New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

04-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #23
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

from their pictures, they seem to be manufacturing in China. Any idea on the price range for this conversion? Also, 4 months seems to be a long long time from fitment to finished product and some pictures. Unless they plan to only make 1 kit for themselves.
      04-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
GooDy151
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
from their pictures, they seem to be manufacturing in China. Any idea on the price range for this conversion? Also, 4 months seems to be a long long time from fitment to finished product and some pictures. Unless they plan to only make 1 kit for themselves.
They being made in Canada.
MSRP target $8000ish USD not including shipping.
'99 Subaru Impreza 2.2 JE pistons , HKS rods , Jun cam 272 / 272, Greddy T78 32D , Sard 1000cc Inj., Tein and Tomei SQ trans , 10.21sec
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Seechun
Rep
Drives: Z4

I've ordered from duke dynamics and their factory is out of china

Be weary of their shipping and insist you have insurance on the freight. The first time they sent me my vented bonnet it was in a cardboard box with no padding(!!) Needless to say it arrived damaged/warped and I had to go back and forth with them from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
for 8000 USD. Oh myyyy.... It'd better look fucking amazing. But the upside is after all this you'll end up with the only widebody Z4 road car. That's worth something i guess.
      04-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #27
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

So are they out of Canada or China? Big difference there. So why would they test fit a widebody kit in china if they were being made in Canada? Im about 95% sure those pictures were taken in China. Gotta give them props, they do try hard to cover the fact but at some point it just becomes a scam.
      04-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #28
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

still keen on this the final product.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #29
Seechun
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
So are they out of Canada or China? Big difference there. So why would they test fit a widebody kit in china if they were being made in Canada? Im about 95% sure those pictures were taken in China. Gotta give them props, they do try hard to cover the fact but at some point it just becomes a scam.
They're based out of china and its manufactured there

Btw here was the hood I ordered from them last year when it arrived in the cardboard box as mentioned

Not really a scam as you can always ask where the product is manufactured. These days most things are made in China now

Again, highly recommend that if you order from them ensure they have insurance on the delivery
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
VailM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seechun View Post
They're based out of china and its manufactured there

Btw here was the hood I ordered from them last year when it arrived in the cardboard box as mentioned

Not really a scam as you can always ask where the product is manufactured. These days most things are made in China now

Again, highly recommend that if you order from them ensure they have insurance on the delivery
That is outright ridiculous for a company charging such absurd premium regardless of the company's location. Talk about piss poor service. There is a guy out of the UK that is making replicas for 1/3rd the price and as good as quality which I would by over these guys
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #31
callmemaybe
Rep
Drives: BMW

it's doesn't matter where is being made as long the quality is good.

As far I know they have studio design in Vancouver, Canada and Shanghai, China.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Duke Dynamics is a shop in china, that much was already known. whether they have design studios elsewhere is irrelevant. just do a google search on Duke Dynamics and you'd see that they don't exactly have the best reputation. Not a company I'd pay the premium price for.

I do have experience buying body kit from china, my 2 cent is that the product will arrive looking relatively good until you try to fit it. then you'd be looking at days of modification and refitting and a large bill to go with it. weight your cost.
      04-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
it's doesn't matter where is being made as long the quality is good.

As far I know they have studio design in Vancouver, Canada and Shanghai, China.
After being in manufacturing for several years in China, this statement just makes me laugh. I going to just say that nothing of "quality" can be manufactured in China. Cheap wages+cheap materials+cheap work ethics=cheap products. Workers never care for the quality like they do in Europe, owners only care about keeping costs low and producing something OK that they can flip. If they cared at all about quality, they wouldn't make it in China. Having design studio in Vancouver and Shanghai means nothing nor does it say "quality".

For what it is, DD is priced unreasonably high.
      04-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #34
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
After being in manufacturing for several years in China, this statement just makes me laugh. I going to just say that nothing of "quality" can be manufactured in China. Cheap wages+cheap materials+cheap work ethics=cheap products. Workers never care for the quality like they do in Europe, owners only care about keeping costs low and producing something OK that they can flip. If they cared at all about quality, they wouldn't make it in China. Having design studio in Vancouver and Shanghai means nothing nor does it say "quality".

For what it is, DD is priced unreasonably high.
One of my friends spent many years there as a consultant for manufacturing processes and he too shared your same sentiments. He was resolved to think that it was a cultural and mental engrained way of getting to the wealth. Forgoing any and all quality where possible made him question his purpose there and ultimately leave.

But he did see also where the USA was faltering within the use of unions making us less competitive and mobile.

Where is the balance......that is hard to find and do well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #35
Pony-herd
Registered
Rep
Drives: e89

very intresting!

willy
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
VailM3
Captain
Rep

Got some feedback from DD about the kit. Apparently there are 2 out there 1 in Japan and one trying to be moved in Seattle. Here some pics i got
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #37
Enilder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Got some feedback from DD about the kit. Apparently there are 2 out there 1 in Japan and one trying to be moved in Seattle. Here some pics i got
We just need a brave soul to drop several G's to put that on a car. Any volunteers?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
Yeggman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 s3.0i 6MT

Like a wide body kit would be on an XKE, why would you want to spoil a work of art?

Hey, if you like it, go for it. Beauty is in the eye of the guy with the cash.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #39
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post

Seattle? I'd have to pay close attention to this car on the road then. However, there is a lack of body shop talent in the PNW who are capable of making these pieces of junk fit well on the car. It'd be a monumental task to get all these panels lined up and look right. I only know of one (maybe two) shop(s) that has / have the time, energy, and passion to do this.

Good luck to the owner of this "kit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enilder View Post
We just need a brave soul to drop several G's to put that on a car. Any volunteers?

Looks like someone from my town had already dropped a couple G's to get this. I'll keep an eye out for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggman View Post
Like a wide body kit would be on an XKE, why would you want to spoil a work of art?

Hey, if you like it, go for it. Beauty is in the eye of the guy with the cash.

Amen, thanks for speaking my mind. Plus, Duke Dynamics is not known to produce high quality parts to start with (and their production lags way behind from their "concept" design). I still remember when they made and sold a ton of those ill-fitting M-kits for the E92s and got lynched.....
      08-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #40
VailM3
Captain
Rep

its on its way
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #41
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3
its on its way
im so excited man. but why is the paint so blurry! cant see! please update.
      09-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #42
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I think it's to keep prying eyes from stealing the design. I love the look of the rear deck lid. Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #43
VailM3
Captain
Rep

It was blurred on purpose. I believe so the owner/shop can unveil it at later date upon its completion. I am considering this after I see it and find out about the work. Seems a SERIOUS effort but to have one of 3 z4s 35is widebody in the world it might just be worth it. will be close to 15k though when all said and done. Kit/install/wheels/exhaust all have to done in 1 go. Might as well do breaks while Im at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

I hope it fits. Would be quite badass