New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
Frogg
Private
France
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89 red pearl/Black roof

Excuse me but what is stubby antenna?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #24
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogg View Post
Excuse me but what is stubby antenna?
Exactly what it sounds like. Compare my signature pic with the stock antenna, and the pic below of the stubby antenna.

Stock antenna tends to cause wind noise at higher speeds, and just plain looks out of place.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
Frogg
Private
France
Rep
Drives: Z4 e89 red pearl/Black roof

Ok thanks, that's good because i looked for change my horrible chromed antenna

Have you a good adress for buy it, who ship to France please?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is the one I got:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R0WOK0/...p_M3T1_SC_dp_1

They ship internationally but the shipping charge is a bit expensive ($20).

Another place that I looked at that sells stubby antennas and ships internationally for a reasonable price is here:

http://www.stubbyantenna.com/detail1...ey=BMW_Z4_2003

You might also be able to find some for sale on amazon.fr.

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

1. I added A stubby antenna. I painted it to match the car (Orion Silver) just need a little sand paper, air compressor with paint sprayer and touchup paint. Took me all of about 30 minutes to paint and 10 seconds to put it on.

2. I made a wind deflector and clips out of hardware supplies i picked up at Lowes for like $30.00 to $50.00.

3. Stupid I know but i really like what seemed to be a glow behind the lights of the i8 concept car so i added a strip of LED’s behind the grills that illuminates the area red. I currently have it set to come on with the regular lights but i think i might change it to come on with the halos. If i do that i want to fnd halo replacements that glow red too. That would totally be cool to me.

4. I like the stock wheels believe it or not just hate the color so we are going to paint them soon to maybe a gunmetal gray or dark gray with red flake in it (almost like a pearl but flakes).

5. Upgraded the ECS software (dealer stock) because the vehicle would die at a red light when downshifting and the engine temp was cold.

6. Almost forgot, hard wired radar detector and mounted it just under the rear view mirror. I will try to add photos later if i get time.

Last edited by rking117; 12-10-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
BMWpedals.com. They are a perfect fit for the Z4 and look awesome. Easy install too.
Can't seem to find the pedal on the site. Did you use one meant for other BMW?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
1. I added A stubby antenna. I painted it to match the car (Orion Silver) just need a little sand paper, air compressor with paint sprayer and touchup paint. Took me all of about 30 minutes to paint and 10 seconds to put it on.

2. I made a wind deflector and clips out of hardware supplies i picked up at Lowes for like $30.00 to $50.00.

3. Stupid I know but i really like what seemed to be a glow behind the lights of the i8 concept car so i added a strip of LED’s behind the grills that illuminates the area red. I currently have it set to come on with the regular lights but i think i might change it to come on with the halos. If i do that i want to fnd halo replacements that glow red too. That would totally be cool to me.

4. I like the stock wheels believe it or not just hate the color so we are going to paint them soon to maybe a gunmetal gray or dark gray with red flake in it (almost like a pearl but flakes).

5. Upgraded the ECS software (dealer stock) because the vehicle would die at a red light when downshifting and the engine temp was cold.

6. Almost forgot, hard wired radar detector and mounted it just under the rear view mirror. I will try to add photos later if i get time.
I'm interested in seeing some pics of your mods.

Also, are you running a HVLP paint spray gun or air brush? I'm about to pick up a 1HP 2.35 CFM air compressor, which is not enough CFM to run a paint spray gun but more than plenty for an air brush. I mainly just want to be able to do a better job at minor touch ups.

Last edited by InsanePineapple; 12-10-2012 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #30
brianh968
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Has anyone changed to Brembo brakes? I'm not even sure if rears are available. Fronts are.

Also - there's the simple arm-rest tray insert that's easy to do if you buy the euro tray with much more usable space. Eliminates the cupholders.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #31
Lackey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 M Sport Vert

Garage List
2011 Z4 30i  [7.00]
Quote:

Check with your local Citroen or Fiat dealer. It's a perfect fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #32
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

ok, not really DIY, but still mods...

Done
1) ESS tune
2) Wind-screen mounted video recorder (not hardwired)
3) Tinted side windows (I don't like the look of it, but China gets extremely hot during the summers. Also, because the Z4 is really an attention magnet, I occasionally need the extra privacy... )
4) Inner brake-light-bulbs black out (2 bulbs). I just think it looks better when only the two outer bulbs work (together with the strip in the middle). BTW I never use the rear "fog lights", which is essentially just turning on the outer brake lights. I do like the Chinese and turn on the yellow warning lights if there is fog...

On my wish list
1) A muffler by-pass system which can be enabled/disabled with only a screw driver. (But I haven't figured out how yet)
2) Latest gen rfts for my 18" wheels (for less tire noise and a more comfortable ride). I am not after more grip, because I love being able to slide around at slower speeds, but I do want a more quiet ride.
3) 2013 maps for China, Russia and Europe in case I want to go for a road trip next year. But I unsure if its possible to install so many maps at the same time...
4) LCI rear lamps maybe? I think it looks wrong that the side brake lights turn on much slower than the light in the middle... I hope the LCI comes with LED brake lights, and that the LCI lamps are plug and play with pre-LCI models.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #33
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
I agree. The larger stock wheels are not bad at all. But with orion silver the wheels look better in a darker shade of gray... I actually prefer the color of mine when they are dirty
But so far I have chosen "not washing" over painting
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
2) Latest gen rfts for my 18" wheels (for less tire noise and a more comfortable ride). I am not after more grip, because I love being able to slide around at slower speeds, but I do want a more quiet ride.
Why not non-rtfs?

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #35
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Why not non-rtfs?
My guess is that china has unreliable street, just like most part of Asia. Street hazard everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
I agree. The larger stock wheels are not bad at all. But with orion silver the wheels look better in a darker shade of gray... I actually prefer the color of mine when they are dirty
But so far I have chosen "not washing" over painting
I said the exact same thing to my paint guy. I do like them better dirty. So yep that is the plan just as close to that color as i can get without going black.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
My guess is that china has unreliable street, just like most part of Asia. Street hazard everywhere.
China has great toll roads and a fascinating motorway system! I recently drove to Shanghai, a 9 hours trip, and it was very comfortable. It was the same story when I went back from Chengdu, a 2 day trip.

On the other hand, China also has some of the worst streets in the world, and we occasionally hear of bridges collapsing and what not...

However, the main reason I do not want non-RFTs is safety. I imagine getting a flat while changing lanes at 120kmh could turn out slightly better with RFTs compared to non-RFTs. Also, I do not want to be stuck in the middle of a huge traffic jam with a flat tire. China get these huge traffic jams and people use all legal and illegal lanes to push forward. It could take hours for the assistance to arrive. Even fire trucks get stuck because people just dont care to let them pass.

Anyway, there are just so many places and situations where I would be much better off with rfts. And in China you just need to be prepared for the worst...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #38
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
Need pics! BTW just as a precaution, having blue or red lights in the front of your car is probably illegal due to "impersonating" a service vehicle, such as police, ambulance, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #39
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Need pics! BTW just as a precaution, having blue or red lights in the front of your car is probably illegal due to "impersonating" a service vehicle, such as police, ambulance, etc.
I will get some photos soon, but you cant actually see the light you can only see the glow. It is more ambient. The laws here are pretty gray in that area. the fact that they dont blink or anything also helps.

Ok bare with me here, it is hard to capture the goodies in the dark.

Grill Lighting---->>>

Wind Deflector ---->>>

Radar Detector Hardwire ---->>>

Stubby Antenna ---->>>

My Toys in the Dark ---->>>

Tell me what you like and don't like.

Last edited by rking117; 12-13-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #40
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Your photos are not showing up...

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #41
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not liking the red light. But it is damn cool for Halloween
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #42
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Grill Lighting---->>>

[IMG]http://kingphotos.sytes.net/albums/userpics/10001/DSC_0096.jpg
Man, I am REALLY REALLY conflicted by this.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #43
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Your photos are not showing up...
you might have to wait for them to load. they are self hosted so bandwidth is a little slow.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #44
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Looks like copying and pasting the URLs work.

I'll be frank, I'm not really digging the LED lighting, but I like the other mods Is the wind deflector lexan? What did you use to cut it? I like it a lot. I'm kind of tired of putting the OEM wind deflector on when the top is down, and then taking it off when the top is up. I have to because it makes the rear view too dark when the top is up, because of the rear window tint.

Appreciate 0