New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
aj_in_LA
Rep
Drives: Z4

Damage estimate?

Pulled into a parking spot with one of those stoppers, didn't hear/feel anything. Pulled out and the front left bumper tore off a bit when it caught on the stopper. Coolant warning light came on when I was near the mechanic, so now it's in the shop. Did it just tear one of the hoses out, as they apparently connect to the radiator pretty low? Anybody have this happen before? Hoping it won't be an expensive fix for my first mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

I am sorry that that happened.... it sucks having a relatively lower vehicle.

I have one tip for you that I learned through a similar experience: never exclusively rely on your PDC sensor, particularly when it comes to curbs. Get out of your car to confirm distance when you feel too close, and proceed accordingly -- and even with this much caution you're bound to at least scratch your bumper at some point (and this is guaranteed if you have added an aftermarket lip like many of us.)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
aj_in_LA
Rep

I agree, I'm not going to trust feel/sound anymore. It turns out that the thermostat was leaking and there weren't any problems from the damage, it just so happened to give me the coolant signal at that point, and it sounds like its covered by the dealer, so I will take it there. Was expecting my first big BMW repair bill of 2-3k or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
I am sorry that that happened.... it sucks having a relatively lower vehicle.

I have one tip for you that I learned through a similar experience: never exclusively rely on your PDC sensor, particularly when it comes to curbs. Get out of your car to confirm distance when you feel too close, and proceed accordingly -- and even with this much caution you're bound to at least scratch your bumper at some point (and this is guaranteed if you have added an aftermarket lip like many of us.)
Allow me a small rant on that subject. This E89 is my wife's DD. She bought it with my blessings (I am the one who maintains it for her) after having owned 2 Miatas. The Mazdas were low too, but the ride height was somehow more manageable than the Z4. The front cap on this thing has been damaged so many times in so many ways that I'm reluctant to drive it any more. Part of it is the physical height of the lip; the other thing is the sheer length of the nose and judging where it ends! If it were mine, I would sell it tomorrow. But it's not, so I just let here enjoy it and try to steer clear of it myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #5
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

Sight Lines

Driving the Z is a definite pleasure, but parking and maneuvering, not so much. I am toying with using bluetooth cameras with smart phone monitoring.
I have never had a car that is so difficult to park, back-up, or get into narrow places. Mine has no driver assists. I am thinking there must be cheap bluetooth cams that could be installed in the grills and in the back where they would not be too obvious. I am also concerned about hitting the front fenders which are so hard to judge but am still using my wife as the spotter.
I have also placed cheap go-pro type imitations on a selfie stick to poke around unreachable places around the engine and transmission to spot leaks. I have also used the phone to take remote photos in this way. It will shoot when you say "shoot", or just use videos.
Any comments about sources etc are most welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
Driving the Z is a definite pleasure, but parking and maneuvering, not so much. I am toying with using bluetooth cameras with smart phone monitoring.
I have never had a car that is so difficult to park, back-up, or get into narrow places. Mine has no driver assists. I am thinking there must be cheap bluetooth cams that could be installed in the grills and in the back where they would not be too obvious. I am also concerned about hitting the front fenders which are so hard to judge but am still using my wife as the spotter.
I have also placed cheap go-pro type imitations on a selfie stick to poke around unreachable places around the engine and transmission to spot leaks. I have also used the phone to take remote photos in this way. It will shoot when you say "shoot", or just use videos.
Any comments about sources etc are most welcome
The front is very long, the back is very short. You can imagine driving a car with a long hood to that of driving from the back seat. The best estimate is to line up yo back seats of the car next to me. Bing bang boom.

Last edited by cruisingdownthestreet; 04-29-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #7
aj_in_LA
Rep

The worst part is the downtime. Been in the shop since Tuesday, dealer has it for thermostat replacement, taking until Monday. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
Herkypilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z-4 35i

My recommendation is to always back in if possible. A good bit more clearance on the rear in stock form. Use the side view mirror on the passenger side to auto tilt down when in reverse to look for the side curb if you are on an end parking spot. Works the best.

HP