New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
KINetics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Open/Close roof and mirrors with 1 press of keyfob w/o CA! (requires module)

I've been in contact with the Sven, the developer for the mods4cars SmartTop module and they are planning a release soon for the 2009+ Z4.

Here is a video of their module in action:

They have a facebook page and twitter account if you want up to date info.

mods4cars Facebook Page

mod4cars Twitter account
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Kinetics, let us know as soon as they're available... i was waiting for Europeanautosource.com to come up with it but it looks like you guys are closer to it.
      12-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINetics View Post
I've been in contact with the Sven, the developer for the mods4cars SmartTop module and they are planning a release soon for the 2009+ Z4.

Here is a video of their module in action:

They have a facebook page and twitter account if you want up to date info.

mods4cars Facebook Page

mod4cars Twitter account

Well produced video.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
KINetics
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

It's released:

Buy:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=2456

Install Instructions:
http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...ll_7_Z4/en.php

Operation/Programming Instructions:
http://www.wit-usa.com/sms/db/smartt...eration/en.php

Gonna place my order soon. Maybe a nice Christmas present to myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Sounds like a nice item, but it's an aftermarket item which never gets any resale value when you sell the car. So, in my opinion they should consider this. It seems overpriced at $365. I'd pay $200 tops. If they want to sell more, they should lower the price.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 12-21-2009 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Speeeed

Can i JUST close all the windows with my remote? This is a feature i currently miss.

Also im not sure about the mirrors, currently i cannot close those from within the car. Does that mean i can also not do it with your remote?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

for 300 euro these guys sell a similar one http://www.reinhold-engineering.de/frames_e.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Maaij
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by godius View Post
Can i JUST close all the windows with my remote? This is a feature i currently miss.

Also im not sure about the mirrors, currently i cannot close those from within the car. Does that mean i can also not do it with your remote?
This can be done with programming: www.car-coding.de

See my videoclip:

If you have folding mirrors, you also have a button at the windows controls in the car (next where you select the left and right mirror).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:29 AM   #9
mrboon
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ok thx for the info. I think i might order one soon. I do think the price is a little high though 100$ less would be better.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

Price is too high for me. I'd pay between $200 to $250.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
ramiles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2010

I just ordered by Z4 last week, please help me understand how this product is differentiated with the comfort access* capability I ordered on my car arriving next week.

Things this product does that the comfort access doesn't is one touch control, operate while driving, and remote folding mirrors. Please confirm that the comfort access already has the remote capability but it has to be held continuously - so its real advantage is for someone without comfort access is this a fair summary?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #12
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiles View Post
I just ordered by Z4 last week, please help me understand how this product is differentiated with the comfort access* capability I ordered on my car arriving next week.

Things this product does that the comfort access doesn't is one touch control, operate while driving, and remote folding mirrors. Please confirm that the comfort access already has the remote capability but it has to be held continuously - so its real advantage is for someone without comfort access is this a fair summary?
This is also my understanding. Indeed, I'd like to be clear that it will work properly with Comfort Access. For example, I don't want the mirrors to fold every time I touch the door handle to lock up, only when needed. I understand that although it is programmable as someone might have elsewhere, BMW disabled this feature over concerns about the longevity of the mirror-folding motor.

Incidentally, at least one of the makers of these modules makes the maximum speed at which the roof can be operated programmable between 0 and 35 mph. I have no desire to open mine at 35 mph as I cannot see this as anything but a bad thing for the mechanism but I would like to be able to do it in slow moving traffic or have it continue if the lights change mid operation.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

I think this module is worth it, if only for the one touch operation. I don't think the folding mirrors feature is that necessary where I live as parking spaces are pretty spaced apart. If I do park on the street, its not that big an issue to manually fold the mirror.

I agree that the price should be less than $300 for what this offers. maybe the R&D for the module was more difficult than the R&D for the module that allows you to watch movies while driving?