New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

Wheel Surprise

Good morning. I just got my March copy of Car&Driver. There is a long term test of a 2011 BMW 535i on page 96. It seems that the 296 BMW wheels are not the only wheels that are cracking. Read the article for yourself, but the jest of it is that in 40,000 miles they had to spend $4,474 for new wheels , tires, and wheel repair. They did mention the wheel and tire insurance option. The article gives information about wheel repairs which they had done rather than replace the wheel. They paid $210.00 for an alignment. BMW dealer, I am sure. (I got my Corvette aligned for $80.00, all four wheels and at the Chevrolet dealer)

In the article, they say that the wheel repairman commented about how soft the wheel was. It would seem that there are more BMW wheels other than the 296 wheels that have this problem.

I traded my 2009 Corvette in Janurary for a new Z4 which is on it's way now.

I sure hope I don't have a wheel problem. I ordered a 28i with stock wheels so maybe no roblem. I would never buy Bridgestone tires but I guess that's what comes with the car. My 2007 Mini Cooper S had run flats and Contennial run flat tires. No wheel or tire problems in 50,000 miles.

My 2009 Corvette had Goodyear Eagle run flats and never a problem.

I don't know of anybody other than BMW who sells tire and wheel insurance. I have no plan to purchase this insurance.

My post is just to point out the Car and Driver article and like Fox news. We report--You decide. Have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
///NWIE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i

the wheel and tire ins. is actually a good thing to have with our cars, these alum. rims break, bend, crack easily somtimes not mattering what kind or style of wheel it is, sometimes S&*% happens....

plus im pretty sure if just your tire gets damaged like a bubble in the sidewall you can have them replace that too under that plan.

just some food for thought...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In the article, they provide information regarding wheel repair. Instead of Buying a new $600.00 wheel (SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS???) they repaired it for $135.00. www.awrswheelrepair.com And according to the article, they make house calls. Sounds like a good option to have in your back pocket instead of the insurance policy. Each to his own, but the more information and options you have to choose from, the better.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

I also traded in my C6 for a Z4. With both cars, my biggest problem these days is the damn potholes in Los Angeles. It's not just limited to these two cars. I know lots of guys with sports cars and low profile tires. I cringe every time I hit a pothole at 50 miles an hour. SOmetimes you just don't see them sneaking up. They're sneaky little buggers. I already got a bubble in one of my BMW tires and had to have it replaced. By the way, BMW is not the only company that offers wheel and tire insurance and I'd say it's worth it.. they replace tires and wheels with a minimum of fuss. I'm glad I have it, if just for the potholes.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post

I got my Corvette aligned for $80.00, all four wheels and at the Chevrolet dealer.

I don't know of anybody other than BMW who sells tire and wheel insurance. I have no plan to purchase this insurance.
Welcome to the new world of BMW. Congratulations and enjoy your Z4 when it arrives. The 296's have been the most troublesome wheel for the Z4. You can search the forum for all the details. Other wheelss have been relatively trouble free - E89 specifically speaking.

If and when you do a wheel alignment a BMW dealer will be in the $200+ range. A private independant dealer (or BMW Indy as the present terminology goes) will be $125 - 150. Do you research beforehand. You won't have to worry about this for 3-4 years though and who knows what the prices will be then.

Other independant companies do offer wheel and tire insurance. One word or interest. If you get a nail or whatever in your BMW RFT and take it to the BMW dealer they will only replace the tire @ ~ $450 each. No repairs at BMW dealer. My two rear punctures have nearly paid for my BMW wheel and tire insurance.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

like you i have read C&D long term report of their f10 535i it seems that BMW does'nt learn from their errors, after the Z4 now comes the new 5 series whit wheels issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
If you get a nail or whatever in your BMW RFT and take it to the BMW dealer they will only replace the tire @ ~ $450 each. No repairs at BMW dealer. My two rear punctures have nearly paid for my BMW wheel and tire insurance.
or you get it patched for $20. The tire insurance is good, but under normal circumstances, 2 punctures only pay for it if you go to your BMW dealer...

2024 BMW M2
2022 BMW i4 M50
2011 BMW Z4 sdrive 35i | ESS Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Good morning. I just got my March copy of Car&Driver. There is a long term test of a 2011 BMW 535i on page 96. It seems that the 296 BMW wheels are not the only wheels that are cracking. Read the article for yourself, but the jest of it is that in 40,000 miles they had to spend $4,474 for new wheels , tires, and wheel repair. They did mention the wheel and tire insurance option. The article gives information about wheel repairs which they had done rather than replace the wheel. They paid $210.00 for an alignment. BMW dealer, I am sure. (I got my Corvette aligned for $80.00, all four wheels and at the Chevrolet dealer)

In the article, they say that the wheel repairman commented about how soft the wheel was. It would seem that there are more BMW wheels other than the 296 wheels that have this problem.

I sure hope I don't have a wheel problem. I ordered a 28i with stock wheels so maybe no roblem. I would never buy Bridgestone tires but I guess that's what comes with the car. My 2007 Mini Cooper S had run flats and Contennial run flat tires. No wheel or tire problems in 50,000 miles.

My 2009 Corvette had Goodyear Eagle run flats and never a problem.

My post is just to point out the Car and Driver article and like Fox news. We report--You decide. Have a great day.
For years now BMW drivers the UK has have had bitter issues with BMW all you have to do is Google "Cracked BMW wheels in the UK" and you come up with oodles of stories and TV reports even ...

Like this ===> Click for a sample story

Of course in Briton the roads are nothing like ours in North America ... they do have lots of pot holes.

I think BMW introduced the RFT much to early, I mean there are some First Generation RFT from Bridgestone all over the world then the 2nd Generation and they just released the 3rd Generation ... obviously they keep redesigning them ... I wonder why LOL

Mercedes once had them ... then they stopped using them in the words of a MB Salesman ... he said "they are not perfected yet and we stopped using them"

I only drive my M3 because the ///M Division does not outfit there ///M3 with a RFT, mind you that might change as time goes on.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hi Mayhem. I have owned Corvettes since 1975. No more. Had a 2002 Z3 that I loved and sold it in order to buy another Vette. Tired of the creeking targa top. Looking forward to my new Z4 which will not be a daily driver and will be stored in ther winter. I think one thing we all can to help prevent wheel and tire damage is make sure our tire pressure is correct at all times.

HerrK I only had to check alignmernt on the Vette after hitting a huge hole in a parking lot. I was surprised at the $80.00 charge for alignment on all 4 wheels. Very reasonable. I have not had the need to align a car (other than the Vette) since the 70's. I use Discount Tire as they will repair a run flat tire free if the nail or whatever is in the tread and not the sidewall. I believe they repaired a run flat on my Mini Cooper S at no charge.

Please take the time to read the article in Car and Driver. Wheel repair may be an alternative to wheel replacement.

Thanks for the responses, it's what makes this forum great.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
For your comparison, i was offered Wheel and Tire insurance on the Z4 35i at $1850 for 5 years by the dealer. Must be purchased at the time of sale.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/images/smilies/mad0259.gif

If your going to purchase, I STRONGLY encourage you to purchase this or have the dealer swap the wheels. AAA won't insure them either.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
I think one thing we all can to help prevent wheel and tire damage is make sure our tire pressure is correct at all times.
That is 100% correct, also I like to add here a very knowledgeable Tire Shop Manager in Idaho Falls shared with me that if you ravel great distances with the top in the trunk and some luggage add 10% (about 4PSI) of air pressure to the rear tires to avoid excessive inside tire toe wear.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Rolf-Dieter. Thanks for sharing the British article. I do not anticipate trouble with my standard 17" wheels as supplied on the new 28i model. I would rather not have Bridgestone tires but I guess that's what comes on the car. My wife's Lexus GS350 has run flats, but came with a spare tire. My new Cadilliac CTS comes with a bottle of slime unless you option a spare tire and jack which I did option. So my two daily drivers both have run flats and spare tires. My Z3 had a spare tire. Wish my new Z4 had one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Blu Yea--- I don't think I will have a problem as I won't have the 19" 296 wheels. If I did have those wheels, I would consider the insurance.

Rolf-Dieter Totally agree with increase in tire pressure if you have extra weight in the car and are on a long trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
HerrK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbb View Post
or you get it patched for $20. The tire insurance is good, but under normal circumstances, 2 punctures only pay for it if you go to your BMW dealer...
Well I bought the ins. mainly for the 296 issue which I knew going into the deal. My cost for the 5 yr plan was $1100 and I will get ~ 23K miles out of the set of RFT's, as both rears were R&R at approx 5K miles. The next 3rd genertion RFT RE960AS is softer in nature and has gotton some good reviews. BS is slowly expanding the size range and hopefully will have a full range when the RE050A's are gone in another 6-9 months. So for me the T&W ins has been worth it. Still tossing about non RFT's and 18" rims for autocross and the dry summer days here in SoCal.

I've plugged many MC and car tires myself for far less than $20. This is my current favorite kit. CO2 for the MC and small pump for the car along with the plug kit.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Rolf, according to the Bridgestone site, their run-flats have been redesigned (3rd generation) to accommodate special cooling fins on the sides of the wall. Theory being the fins help to keep a tire cool, that has gone flat.

Unless I have misinterpreted the specs on their site, I don't believe the redesign has anything to do with improved wall stiffness (or in this case, lessened wall stiffness) and how that in turn may or may not affect cracks appearing on wheels.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #16
az34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
That is 100% correct, also I like to add here a very knowledgeable Tire Shop Manager in Idaho Falls shared with me that if you ravel great distances with the top in the trunk and some luggage add 10% (about 4PSI) of air pressure to the rear tires to avoid excessive inside tire toe wear.
I'D travels a lot and never thought of increasing the rear tires pressure,but it appears logic to do, great tips i'll try it on my next big summer trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
HerrK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Rolf, according to the Bridgestone site, their run-flats have been redesigned (3rd generation) to accommodate special cooling fins on the sides of the wall. Theory being the fins help to keep a tire cool, that has gone flat.

Unless I have misinterpreted the specs on their site, I don't believe the redesign has anything to do with improved wall stiffness (or in this case, lessened wall stiffness) and how that in turn may or may not affect cracks appearing on wheels.
There was a good article in BMWCCA Roundel June 11 by Satch Carlson editor, in which he had the opportunity to drive the new 960 RFT's. But FYI the gist of the article was that they are lighter and much more compliant, comparable to their 960 non RFT counterparts.

The article also containted a side bar regarding BS engineers acceptable recommendation to repair a RFT - which is to dismount, inspect, plug and patch.

Last edited by HerrK; 02-04-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Blu Yea--- I don't think I will have a problem as I won't have the 19" 296 wheels. If I did have those wheels, I would consider the insurance.

Rolf-Dieter Totally agree with increase in tire pressure if you have extra weight in the car and are on a long trip.
I'm glad to see you finally say this as you have contributed to this topic before. I remain glad I got the insurance with my 296 wheels. Haven't used it yet (hope that is not the kiss of death)! I was thrilled to see my tax dollars being put to use in that my "major gripe" pothole on the way to work was finally repaired
      02-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think I will call the wheel repair company featured in the Car and Driver article and ask a few questions about BMW wheels. The 535i wheels are priced at $600.00 each according to the article. We should not have to buy wheel and tire insurance for $1,850.00 to protect us against shoody $600.00 wheels. My neighbor has a new Kia and they didn't offer wheel and tire insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I Googled BMW tire and Wheel insurance and was able to see all of the BMW insurance plans. They offer the following:

Extended vehicle Protection ( I don't see what you get here)
Guaranteed Auto Protection
Tire and Wheel Protection Plan
Presence Protection
Presence Protection Plus

Inotice that the tire and wheel protection plan does not cover cosmetic repair such as curb rash.

I can't even guess what the cost would be for all of these protection plans, but I'll bet I'll know after I take delivery of my new Z4. I read the plans and some don't make any sense and appear to offer very little. I am the finance managers worst nightmare as I never agree to buy any of the additional dealer profit items offered. Cadilliac offered me an interior protection package in case I spilled my Big Gulp in the seat. Customers should question some of these things.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
az34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I Googled BMW tire and Wheel insurance and was able to see all of the BMW insurance plans. They offer the following:

Extended vehicle Protection ( I don't see what you get here)
Guaranteed Auto Protection
Tire and Wheel Protection Plan
Presence Protection
Presence Protection Plus

Inotice that the tire and wheel protection plan does not cover cosmetic repair such as curb rash.

I can't even guess what the cost would be for all of these protection plans, but I'll bet I'll know after I take delivery of my new Z4. I read the plans and some don't make any sense and appear to offer very little. I am the finance managers worst nightmare as I never agree to buy any of the additional dealer profit items offered. Cadilliac offered me an interior protection package in case I spilled my Big Gulp in the seat. Customers should question some of these things.
glad to hear there's someone like me outhere! When i bought my Audi they try to sell me:leather protect,paint protect,tinted windows,remote starter,and the list goes on an on,of course i did'nt buy anything,not to mention that all of the above can be done by private shop usually for half the price.As for my Z4 i did'nt purchase the wheels protect plan since i have the 293 style wheels which are very strong and my car is stored for the winter so far it's been a good decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #22
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

AZ34---AMEN. Glad you agree. You hit the nail right on the head. Which are the 293 style wheels? I have a 28i coming with the standard 17" wheels so I am not worried about the wheels. My car will be stored every winter as well and driven mainly on car club events, never will be a daily driver.

I am checking out AAA, State Farm Roadside Emergency Service, BMW Roadside Assistance today to see what service is offered in case of a flat tire. I will be stopping by Discount Tire tomorrow to see about new car take offs in trade for NON run flat tires. BMW will allow up to $100.00 per incident. AAA has the basic service and will tow you up to 4 miles. AAA's PLUS plan will tow you upto 100 miles. I will be talking with my State Farm agent in the morning to determine the coverage I have with them. The cost at State Farm for emergency road service is $3.00 every 6 months. We want to be very well armed when I take delivery of my car. If I have a flat using non run flat tires, I want to be able to be towed up to 100 miles, don't you? LOL. I believe I'll pass on the interior policy and chance spilling my Big Gulp.
Appreciate 0