New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #67
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

rking, you never answered my earlier question What did you use to paint the stubby antenna? Did you use a HVLP paint gun or an air brush? What kind of compressor are you running?

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #68
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
rking, you never answered my earlier question What did you use to paint the stubby antenna? Did you use a HVLP paint gun or an air brush? What kind of compressor are you running?
Oh sorry i missed that. I used a gravity fed air gun picked it up from harbor freight for like $15 and just a touch of touch up paint i got from Dr Color Chip i think. I just used high quality automotive painting tape to mask off the carbon fiber and used the mounting screw and a clothes line clip to hang it upside down from a wire in my garage to paint. my compressor is little you only need about 20 psi max i think is what i had it set on. I then used a clear to go over it to give it a clear coat and that was it. The base coat of paint took like 2 minutes. Then repeated that 2 times after drying between each coat to make sure the paint was even. I think i put like two or three coats (very light) of clear. let it dry over night then untapped it and screwed it on. voila. if you are trying to match the paint perfectly then you might have to play with the angle of the antenna while you spray it. make sure you ruff up the area you want to paint first though. I used 800 grit sand paper and then wiped it clean with reducer. didnt have any other solvents. I am not a painter really but i have friends that are so i have picked up a couple tricks here and there. For the little area and the shape of the antenna it wont need to be perfect. mine isnt a perfect match because i sprayed it upside down so the metallic flake layed in a different direction but that isnt noticable unless you get so close i would smack for touching my car. lol Literally you have to be like inches away to see it.

here is the exact model i used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8...gun-67181.html

My air compressor isnt that big. it is a 12 gal generic compressor but is similar to this one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Powermate-...essor/14645699

and no i didnt buy mine at walmart. I bought it a kmart. hahaha

Last edited by rking117; 12-14-2012 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #69
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
Oh sorry i missed that. I used a gravity fed air gun picked it up from harbor freight for like $15 and just a touch of touch up paint i got from Dr Color Chip i think. I just used high quality automotive painting tape to mask off the carbon fiber and used the mounting screw and a clothes line clip to hang it upside down from a wire in my garage to paint. my compressor is little you only need about 20 psi max i think is what i had it set on. I then used a clear to go over it to give it a clear coat and that was it. The base coat of paint took like 2 minutes. Then repeated that 2 times after drying between each coat to make sure the paint was even. I think i put like two or three coats (very light) of clear. let it dry over night then untapped it and screwed it on. voila. if you are trying to match the paint perfectly then you might have to play with the angle of the antenna while you spray it. make sure you ruff up the area you want to paint first though. I used 800 grit sand paper and then wiped it clean with reducer. didnt have any other solvents. I am not a painter really but i have friends that are so i have picked up a couple tricks here and there. For the little area and the shape of the antenna it wont need to be perfect. mine isnt a perfect match because i sprayed it upside down so the metallic flake layed in a different direction but that isnt noticable unless you get so close i would smack for touching my car. lol Literally you have to be like inches away to see it.

here is the exact model i used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-8...gun-67181.html

My air compressor isnt that big. it is a 12 gal generic compressor but is similar to this one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Powermate-...essor/14645699

and no i didnt buy mine at walmart. I bought it a kmart. hahaha
You call that a little compressor? Mine is 2.5 gal 2.35cfm@90psi :P You didn't primer it at all? How did you clean the spray gun between base coat and clear coat?

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #70
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
You call that a little compressor? Mine is 2.5 gal 2.35cfm@90psi :P You didn't primer it at all? How did you clean the spray gun between base coat and clear coat?
I used the reducer but you can use any paint cleaner such as thinner that does not leave a residue. Residue is what kills the gun. No primer used because it was aluminum. but you can if you want. you can pick up a primer at your local auto parts store. if the antenna has any imperfections then you will want to make sure you use an etching primer that sprays thick. that will cover any minor scratches. if you are worried about the volume of air then an air gun will work. Harbor frieght has those too. it will just take you longer. use a tip that has more of a fan than a point. (i am talking about the spray it emits)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #71
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
Let me see, I want to make the clips differently next time. Give me a week or so to play around and I will get back with you.
Well, I am interested as well. If you are up to it, let me know. Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #72
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpDellNestle View Post
Well, I am interested as well. If you are up to it, let me know. Thx
wow, ok i will keep you in mind too.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #73
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
4. I like the stock wheels believe it or not just hate the color so we are going to paint them soon to maybe a gunmetal gray or dark gray with red flake in it (almost like a pearl but flakes).

Ok I have narrowed it down a little. I have some creative that shows my car with different color wheels. I already have my favorites but I want everyone's opinion as this change is not reversable easily. Take a look at the image and tell me which one you would prefer via the letter assigned to each by voting in the poll that i setup in this other discussion. I am not trying to hijack this threat so I think we should move this over there for the poll

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...9#post13160669
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #74
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

I have received my car 1 month ago, so only few little enhancements for now:
- Short antenna
- Interior LED lights (coming)
- H8 Angel Eyes (coming)