish...

I get dash creaks due to body flex in the car. Its a convertible after all.
Mine has had a plague of creaks in the roof mechanism and dash since I bought it a year ago, I blamed the RFT and 30 profile tyres in combination with our crap road quality for shaking the bejesus out of everything in the car.

I recently changed the RFT to non-RFT, and it made some of the creaks and rattles less obvious.

The dealer did a heap of work on it last week to try and rectify, including two shim kits that have been released by BMW for the issue of dash creaks and the rear centre speaker cover rattles. (so apparently it is a reported and known issue)

Unfortunately, in trying to silence rattles in the roof machanism, they have uncovered a worse rattle in the passenger roll over cover.
Back in again next week...

One day, my peace, will come....

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
There's your problem -- this is not a $70K car. Look at the starting price. For that range, I consider the interior to be fine. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't do anything extra for folks who pile on the options, so you'll always be driving around with a ~ $50K interior more or less.
we will have to disagree. The 1, 3 and 5 series have better materials and plastics for 50K in my opinion.

Dr Stig 2, I had the roll bar rattle also. Was an easy fix at the dealer. I think they added rubber washers and re-seated it. When you have shims on standby that's an issue. But BMW is showing great support to resolve the issue it seems.

OK, I'm going for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Every time I drive the Z4 I marvel at the quality of the interior. Although I am part of the majority with no creaks, no rattles, no squeeks.

As mentioned earlier, that was not the same with my C6.

Test drive a used C6 Corvette (same general price range) down at whatever dealer has a used one on their lot, then come on back and tell us how the Z4 compares in terms of quality. Same with an e85.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 09-23-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
we will have to disagree. The 1, 3 and 5 series have better materials and plastics for 50K in my opinion.

Dr Stig 2, I had the roll bar rattle also. Was an easy fix at the dealer. I think they added rubber washers and re-seated it. When you have shims on standby that's an issue. But BMW is showing great support to resolve the issue it seems.

OK, I'm going for a drive.

Maybe the 5 series, but not the 1 and 3 series in my opinion. The 1 series has a particularly basic interior in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Maybe the 5 series, but not the 1 and 3 series in my opinion. The 1 series has a particularly basic interior in my experience.
Not looks. Z4 has one of the best looking bimmer interiors yet. Quality of materials is the issue. Everything else is such high grade in the Z these just rub me wrong.

Test: Skier219. Find one panel in the 3 series that is the same grade of plastic as the Zs roll bar or the lower door bin. I own a 3 series and you can't. All of the exposed plastics in the 3 series are high grade. Plastics are inevitable for safety and weight, but the grade and quality differ.

I won't beat a dead horse anymore. I'm just hoping the 2012 or 13 does better because this car deserves the best. Hope BMW is reading.

I'll put this pet-peeve to rest. Peace.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

Good morning. I am new here but not new to BMW or Corvette. I am a past happy owner of a 2002 Z3 which I bought new and 3 years ago sold to my twin brother. He is very pleased with the car. The wife wanted a Corvette so we bought a new 2009 Vette. I bought my first new Vette in 1975 and have had a number of them from 62 to the 09 car. The top on my 2009 coupe creaks like crazy. I also feel that the interior is of a lower quality than should be in a 60 to 70K automobile. I just priced a new Grand Sport convertable and they are from 62K up to 75K. I don't see how they get 75K for a Vette these days much less 125K for the ZR1. All of that said, I have been out looking at the new Z4. I agree that it has a better quality interior. What I don't like is the price and the fact that the new Z4 has grown in size and is just not a sports car anymore, in my opinion. ( I stopped at the MB dealer to look at the new SLK. Not a sports car either, and 60K. I have also owned a 1954 MG TF and a 1964 MGB. I have signed up for this blog in hopes of learning more about the proposed Z2. That is the car that has my interest. If we see it soon, the Vette will be gone. Even with the higher price, and upsizing of the Z4, I would buy it instead of another Corvette. Thanks for letting me vent a bit. I will keep my ear to the ground in regard to the Z2.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep

Colorado,

I owned a 2007 C6 Corvette with the Z51 package and now have a 2009 Z4 35i.

The Z4 handles better than my C6 did, in many respects. Since handling is one of the most important aspect of a sports car I would include the Z4 in any sports car discussion that also included the C6.

..and that's even a comparison of a C6 with the Z51 that handled better than the base C6, vs. my 35i, without M sport suspension.
...and comparing the Michelin PS2s I put on the C6 vs the OEM Runflats still on the Z4 (soon to be replaced).

So, I'd have to respectfully disagree with your opinion, as would hundreds of others here. If you want to vent or share your less than stellar personal opinions about the Z4 the suggestion would be to do it in front of any group EXCEPT the hundreds of Z4 (e89) owners here. You won't get any warm fuzzies from us.

ie. I would never post what I stated above over on the C6 forum.

The e85 and e89 have basically the same wheelbase at 98" and the e89 is about 5 inches longer than the e85 at a relatively short 166.9". Not what any would really consider a true "upsize".

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 10-13-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I also have the Ivory white nappa leather with anthracite trim and after nearly two years of driving, I still have never heard a creak from the dash or the roof. I also think that the materials used in the E89 are good. I had a Z3 and two previous generation Z4's and I can honestly say that I am enjoying this car all around better than any of them.

I was very happy with all three of them, but this car for me is superior in every way.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

notice the OP is in Houston, TX.. humidity and heat play a big role in the problem he's seeing or hearing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Have the Z since 2009. Been driving it daily in really bad, bumpy roads and no creaks, no rattles, no squeaks here as well. Only bad thing is one 296 style wheel had a very thin crack on it 9 months ago but got it fixed in 20 mins.
Maybe some cars went through different materials?
      10-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
jrothstein
Rep

Just a follow up to my original post; I'll be sending my Z4 in to the dealer in a few weeks to have the creaks looked at. In addition to the dash trim in the climate control area "crackling", the top when up has started to make a "clacking" sound emenating from the rear window behind the passenger' seat when going over bumps, and the plastic molding around the seat controls on the driver's side creaks when I shift my weight. The seat molding plastic creaking was also an issue on my last 328, though it took a few years to develop.

On the contraversy over material quality, I have to say that my Z uses better materials and less plastic than my 328 did, however this may be attributed to the fact that I got the extended leather package on my Z.

However, I have owned Hondas, BMW's, Volvos, and a Mercedes during my life, and I must say that though BMW vehicles have had the best handling, engine, and aesthetics, they have also been the absolute worst when it comes to the issue of creaking/buzzing/rattling from internal components.. Now I want to clarify, I'm not implying poor build quality, nor poor fitment-- my Z has an absolutely beautiful interior and everything fits flush and appears great. After owning numerous cars, and three BMW's, the root cause of these problems is amazingly easy to distill.. For whatever reason, BMW loves using HARD PLASTIC in areas subject to torsion and stress. They also have no issue with using hard plastic components that touch other hard plastic components.

Take the hard plastic molding that encloses the seat controls. It's basically a two part shell that clips together. Hard plastic.. Clips.. In an area that is subject to constant torsion and stress as you shift your weight, make turns, etc. On my old Volvo, this same enclosure was made from a more rubberized almost foam like plastic that under no circumstances could possibly produce any noise, even if one were to physically bend it.

I'll admit, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to creaks and rattles, I like my ride to be quiet except for the sound of the engine and the wind. It frustrates me to no end to love everything about my BMW's; complex things competitors can't get right like styling, handling, performance-- only to have them fail at something so ridiculously simple like not using crackling hard plastic in areas subject to stress or contact.. This is doubly important when you decide to equip your cars with harsh RFT.

Anyways, rant off.. And for the posters comparing a Vette to the Z4, that's like comparing SPAM to a steak. One is a luxury sports car that I feel appeals to someone who likes class and style, the other is just a brute force muscle machine that appeals to someone that just thinks HP is all that matters. A better comparison would be an Audi or Mercedes, and I can tell you that both use less hard plastic in key areas.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #22
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrothstein View Post
I've got some annoying crackling noises coming from the dash trim which I've specifically tracked down to the silver dials/rings on the climate controls. If I even lightly press down on these aluminum (or plastic?) rings, I get the same "rice crispy" like sounds I get from driving over bumps. I was just wondering if anybody has the same problem, or can emulate the same noise by pressing on these rings. If so, what if anything you did to resolve it.

I could take it in to dealership, but historically I loathe doing so for these type of issues as half the time they either make it worse or just tell me they can't replicate it.
thanks.
i had a similair problem, it sounded like the dash, but was infact the sun visor, but sounded just like dash rattle.
Appreciate 0