New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Different strokes for different folks

We're all individuals and have differing tastes, at least here we have a common interest being the Z4, but then we all start branching off and doing our own thing to our cars. The point of this thread is just to openly discuss why some ppl do some things. It's not to compliment or criticize, I just want to genuinely know what makes ppl tick. Maybe you guys have some curiosities of your own. Ok, let's start.

1. clearbra/protective layering on body panels: I get it, really. It keeps the car in (near) pristine shape. I know because I drive a lot, on highways, etc, and whenever I wash the car, I see all these nicks, chips, etc and it's a bit aggravating but I accept it as a 'cost' driving in the real world. However, I dunno if I would ever get these types of protection because, aren't you just keeping the car blemish-free for the next owner? Or maybe the other way of looking at it is you keep replacing the 3M film (or whatever), so your car keeps staying clean...but the car still has an artificial film on it and you're not enjoying all of the car, so to speak. I dunno.

2. no front plates: I totally agree, but if it's against the law, I can't be bothered risking it. Also, unless the car looks odd w/ a front plate or if it has to be placed at the side, where it would look nasty, it's really no biggie as most cars have a space to place the plate. If we're talking about a Veyron w/ that crazy chunnel grill or a Zonda w/ the pointy centre, then a front plate would look nasty, but there's space in the Z4 for a front plate.

3. clear reflectors: Doesn't look much different vs the OEM yellow ones. Similarly, blackened light covers, doesn't that reduce the visibility of the lights?

4. tints: initially I thought it would be cool, but then don't they inevitably turn 'bubbly' after a few years? Also, I don't want to risk impairing my view at night, esp if the tint's too dark.

5. debadging: do ppl mainly do it for the 'clean' look? Maybe some have a higher trim and want to be a sleeper, or, conversely, a base trim wanting to appear to be a higher model?

6. really large wheels: I'd never do a mod just for looks if it detrimentally affects performance, and if the wheel gets too large, that would fall into this category. Do these supersized wheels really look better than our std sizes?

I'm sure many members have some or most of these, so, again, if it's tastefully-done, I'm not trying to diss it and they probably turned out great and looks great. Like I said, different strokes/folks.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

For me, it's about two things: (1) eliminating as many things that would distract the eye from the lines of the car and (2) maximizing contrast.

This means the front plate, reflectors, and most badging has to go, as they all distract the eye.

Maximizing contrast means, on a light-colored car, tinting the windows. I want that contrast between the roof/body and the windows. On a white or silver car, I feel the tint is a must do. (It's also practical to keep the heat out.)

Maximizing contrast also means avoiding dark wheels, as they blend in with the tires and the gap between the wheel arches. I prefer silver painted or brushed metal wheels for this reason. It's also the reason I prefer the black kidneys on a light-colored car.

Otherwise, I am not too concerned about wheel size. I like 18" wheels on the E85/86 and 18" or 19" on the E89. Rare is the 20" wheel that looks good on the E89, IMO, but they do exist, especially the Vossen wheels.

Also, no clear bra for me for the reasons you mention. I just try to avoid tailgating on the highway, though it's tough with the Prius hyper-milers on the freeways here in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

That's an interest concept, maximizing contrast. I personally am the opposite, reducing contrast for the wheel/tires, so if I had a choice, I would have gone for darker wheels.

What if there was a recessed 'cutout' space in the front bumper to make way for a front plate...would front-plate-haters then feel compelled to put a plate there or else the empty space would look even worse?

Also, what do front-plate-haters feel about having a rear plate: does it look nasty to them? (Of course, ignoring that it is legally-required.)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I don't clear bra my car for the same reason you mentioned - why keep it nice for the new owner?

I like contrast, hence I has a white with red interior and matte black wheels.

Reflectors: don't really care. I didn't even notice it. On the M3, however, it's annoying as it looks out of place.

Front plates: hated it but it's ok not to have front plates in California (unless you meet a cop that has nothing better to do).

Debadged my rear Z4 emblem as it doesn't look right. I kept the emblem on my M3.

Tint: didn't like it as I drive with the windows/top down most of the time anyway. I like to be seen too haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
Tint: didn't like it as I drive with the windows/top down most of the time anyway. I like to be seen too haha.
Hey, speak for yourself, don't lump me in w/ you, Mr Vain. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Deep down you know you do!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
. I like to be seen too haha.
I am not too big a fan of "being seen" so I camouflage my car by keeping it dirty
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I am not too big a fan of "being seen" so I camouflage my car by keeping it dirty
When my Z4 gets dirty it looks like crap. When my truck gets dirty, it just adds character.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
toofache32
Rep
Drives: mine

Wow. Lots of jargon here but thankfully google helps me understand what you people are talking about. I didn't know there were so many gangsta's on this. I never understood tint since I have never lived in the ghetto or sold drugs. I haven't put much thought into it. I love my Z4 but it's still just a car?

I'll hide from the eggs and fruit thrown my way now...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Front plate - you can't be pulled over (at least in New York) for this alone. If you get pulled over for something else, they can tack it on. I guess I'm willing to take the risk and I've never had a problem. If we had euro style plates, I might consider it because it wouldn't overlap the grills or hang below that part of the bumper. But prob not...I think it dramatically takes away from the appearance of the front of the car. the back plate is OK for 2 reasons: it fits in a recess so it's not sticking out there and I'm more picky about what I look like comin' atcha. Going away from you the dust obscures the car anyway LOL.

Clear bra- no way. Dirt always builds up on the edge and I think the paint doesn't shine as well.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Wow. Lots of jargon here but thankfully google helps me understand what you people are talking about. I didn't know there were so many gangsta's on this. I never understood tint since I have never lived in the ghetto or sold drugs. I haven't put much thought into it. I love my Z4 but it's still just a car?

I'll hide from the eggs and fruit thrown my way now...
Oh boy, aren't you asking for it!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Hmmm. This is somewhat of a strange thread, but I'll bite.

I'm not a ClearBra user, but I certainly do understand why folks do it. The same for clear/painted reflectors, not me, but I get it. I agree a 20" wheel (or larger, gasp) looks odd on the E89, and I'm very happy with my 19" 326s.

Now, as for the omission of a front plate, debadging and tints, I'm apologetically subjecting you to a small rant. Seemingly eons ago now, I attended a small, widely respected well-known design school in NYC. This school, along with one other in California, are the two largest sources of automotive designers in the US. In other words, some of my classmates went on to design the cars we see on the road every day. Though it was not my major through simple osmosis I was very aware of the process as it's taught, and watched 17/18 year old kids poorly cutting blue foam turn into 21 year old beginning car designers who could make a model incredibly well. It's an impressive skill, to say the least.

I included that as a qualifier for this paragraph. When a car like the Z4 is designed, things like a front plate and "Z4SDrive35is" plaque are not part of the designer's vision. You can see that clearly in that both things are 'added on', if the front plate was meant to be there, the designer would have incorporated it into the design - which they do for the rear plate. Trunks and lower bumpers have a plate space in their design, and some front bumpers do as well - but not ours.

Additionally, when designers design car exteriors, the windows are pitch black. This is for the reason Hujan mentioned, contrast. To introduce this contrast when viewing from the outside, I have my windows tinted at 35%. That level doesn't introduce any visibility issues day or night, and very classily (IMO) smokes the windows to create a nicer appearance. Side benefit is they keep the car a little cooler. FWIW, if you have a good quality tint (like 3M) installed by an authorized installer, the tints shouldn't 'bubble'. My previous E85 had it's tint film on for over 5 years, still looked the same it did they day it was installed when I traded it in.

In sum, i don't have a front plate or huge badges because they were never meant to be there in the first place, and I like look of the windows with a tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Front plate - you can't be pulled over (at least in New York) for this alone. If you get pulled over for something else, they can tack it on. I guess I'm willing to take the risk and I've never had a problem. If we had euro style plates, I might consider it because it wouldn't overlap the grills or hang below that part of the bumper. But prob not...I think it dramatically takes away from the appearance of the front of the car. the back plate is OK for 2 reasons: it fits in a recess so it's not sticking out there and I'm more picky about what I look like comin' atcha. Going away from you the dust obscures the car anyway LOL.
Here in California, you absolutely can get pulled over for no front plate, but I don't worry about that because the police usually have better things to do, at least here in Los Angeles. What I *do* worry about is the pesky Dept of Transportation (Parking Enforcement). They write no front plates like no tomorrow. They can hang a front plate ticket on your car whenever it's parked on a public street, and they go out of their way to enforce it. I have never once been pulled over for no front plate, but a meter paid hung a ticket on my car once when I was parked on a side street.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

A side question re front plates: I noticed that some cars w/o them place them on the dashboard instead - does that prevent getting ticketed?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Clear bra- no way. Dirt always builds up on the edge and I think the paint doesn't shine as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
A side question re front plates: I noticed that some cars w/o them place them on the dashboard instead - does that prevent getting ticketed?
You'll still get ticket for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #17
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

I figure I'm not only paying BMW for their mechanical capability, reliability, and technology, but also for their design. If I didn't like it I wouldn't have bought it.
Of course 100% of the car isn't always perfect for 100% of the consumer base, which is why aftermarket exists... so I'm sure you'll get many different feelings here about upgrading.

I prefer to keep my car stock. If I do change anything it'll always be small or subtle, and I prefer to stay with BMW parts when I can.

Only changes have been: short antenna, painted side reflectors, and radar detector hardwire. I'm also figuring out how to install a ZHP shift knob since I miss my old one and the 6spd knob in the E89 feels too... squarish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Here in California, you absolutely can get pulled over for no front plate, but I don't worry about that because the police usually have better things to do, at least here in Los Angeles. What I *do* worry about is the pesky Dept of Transportation (Parking Enforcement). They write no front plates like no tomorrow. They can hang a front plate ticket on your car whenever it's parked on a public street, and they go out of their way to enforce it. I have never once been pulled over for no front plate, but a meter paid hung a ticket on my car once when I was parked on a side street.
Wow that blows. I live up in the Bay Area and haven't had an issue with no front plate. ...keep in mind I've got NJ tags so most Cali LEOs probably don't know (or care) that NJ requires both.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Here is my somewhat Chinese perspective

1. clearbra/protective layering on body panels:
Cleabra is for female passengers only.

2. no front plates
Tried it and traffic police as well as expressway toll collectors were all constantly after me.
License plates are blue with white letters in China, so they really stick out, but a car with no license plates looks wrong as well... I think car makers are doing a good job integrating these into the over all design.

3. clear reflectors:
Not a problem here.

4. tints:
Everyone has it in China because the Chinese summers are always hot. But because of the green color which is already there on the windows from factory, I regret getting the golden tint that I thought would match the orion silver metallic. Green+gold is just not a good color combination. As my car is parked outside these months, I just cannot get myself to take it off before autumn. I would never tint front or rear windows as so many people do in China because I drive alot in the evening. And it is like wearing sunglasses at night.

5. debadging:
sDrive is not the best name, but removing it is hardly necessary. Almost everyone here knows what a Z4 is, even if it is completely debadged, and almost noone knows what the difference is between a 23i and 35is, even if it is not debadged.

6. really large wheels:
In China you are not supposed to change the wheels. At least for the bi-annual check you need to put the originals back on. But I think 18" is a great size for this car as well. At times I even think the wheel housings on these cars have become too big. Anyway, what matters more is how wide and concave the wheels are. I love the concaveness of M-wheels such as those on the M5. The std Z4 wheels could have needed even more of this.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

[QUOTE=vasmir;14399123]

Only changes have been: short antenna, painted side reflectors, and radar detector hardwire. I'm also figuring out how to install a ZHP shift knob since I miss my old one and the 6spd knob in the E89 feels too... squarish.

/QUOTE]

I believe it just pulls off. Grab it and pull really hard straight up. that's how it worked on my 525. Just be careful not to smash yourself in the face!

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I am in for 5 out 6. Good discussion Thread for individuality

Evereything listed "For Me" except #6 is about having a clear and clean looks, in my opinion.

1. Clear Bra- I have used a clear bra on my last 2 "personal show cars", including my 09, 35i, for many reasons:
a. My Z is not my daily driver and I am very PROTECTIVE and particular with the car its over all condition. Paint chips, nicks, dings are not for me. My clear bra I had on my last Acura Type S was on for 5 years, on a silver finsih and no one could see it unless specifically looked for. Same as on the my Z. I bought it with it installed and after 28K miles there is 1 rock chips that went thru the 3M, but literally 0 nicks, dings etc. As well, nothing builds up on the seams unless you let.
b. Bugs, tar, road debris- I keep the car super clean and waxed al all times. The clear bra is waxed as well and all road debris just wipes off vs glusing on to the paint.
c. RESALE- the car will always have a better resale value as it will be in close to OEM comdition and will be in better condiition than a car with a front full load of road rash. The thought of you saving the car for the next person is true and pays me in the long run in the form of a chip free paint front end and higher resale payday in my pocket.

2. No Front Plate-
a/ Purely UGLY for my taste so I removed it. Nothing more, nothing less.
b. It ruins the front end, in my opioion. If MA had cool Euor plates it would be on it. I can't same the same for Massachusetts state plate.
c. Illegal in MA but in 7 years on my last 2 cars I have never been pulled over. For my annual inspection, I zip tie the plate to the front grill and then remove it when I leave the shop. I do always carry the plate in the trunk and IF I were to get pulled over, I keep the zip ties ready on it to reinstall at any time.

3. Reflectors- My 1st mod was to remove them and smoke them with a 20% smoked film. Always reversible for resale and next owner, should this car get pryed from my cold, dead hands.
a. The orange front reflectors on the F Quarter panels, the red rear reflectors, and the 3rd tail light red lens, for me, are a big distraction and add to many mixed colors to the car. 1. Body color, 2. S drive badge colors right next to it, 3. BMW roundel Blue color (gone on mine-chnged to black) 4. next to the chrome roundel. Make up your mind BMW.

4. Tints- Mass State law allows 35% all around.I went with 20% all around.
a. Purely an asthetic reason for me. I love the look, as mentioned, of the contrasting black windows to the Space Grey body.
b. I have no issues seeing at night.
c. At inspection time the top and windows are down. Not illegal.
d. On my last 2 cars as mentioned above in 7 years the tint has never bubbled not degraded in any way. I buy the best and have it professionally installed.

5. De-Badging-
a. For me I dont need anyone to know what the car is. Just yesterday, I was asked "what is this. I have never seen one",
b. Too many badges and makes the side and rear look too busy and distracts from the beaty of the lines.
c. I removed the 35i sdrive side badges and the rear Z4 badge. I can always re install them for resale with my 2 sided tape.

6. Wheels- I have 18's I love the size. I would consider 19 at most but would prefer a drop to 20 inch wheels. Larger does not mean better in my opinion PLUS extra weight and cost.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
I believe it just pulls off. Grab it and pull really hard straight up. that's how it worked on my 525. Just be careful not to smash yourself in the face!
Yep, you got it.
The issue I have with the E89 shift knob is it's a one piece design permanently attached to the leather boot and boot frame... so any ZHP solution will have to be connected to that leather boot... I'll post a thread if I ever get it looking nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #22
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BMWZ4Rider, I don't know about you, but I'm finding some of those roundel decals are peeling off at the corners after just a couple of months. I was very careful to clean the roundel before applying. I had some extras so I put new ones on, but this is not a long term mod. There;s a guy in the UK that sells roundels with different colors and I would get those but I don't know how to take off the roundel in the trunk lid.

Appreciate 0