New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #243
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I think that is a great looking and rare color - congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #244
dknightx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 35is

2012 sDrive 35is

Hi guys,

I've just taken Performance Center Delivery of my 2012 Z4 sDrive 35is. It has been a LOOONG wait - I actually placed the order back in late December, did European Delivery in late April, and it was 10 weeks in transit to redelivery.

I cannot tell you how big the smile has been on my face driving the car the past 2 days. It is still a bit early, but I'm already thinking that this may be my favorite BMW ever (and I've owned around ten of them, including two M3s and an M5). I have always been a roadster fan and I think BMW has simply nailed it with this car - perfect balance of looks and performance for my needs.

In the next month I'll be replacing the run flats with Michelin Super Sports.

I'll be giving it a thorough detail this weekend and will post pictures once I'm done.

-David
      08-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #245
oldkingdom
Executive Producer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 F82 M4 (YAS/Silverstone)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2012 BMW Z4 35is  [8.00]
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Hey all -

J Ryan here. Picked up a 2012 Z4 35is a couple weeks ago.

I'm a long time BMW guy, but this is a first in several categories. First Z (first convertible in general, actually) and first auto (DCT) and first true two-seater.

Really digging it so far and glad to be here. Thanks for all the future help.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #246
Tritholan
China
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4sDrive30i

introduction, tips, suggestions and thoughts

hi guys,

have been following this forum for over a week and with my first post, i wish to introduce my self and at the same time get some advise.

I am Sam and I am from India but live in China now (10+years). Have driven only Japanese cars all my life and finally have decided to get rid of all my stuff and settle for a nice BMW Z4. As mentioned by Asbjorn in the post earlier, prices for BMW here in China are crazy, with the 2012 sDrive20i vantage costing well over 100K US$. The price tag for a new Z4 has always been a deterrent but my love for the car always keeps pushing me to go and pull the trigger. Last week a second hand Z4, listed on the Certified BMW Pre Owned - BMW Premium Selection caught my eye. I would be flying to Shanghai next week for a test drive and if all goes well, I would be driving back my new toy from Shanghai to Shenzhen (around 1050 miles).

With the introductions in place I wish to have thoughts and advise (what to look out for) of the forum members.

BMW Z4 sDrive30i - Luxury

Black Sapphire metallic
Exclusive leather Nappa Ivory White

First registration - March 2010
Production date - not known
Mileage - 20,500 Miles
Service and repair history - will check at dealer next week. He confirmed on phone that there are no accidents or major repairs.

Original on road price (03/2010) - 116K + 10K = 126K (dealer price + tax)
Current offer (09/2012) - 65K

So, what do you all think about the deal.... any and all comments are welcome.

Most importantly, what would you want me to look out for during the test drive next week. Thanks to everyone.

Cheers!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #247
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritholan View Post
I am Sam and I am from India but live in China now (10+years). Have driven only Japanese cars all my life and finally have decided to get rid of all my stuff and settle for a nice BMW Z4.

BMW Z4 sDrive30i - Luxury

Black Sapphire metallic
Exclusive leather Nappa Ivory White

First registration - March 2010
Production date - not known
Mileage - 20,500 Miles
Service and repair history - will check at dealer next week. He confirmed on phone that there are no accidents or major repairs.

Original on road price (03/2010) - 116K + 10K = 126K (dealer price + tax)
Current offer (09/2012) - 65K

So, what do you all think about the deal.... any and all comments are welcome.

Most importantly, what would you want me to look out for during the test drive next week. Thanks to everyone.

Cheers!!
Hi Sam

Great to hear you are getting yourself ready for the Chinese Z4 experience!

Premium selection sounds like a good idea, and the price seems resonable. I got a 35i with half the milage, but one year older for around 100k more in April. But this was from a private seller! As the market for 30i is much bigger here, good premium selection deals are on offer! I got my 2nd hand Z4 from Chengdu and drove it home to Tianjin with one stop-over in Xian. Here are my comments:

+ I believe the 30i with 6AT is a very reliable machine as it is imported, and it doesnt feature any technologies known for expensive quality problems. I wouldnt be too nervous and the car probably never saw any snow or freezing temps. You will be missing the option of tuning the car for more power later, but that is not a big issue when you live inside big traffic jam anyway. Dont however underestimate the value of being able to extend the "life-time" of your car-crush with tuning! This could eventually lower your car-turnover and save money in the long run. In any case, the sound of the 30i is awesome and probably a safer choice!

+ Do check the tires well before setting off on such a long journey, and bring someone to accompany you on the trip

+ I would also get the oil changed right away. You just never know what the previous owner used, or even what BMW used, if you didn't see the actual castrol edge bottle... there are so many fake products in China, especially wihin this segment. And I experienced two times that I ordered 5W-40 and got 10W-30 - or something else - due to poor communication between the sales guy and the shop. Tell them you will take the empty bottles with you home to make sure!

+ Check the sound system properly. And I mean properly! Its a convertible and the speakers behind the seats (4-5 in total) are "outside". It will be very annoying to find out later that one speaker is broken and you have to spend the honey-moon with no music.

+ Try and demand that they install the latest Chinese map. You can check the version in iDrive. China is building new roads with serious speed, and it shouldn't cost the dealership much to install it, but it will cost you alot to do it later.

+ Vechicle registration is probably only done on week days, and you will need to re-register your car in sz to get the blue plates within one month. You maybe already know this process from previous car ownerships here? But until then you can legally hide from all the speed cams, and I personally wish I had enjoyed this period to a much greater extend. Do expect the toll gate cashiers to occasionally check your paper plates though.

+ You cannot expect BMW dealers to accept foreign credit cards, so check in advance if you plan to use such cards... I guess if they accept it anywhere in China, Shanghai must be one of them. A local debit card is the safest choice.

+ Check carefully if there are any scratches on the lower part of the front bumber, or if the doors have any marks from being hit by other cars' doors. Its likely to have happened and can be used as towards price negotiation!

ok, those were my initial thoughts, happy shopping!

Last edited by Asbjorn; 09-08-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #248
GangaBH
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i - Black/Red

Hello - new forum member & owner here

Hi all,

picked up a 2009 35i a few days back. Wanted to do a first post . I am in Chicago. Had a blast this weekend driving it around. Sadly, no good driving roads here in IL...

2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Black Sapphire + Red Interior
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #249
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Greetings and Salutations!

It’s been a while since I hung out on any of the boards, so long in fact that I spent about an hour trying to figure out where “z4um.com” went.

Anyway, I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks, mostly staring at pictures before ultimately placing an order for a yellow 35is (taxi comments not withstanding).

We’re doing the performance center delivery in early Dec. and it feels like a year away.

This will be my 3rd Z4... as much as I keep telling myself that I need to grow up and get a sedan, I just cant do it.

2003 3.0 - Sport
2006 3.0si - Sport
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #250
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox
Greetings and Salutations!

It’s been a while since I hung out on any of the boards, so long in fact that I spent about an hour trying to figure out where “z4um.com” went.

Anyway, IÂ’ve been lurking for a couple weeks, mostly staring at pictures before ultimately placing an order for a yellow 35is (taxi comments not withstanding).

WeÂ’re doing the performance center delivery in early Dec. and it feels like a year away.

This will be my 3rd Z4... as much as I keep telling myself that I need to grow up and get a sedan, I just cant do it.

2003 3.0 - Sport
2006 3.0si - Sport
Fantastic!!! Never grow up! Let us hear how the ED went....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #251
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0 Alpine White

Smile

Hi all!

I'm not new... been on here for almost two years now. I have some exciting news to share... On 9/20/12 we ordered a 2013 Z4 35i; Alpine White with Red Kansas leather, nav, etc. You get the idea. I traded in my 2005 Z4 for a new little beauty and I'm so excited - I'm beside myself!! I've never ORDERED a car before. Sure wish I could have done the ED, but oh well...

I'm super excited this morning, as I found out they have started production on my car!! Wooo Hoooo!! I'm hoping to have her home by Thanksgiving (if not earlier, by some miracle---lol) and can not wait to drive her!! Oh, and Ive already received my rubber stubby that will replace that stock monstrosity!

Anyway, just wanted to check in and share my GLEE with those that understand!!
Have a FAB-U-LOUS day everyone!!
      10-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #252
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangaBH View Post
Hi all,

picked up a 2009 35i a few days back. Wanted to do a first post . I am in Chicago. Had a blast this weekend driving it around. Sadly, no good driving roads here in IL...

2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Black Sapphire + Red Interior

Great pics! Love the b/w with the skyline in the background!!
      10-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #253
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylovebus View Post
Hi all!

I'm not new... been on here for almost two years now. I have some exciting news to share... On 9/20/12 we ordered a 2013 Z4 35i; Alpine White with Red Kansas leather, nav, etc. You get the idea. I traded in my 2005 Z4 for a new little beauty and I'm so excited - I'm beside myself!! I've never ORDERED a car before. Sure wish I could have done the ED, but oh well...

I'm super excited this morning, as I found out they have started production on my car!! Wooo Hoooo!! I'm hoping to have her home by Thanksgiving (if not earlier, by some miracle---lol) and can not wait to drive her!! Oh, and Ive already received my rubber stubby that will replace that stock monstrosity!

Looks like you beat me by 2 days (ordered on 9/22)!

If you feel like stalking your car, I've gotten a kick out of calling this number:

(1-800) 831-1117

Its a BMWNA number. When you call, just say "Production Status" and a robot will ask you for your production number. Just follow the prompts and it will tell you what your car is up to.

As of yesterday, mine was in the paint shop.

Here's a link to the blog that has all the "track my build" steps and other things that you can do:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/ho...d-to-delivery/.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #254
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep

Gigglebox,

Awesome; congrats!! Haaa, i've already found that number and have been stalking. LOL
One thing though... you can't find out specifics unless you talk to a representative, right? The automated # just tells me that I'm in production and my completion date is 10/16. This morning it said my completion date is 10/17 - uhh ohhh...I hope that doesn't continue! Anyway, when I talked to the rep. yesterday morning, they just told me it was in production and no more.

Oh and thanks for posting that link. I had found that last week on the forum. That's pretty cool! When is your expected completion date?
      10-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #255
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The first couple of time that I called (last week), the robot said what it said to you “it’s in production and the completion date was 10/10”. Then a couple days ago, I called and it said it was in the Paint Shop. Called again last night and it said that it was on its way to the “Port of Exit”.

So it does look like you can get more detail, but not until it’s at certain points in the process. I wonder how mine beat yours out of the factory, having been ordered days after?

Unfortunately, it looks like I’ll still have to wait because I selected the Performance Center Delivery. They said that the earliest slot I could have was Dec 6th due to a busy delivery schedule at the South Carolina plant. So… if it’s already starting its journey to the states, it looks like it will be sitting in South Carolina for a while before they let me play with it. I considered having them cancel the Performance Center thing, but I hadn’t seen any confirmed dates yet and there was no guarantee that even if I had them ship it here that I still wouldn’t have to wait until December. I had a game of delivery chicken going on and I decided to just let it happen rather than doing something that could confuse a computer somewhere into making me wait even longer.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #256
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep

How exciting that yours is waiting to be shipped! Idk why yours is ready first unless it really didn't get ordered when they said it did or there was some other issue... who knows. I'm just ready for it to be done and here!! My 05 Z is on the lot at the local dealer and it looks sad with no one to drive her! LOL

I called a little bit ago and the 'robot' said that my car was in the body shop. Wooo Hoooo - I guess... hahaa. I'm a little sad that the dealership never told us anything about the PCD or ED. Guess it doesn't matter much anyway; I doubt that my hub could've taken the time off work. Do you live close to SC?
      10-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #257
Lackey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 M Sport Vert

Garage List
2011 Z4 30i  [7.00]
gigglebox & amylovebus: ask the dealer for the name of the ship that will be transporting and then go to www.siitech.com and/or www.marinetraffic.com and track the ship while in range of shore antennas. Welcome, and enjoy the drive!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #258
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey
gigglebox & amylovebus: ask the dealer for the name of the ship that will be transporting and then go to www.siitech.com and/or www.marinetraffic.com and track the ship while in range of shore antennas. Welcome, and enjoy the drive!!
Thank you, I most certainly will!

Haven't called today yet, but as of yesterday, my completion was still 10/17. Does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes to reach the dealer once its shipped? I hope it doesn't take 10 wks as someone else stated. Hopefully that was just because they did ED and then it was shipped over.
      10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #259
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylovebus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackey
Thank you, I most certainly will!

Haven't called today yet, but as of yesterday, my completion was still 10/17. Does anyone have a general idea of how long it takes to reach the dealer once its shipped? I hope it doesn't take 10 wks as someone else stated. Hopefully that was just because they did ED and then it was shipped over.
Mine was eight weeks from order to delivery. East coast. Felt like two years though.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #260
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i 6mt

Giggle box,
I wouldn't cancel the Performance Center Delivery unless you've done it before. I took delivery of my 35i back in June and would never trade that experience for even the best showroom delivery ... And neither would my wife!
      10-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #261
Amylovebus
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh View Post
Mine was eight weeks from order to delivery. East coast. Felt like two years though.
Well, in that case... it's possible that I could get mine by that eight week timeline, which would put it right before Thanksgiving and I could be truly thankful for that, along with many other blessings!
      10-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #262
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How exciting that yours is waiting to be shipped! Idk why yours is ready first unless it really didn't get ordered when they said it did or there was some other issue... who knows. I'm just ready for it to be done and here!! My 05 Z is on the lot at the local dealer and it looks sad with no one to drive her! LOL

I called a little bit ago and the 'robot' said that my car was in the body shop. Wooo Hoooo - I guess... hahaa. I'm a little sad that the dealership never told us anything about the PCD or ED. Guess it doesn't matter much anyway; I doubt that my hub could've taken the time off work. Do you live close to SC?
I can absolutely see how seeing the old one on the lot would be a bummer. Had a similar experience after I traded in my grey one for the red... went back to the dealer for something a week or so later and there it was just sitting there. Made me feel as though I had abandoned an old friend.

We're up in the Washington D.C. area, so it's going to be a bit of a drive, but we REALLY needed to get away for a little bit since our last few trips had to be put on hold.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #263
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Pilot View Post
Giggle box,
I wouldn't cancel the Performance Center Delivery unless you've done it before. I took delivery of my 35i back in June and would never trade that experience for even the best showroom delivery ... And neither would my wife!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the Mrs. out on the track. Something tells me that she's gonna love it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #264
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Quote:
Hi all!

Congratulations you lucky girl!! How many days and counting?!?
Appreciate 0