New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
E89_77
Rep
Drives: 2015 z4 sDrive35i M Sport

Garage List
Dinan Stage 3 upgrade for a stock car, should I do it?

I just acquired a 2015 E89 35i, started looking at modding options.

Would it make sense to do Dinan stage 3 upgrade as a first step?

I guess there might be different opinions to everyone's liking but what other mods you have done and recommend for a start? Any must haves? Open to any suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:07 AM   #2
Deljus
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

A Dinan flash makes sense since your warranty remains intact with it, but if you start adding other aftermarket mods your warranty is voided. If you don't care about a voided warranty, then a Dinan flash doesn't make sense because there are other more potent and cost-effective tunes out there.

Common mods to start with include FMIC, charge pipe, intake, MHD flash
      02-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I went with a Stage II on mine right after the break-in period. If I were still the heavy modding type, I would still have started here. As for me, this is as far as I'll go with this car. It's a lease so it's bye-bye 7/2019. Since your car is under warranty, I would stick with Dinan upgrades as far as the engine is concerned. Suspension, do whatever you want. I've never had dealer warranty issues across three German marques with good suspensions mods. You're in SoCal, there's more than a few Dinan BMW dealers (as well as indy ones) in the OC\LA area. I would recommend, since you're under warranty, getting the flash done at an actual BMW dealership that is a Dinan shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I went with a Stage II on mine right after the break-in period. If I were still the heavy modding type, I would still have started here. As for me, this is as far as I'll go with this car. It's a lease so it's bye-bye 7/2019. Since your car is under warranty, I would stick with Dinan upgrades as far as the engine is concerned. Suspension, do whatever you want. I've never had dealer warranty issues across three German marques with good suspensions mods. You're in SoCal, there's more than a few Dinan BMW dealers (as well as indy ones) in the OC\LA area. I would recommend, since you're under warranty, getting the flash done at an actual BMW dealership that is a Dinan shop.
Mine is a lease too, I took over a lease. So it makes sense to do Dinan flash and stop there. I'm thinking about buying the car but I'll decide at the end of the lease.
Can I ask why did you go with stage II and I or III?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deljus View Post
A Dinan flash makes sense since your warranty remains intact with it, but if you start adding other aftermarket mods your warranty is voided. If you don't care about a voided warranty, then a Dinan flash doesn't make sense because there are other more potent and cost-effective tunes out there.

Common mods to start with include FMIC, charge pipe, intake, MHD flash
I like to keep the warranty at this point, so Dinan flash is my choice at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E89_77 View Post
Mine is a lease too, I took over a lease. So it makes sense to do Dinan flash and stop there. I'm thinking about buying the car but I'll decide at the end of the lease.
Can I ask why did you go with stage II and I or III?
The reason I went II over one was simply cost. It was a couple hundred for II over I. That was a no-brainer for me at 30 HP more than Stage I. Right now the prices dropped 50% over what I paid ($926, and I'm a little pissed that it's now $463 ). So, at current pricing, II is only $100 more than I. Again, total no brainer for 30 more HP. I didn't go III because, even though it doesn't say so when you punch up the e89 Z4 on their website, an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler are required. I am not going that far with this leased car as I am handing it back to them when it's up, full stop. It's a hail damage repaired car that I am leasing for a STUPID cheap amount of money.

See here:https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...e93-335is-n54/

At current pricing, I have no idea why you would do JB4 or MHD. I would way rather have a flash tune over a piggy-back and I would trust a Dinan flash more than MHD. Just my opinion.

Last edited by davis449; 02-22-2017 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The reason I went II over one was simply cost. It was a couple hundred for II over I. That was a no-brainer for me at 30 HP more than Stage I. Right now the prices dropped 50% over what I paid ($926, and I'm a little pissed that it's now $463 ). So, at current pricing, II is only $100 more than I. Again, total no brainer for 30 more HP. I didn't go III because, even though it doesn't say so when you punch up the e89 Z4 on their website, an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler are required. I am not going that far with this leased car as I am handing it back to them when it's up, full stop. It's a hail damage repaired car that I am leasing for a STUPID cheap amount of money.

See here:https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...e93-335is-n54/

At current pricing, I have no idea why you would do JB4 or MHD. I would way rather have a flash tune over a piggy-back and I would trust a Dinan flash more than MHD. Just my opinion.
I agree the current pricing is really tempting. I was wondering what else needed for Stage III, but the link you have copied is for 335s, this link for Z4 https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ries&mid=1117/ does not have that requirement, little confused. If Stage III requires the additional mods I'll go with Stage II
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree the current pricing is really tempting. I was wondering what else needed for Stage III, but the link you have copied is for 335s, this link for Z4 https://www.dinancars.com/product/d9...ries&mid=1117/ does not have that requirement, little confused. If Stage III requires the additional mods I'll go with Stage II
They're both N54 engines, that's why.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
Deljus
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
I didn't go III because, even though it doesn't say so when you punch up the e89 Z4 on their website, an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler are required.
This is not actually true. I looked into Dinan as well before I started modding my car. I e-mailed them about the upgraded oil cooler and intercooler, because they originally listed it as a requirement for the Z4. Here is the response I got from them:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I could have sworn I fixed that entry long ago but apparently not…

The Z4 stage 3 does not require those 2 pieces. A poor job of cutting and pasting can be blamed.

The same stage 3 software is shared with like engines but with slightly different requirements given the engines and body stylings. On the 335i as an example most of the cars did not come with ANY oil cooler and a subpar stock intercooler which is why for that platform those 2 additional pieces were required. In the Z4’s case they came with a stock oil cooler and given the flow characteristics the stock intercooler actual was efficient enough not to NEED to be replaced. Dinan never made those 2 parts for the Z4 because we didn’t see the need to do so."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So no, Stage 3 doesn't require any additional mods over Stage 2, for the Z4. But of course if you have any other questions/concerns about their product you should contact them directly. They are very quick to reply.
      02-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #10
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is not actually true. I looked into Dinan as well before I started modding my car. I e-mailed them about the upgraded oil cooler and intercooler, because they originally listed it as a requirement for the Z4. Here is the response I got from them:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Z4 stage 3 does not require those 2 pieces. A poor job of cutting and pasting can be blamed.

The same stage 3 software is shared with like engines but with slightly different requirements given the engines and body stylings. On the 335i as an example most of the cars did not come with ANY oil cooler and a subpar stock intercooler which is why for that platform those 2 additional pieces were required. In the Z4’s case they came with a stock oil cooler and given the flow characteristics the stock intercooler actual was efficient enough not to NEED to be replaced. Dinan never made those 2 parts for the Z4 because we didn’t see the need to do so."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So no, Stage 3 doesn't require any additional mods over Stage 2, for the Z4. But of course if you have any other questions/concerns about their product you should contact them directly. They are very quick to reply.
Thanks deljus, this is good to know. In that case I'll definitely go with stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I knew the 335i's with sport packages from the very 1st model year came with oil coolers and they didn't make that std. for a few model years after that. Did not know about the "sub par" intercooler on that car, though. Also, it makes perfect sense concerning the design and how that would affect intercooler performance between the two. Thanks for the research, and making me regret I didn't get III done. I hate you.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, I knew the 335i's with sport packages from the very 1st model year came with oil coolers and they didn't make that std. for a few model years after that. Did not know about the "sub par" intercooler on that car, though. Also, it makes perfect sense concerning the design and how that would affect intercooler performance between the two. Thanks for the research, and making me regret I didn't get III done. I hate you.
I was thinking you would say that In my case I am more confident I can get III instead of II.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
E89_77
Rep

Garage List
I have contacted one of the local Dinan dealers for stage III installation, they said

"Power I would expect about 80hp without an intercooler"

Anybody can chime in if that would be the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have contacted one of the local Dinan dealers for stage III installation, they said

"Power I would expect about 80hp without an intercooler"

Anybody can chime in if that would be the case.
Then that would be about the same as Stage II @ 378 HP. In the end, remember that BMW's stock HP has been proven to be underrated in first place on ALL their engines. In the case of the N54, many tests by many different reputable publications have stock ones putting down anywhere from the low 270's to the low 280's. Among the first of these was one putting 275 down in high humidity 90 degree ambient temps.

The point is, do the flash you want to do, but don't worry so much about it. It's all about the drive and peak numbers never, ever tell the whole story about how the car will perform. Taking your Dinan dealer's word at strictly face value, III isn't worth it in either of our cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #15
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
MHD is flash tune...

If you're going to get rid of the car after the lease you can always sell the MHD with ease.

And in regards to the intercooler just know that the e89 has an overheating issue and will go into limp mode even on a stock tune. But if you're only going to push the car once in awhile it shouldn't be a problem. If you tend to do some spirited driving it maybe worth the intercooler upgrade.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
MHD is flash tune...
Go re-read my post. I indicated that when it comes to flash tunes, I would still prefer a Dinan flash to MHD. Never said MHD wasn't a flash tune.

Quote:
If you're going to get rid of the car after the lease you can always sell the MHD with ease.
He can also get his warranty voided and be left on the hook for repairs. At least with Dinan you have a good shot at getting them (Dinan) to pay for repair work if BMW denies the repair under the factory warranty. And, no, "setting it back to stock" doesn't mean they can't tell your car has been tuned. When you suffer a catastrophic failure, BMW will, more often than not, start digging into you ECU logs. You can Magnusson-Moss me all you want, but at the end of the day it's on YOU to prove it and why would want to fight that battle? Now if your car isn't under warranty and you can pay to play, then absolutely MHD/JB4 the fuck out of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #17
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And, no, "setting it back to stock" doesn't mean they can't tell your car has been tuned. When you suffer a catastrophic failure, BMW will, more often than not, start digging into you ECU logs. You can Magnusson-Moss me all you want, but at the end of the day it's on YOU to prove it and why would want to fight that battle? Now if your car isn't under warranty and you can pay to play, then absolutely MHD/JB4 the fuck out of it.
Fun Fact...MHD and COBB copy you're complete ecu so when you revert back to stock it'll be as the moment you flashed it. Dinan is "ok" software, and extremely overpriced. And also you're not going to blow your motor with a off the shelf tune and a fmic unless you're driving around with no oil, or something equally foolish. Anyways its your car, do what ever the fuck you want with it. My point was that if you're going to run a stage 3 tune w/o intercooler you'll experience overheating and limp mode if you plan on doing spirited driving.

Look at my signature. I'm heavily modded and still go to the dealer for warranty maintenance. My dealer is good about that.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fun Fact...MHD and COBB copy you're complete ecu so when you revert back to stock it'll be as the moment you flashed it.
You don't have good reading comprehension skills, do you? I know WTF COBB and MHD do for a reflash to stock. I've done flashing of all sorts to SO many cars over the past 10 years using various companies and methods. We did the first APR flash on a MK5 in TX when they first came out on my kitchen table. The dealer can still tell the ECU was flashed, no matter what. They can, will, and have voided warranties for it. I know from witnessing it...OFTEN.

Quote:
Dinan is "ok" software, and extremely overpriced.
I am perfectly satisfied with "ok software" when it's race proven by a company that's known for tuning BMW's. I would've agreed with you on the pricing in the past (when it was $2K+), but again, you can't\don't\won't read. Did you not see what the pricing scheme is now? That's well worth it with a guarantee backing it up.

Quote:
And also you're not going to blow your motor with a off the shelf tune and a fmic unless you're driving around with no oil, or something equally foolish.
No where did I say or even imply that the tune itself would be the cause, but I'll bite now. I never had any issues with my Audi's on straight I or II tunes either for many miles. As the mods piled on (B7 A4 to APR Stage II+ and 8P A3 to APR K04 + FBO with both cars having full suspensions as well), same could be said. However, I did see more than enough other people have minor to catastrophic failures that ate their lunch due to similar or same mods. This all goes back to my "pay to play" statement. If you can risk it, go right on ahead.

Quote:
Anyways its your car, do what ever the fuck you want with it. My point was that if you're going to run a stage 3 tune w/o intercooler you'll experience overheating and limp mode if you plan on doing spirited driving.
I never responded to this because I don't disagree with you here.

Quote:
Look at my signature. I'm heavily modded and still go to the dealer for warranty maintenance. My dealer is good about that.
As I stated already, that's your experience and mine as well with my two previous Audi's, previous lightly modded 1er, and my current leased Z4. I can tell you that if I blew up the engine or trans., my wonderful SA's at both dealers and I discussed what would most likely happen (not covered). Have you tested this threshold with your dealer and SA at BMW? I highly doubt it. Everything with modding and manufacturer warranty is YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You don't have good reading comprehension skills, do you? I know WTF COBB and MHD do for a reflash to stock.
Honestly I skimmed through the thread, knowing that you've got a hard on for Dinan. I'm also happy to see how butt hurt you get over this trivial stuff. Enjoy you're over priced tune, glad you'll be leaving the platform once your lease up...
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I skimmed through the thread, knowing that you've got a hard on for Dinan.
Thank you for outing yourself. You're just a troll. I bet you just sit there all day salivating while waiting for someone to post a Dinan thread so you can troll it and make claims that aren't true. I should've read your signature sooner...the presence of a BOV in your mod list would've let me know who I was dealing with right away.
Quote:
I'm also happy to see how butt hurt you get over this trivial stuff. Enjoy you're over priced tune, glad you'll be leaving the platform once your lease up...
I'm not butt hurt, really, I simply relish the opportunity to expose people like you for the morons they are. I'll be around for a good 2.5 years, though...maybe another after that if I really like this car and my dealer let's me re-lease for a year.

Maybe one day soon I'll get to see your "My engine blew up and the dealer denied my warranty! What do I do now?" thread.

Enjoy your hacked together shitbox.

Last edited by davis449; 02-24-2017 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #21
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Hacked together...ha....nice one champ. Go back to your shitty Audis. Stay butt hurt...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #22
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hacked together...ha....nice one champ. Go back to your shitty Audis. Stay butt hurt...
Ah, so you must have an aftermarket BOV, too.
Appreciate 0