New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
tysonwills
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 2.2

iPod music

Ok guys hope someone can answer this it seems to be a minefield.
My 2009 sdrive has only aux and no USB in centre console I want to be able to play music from my iPod and use the steering wheel controls to navigate songs. But apparently this is not possible.If I get a snap in phone cradle for my iphone can I use it to play the music instead using the wheel buttons. Or is my best option to install the parrot system I had on my old z4 and use the iPod that way or is there a 3rd party media device that could solve my problem
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

I had the same on my 2011 23i, very basic stereo with terrible sound. I also wanted the ability to plug my iPod in and control it the same as yourself.
I completed all of this by buying a brand new BMW head unit that has USB control and Bluetooth built-in. I installed this along with the USB/AUX socket in the centre console (and a microphone for the phone side of it), then coded it to the car and "Hey-Presto" I now have a fully functional stereo that does all that I want of it and it all looks genuine.
Oh and the other bonus is that the sound on the new unit is 100% far superior to the old unit.
You can pick these head units up used on eBay, but I'd go for a new one at least you know it'll give you a good number of trouble-free years use. You can find new units through eBay or Alliexpress.

Another OEM option is to go all out and fit iDrive, should cost in the region of around 1000$/£ but the majority of that will be used units. I priced it all up over here in the UK just recently and I could get the flip-up screen, screen cover, all cables, iDrive controller, head-unit and cover plate for just under £900. So not too high if you want to go the full-hog with sat-nav and a nice screen.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0