New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

What happens to the tires if a car sits a lot

Hello- Most of you know my story about getting 2 new rear tires this week on my 35i. The rides remarkably smoother and quieter. It was also aligned although found not to be out alignment other than one spec very slightly. I bought my car with 4,500 miles. The previous owner had it just short of two years. Obviously very little mileage was put on the car so it likely sat a lot. I kept the old tire that was not damaged as an emergency back up but it does have substantial inner edge wear. BMW told me you can get 20,000-30,000 miles out of the tires if you are not driving like a maniac (which I don't). I am trying to figure out why the difference in ride is so huge when the car was not really out of alignment and other than inner edge wear, the tread not that bad. The car just turned 10,000 miles yesterday. I do not want to be replacing tires every 10,000 miles. Assuming the car sat a lot with the previous owner, could this have impacted tire and overall ride by somehow reshaping the tire. I am really curious about this. If the car sat for a long time, due to the negative camber it would be sitting on the inside edge of the tires.

Last edited by Jayda; 04-21-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

RFT sidewalls are so stiff, there is no permanent deformation from extended sitting. And by extended, I mean 6 months or more. This can be a problem with regular tires so over-inflation before extended storage is advisable. Seeing as you have the same OEM tires are everyone else, it's hard to explain your experience. Sometimes tires get noisier or quieter with age, but as far as I know, no one else has mentioned that experience. Maybe your alignment did more for you than you think.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've had regular performance tires flat spot from sitting just 2 weeks. However, the out of balance feel usually works itself out after some driving.
RFTs shouldn't be as bad but it varies by tire model as well.

A lot of tires cup the outside edges when worn. This can cause noise and vibration. Run your fingers along the outside edge of tread towards and against the tread rotation on the tire you saved. You'll probably feel bumps in the one direction, which caused the noise with the original tires. Camber, toe, and driving style affect how much this occurs.

It is really noticeable with my X5 tires. Unfortunately I don't have the Z4 anymore to check it.

EDIT: Reversing the tires rotation is the only way to fix this. Not possible with the Z4 OEM tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

aside from rolling on a flat, saving spaces, this is another advantage whit RFT the sidewall is very stiff so your car can sit for awhile whitout worry for flat spot. My car is standing still for 6 months every years during winter whitout any tires issues
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
I feel a little square tires after 6 months but after 50-100 km it's gone. Actually feels square already after 2-3 weeks standing. Bridgestone RTF, terrible roadsound. Next will be non RTF!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Mine sit all winter, in storage with no issues. 2 years now....all is well.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I can only pass on to you what experienced people have told me ... My BMW Service Advisor (he drives a Porsche in the summer time) told me when I asked him for advise on my first e85 what to do when storing the car for the winter months. He said, increase air pressure by 4 PSI above the recommended air pressure on all tires to avoid flat spots and remove or disconnect the battery.

A US Tire Shop Manager told me when I checked on the premature inside toe tire wear on my then e89 "I've seen this often on cars like this, to avoid it increase tire pressure by 10% when traveling for prolonged times [vacation etc] with the roof in the trunk and luggage" he went on "Reducing the negative camber from 2.5 degree as is standard on your car to a negative 1 degree will also prevent this"

Good luck.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
I can only pass on to you what experienced people have told me ... My BMW Service Advisor (he drives a Porsche in the summer time) told me when I asked him for advise on my first e85 what to do when storing the car for the winter months. He said, increase air pressure by 4 PSI above the recommended air pressure on all tires to avoid flat spots and remove or disconnect the battery.

A US Tire Shop Manager told me when I checked on the premature inside toe tire wear on my then e89 "I've seen this often on cars like this, to avoid it increase tire pressure by 10% when traveling for prolonged times [vacation etc] with the roof in the trunk and luggage" he went on "Reducing the negative camber from 2.5 degree as is standard on your car to a negative 1 degree will also prevent this"

Good luck.
Based on your advice previously I have increased my rear tire pressure. Interestingly, BMW told me they would only align my car to factory soecifications meaning they would not reduce the camber. I found that interesting.
      04-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Based on your advice previously I have increased my rear tire pressure. Interestingly, BMW told me they would only align my car to factory soecifications meaning they would not reduce the camber. I found that interesting.
BMW Dealerships/Service Centres are all independent organizations. Believe me when I tell you ask different dealerships the same question and you will get different answers.

Cases in Point;

1. US dealership told me my warrenty in the US is not the same as in my country Canada. They lyed to me.

2. Purchased an M3 one day before delivery I got a call that my tires are RFT I had to tell the nice Manager, sorry they better not be ... after he checked with others he apologized and confirmed they are not they are Non-RFT they are Performance Tires.

3. My M3 was due for the first 2,000 KM service (1,200 Miles) I was told my MT M3 does not require a oil change for the transmission. I had to print out pertain ant documents from the BMW service site to prove to them that they do need to change the oil on my MT and that for a M-DCT transmission oil change is not required.

I could go on with other points ... I find it best to inform one self. This forum has many members that made research and can advise you so that when you bring your car in for service you will at least be informed.

I believe in advise from down to east people that either have experienced similar issues or are knowledgeable you will know them when you meet them so good luck with your new set of tires.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0