New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #23
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLFCS View Post
. . .people could not see me driving my Z4. One was a large Bonneville. . .
One of these Bonneville's - no wonder he couldn't see you - you could fit a Z4 in its trunk!

Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
If only it was because the car was low...

We have plenty of airheads over here who change lanes without seeing anything. And not all of them drive volvos either!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Rather than starting a new thread, I wish to know how often do you guys (who drive during winter) wash your cars? My car is getting nasty and I'm wondering if there any adverse affects (salt?) if I left it w/ all that grime, slush, etc that comes from winter driving? How long would you leave it or must I pop over to the car wash asap/every other day?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #26
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Rather than starting a new thread, I wish to know how often do you guys (who drive during winter) wash your cars? My car is getting nasty and I'm wondering if there any adverse affects (salt?) if I left it w/ all that grime, slush, etc that comes from winter driving? How long would you leave it or must I pop over to the car wash asap/every other day?
I wash my car twice a month, every month. In the winter, if there's a lot of salt on the road, I wash it more often if needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #27
pse
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Z4-35is, Winter?

Packed in end of october, will stay there until end of march. The winters in the Oslo area is nothing for a low profile cab
Attached Images

01-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Todays cars are made from materials less susceptible to corrosion from the chemicals used on the winter roads. The use of plastic fastners, galanized/zinc coatings, undercarriage covers, sealed electrical connections, etc have substantially reduced the nasty effects of salts and chlorides used to keep the roads passable. The undercarriage of the Z4 is pretty well sealed via plastic covers that prevent massive splashing of road grim onto the engine & trans However, when the weather is above freezing, if you can, I would recommend a thorough wash down using a low pressure hose on the wheel wells, brakes, suspension components, and as much of the under carriage as possible. I was a quite obsessive with my first new car a 1975 Mustang (looking back now what a POS that was) driving in the winter. I'd bucket wash off the exterior road salts in the garage. I don't miss those days at all.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
Todays cars are made from materials less susceptible to corrosion from the chemicals used on the winter roads. The use of plastic fastners, galanized/zinc coatings, undercarriage covers, sealed electrical connections, etc have substantially reduced the nasty effects of salts and chlorides used to keep the roads passable. The undercarriage of the Z4 is pretty well sealed via plastic covers that prevent massive splashing of road grim onto the engine & trans However, when the weather is above freezing, if you can, I would recommend a thorough wash down using a low pressure hose on the wheel wells, brakes, suspension components, and as much of the under carriage as possible. I was a quite obsessive with my first new car a 1975 Mustang (looking back now what a POS that was) driving in the winter. I'd bucket wash off the exterior road salts in the garage. I don't miss those days at all.
Thx. Why not a high pressure wash for those components? I understand that high pressure for the roof seals are not good though but otherwise wouldn't it be good for the rest of the car to get a better cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #30
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
A lot depends on the snow removal budget, and worker competence in your area. I live in Calgary where the idiots in charge decided years ago that "just wait a bit, the chinook winds will clear the roads" was the answer. We have the same amount of snow removal equipment as in 1978 and the city has at least doubled in size since then. After a tremendous amount of voter unrest we have finally got the snow budget increased a little. (my side street has been plowed twice this year so far, so that's a total of three times now in 4 winters) get my drift? OOh, bad pun , sorry.

So a more reasonable aswer to the question is: Yes it is a 4 season car, depending on where you live and what you are willing to put up with.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #31
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

My e85 Z4 was my daily year-round driver for the last 7 years in New Hampshire. With good snow tires, it's perfectly fine almost all the time. I actually drove it less in non-winter weather since I got out the Ducati then.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue is ground clearance. Yesterday, after a heavy snow, I had to use my wife's X3 to get to work since the snow in the driveway was deeper than the Z4's doors and the berm left at the end of the driveway by the town plow was higher than the bonnet. Today, there was no difficulty at all getting to work even though all the small roads have a couple of cm of packed snow and all the big roads are wet.

Washing? Ha! The nearest car wash is 15 miles away and uses abrasive brushes. The nearest wand-style car wash is considerably farther. My outside taps are off for the winter and I don't want my driveway turned into an ice rink. I washed my Z4 a few times a year when the weather was decent or when I happened to be near a wand-style car wash. It doesn't have a speck of rust.

The crappy roads around here are hell on wheels, and the frost heaves in the spring warrant vigilance since some are big enough to rip off a front spoiler at speed.

A Z4 is a perfectly competent 4-season car here in the boonies of New England.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

you guys overthink this stuff.... just drive and enjoy your cars, don't baby them too much.... i don't see anything new from any manufacturer that i like so i'll probably just flip my zed for a 2012 Zed and drive it like i stole it, again...
      01-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #33
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
you guys overthink this stuff.... just drive and enjoy your cars, don't baby them too much.... i don't see anything new from any manufacturer that i like so i'll probably just flip my zed for a 2012 Zed and drive it like i stole it, again...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #34
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I drive my Z4 the asme way I'd drive say, a 335i. That means I'll drive on a freshly plowed road or when light snow is falling, but wouldn't risk it during a major snow storm.

When I lived on a dirt road in the Vermont mountain, I drove a Jeep.

So is the Z4 an all-season car? Yes, just like a 3-series is. In 99% of the country, 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #35
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeee View Post
A lot depends on the snow removal budget, and worker competence in your area. I live in Calgary where the idiots in charge decided years ago that "just wait a bit, the chinook winds will clear the roads" was the answer. We have the same amount of snow removal equipment as in 1978 and the city has at least doubled in size since then. After a tremendous amount of voter unrest we have finally got the snow budget increased a little. (my side street has been plowed twice this year so far, so that's a total of three times now in 4 winters) get my drift? OOh, bad pun , sorry.

So a more reasonable aswer to the question is: Yes it is a 4 season car, depending on where you live and what you are willing to put up with.
+1

Also I have to add don't park it enjoy it when the roads are dry even some snow on the ground is okay. Wash your car every week (and don't forget the wheel wells and once a month have the underside washed.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
I drive my Z4 the asme way I'd drive say, a 335i. That means I'll drive on a freshly plowed road or when light snow is falling, but wouldn't risk it during a major snow storm.

When I lived on a dirt road in the Vermont mountain, I drove a Jeep.

So is the Z4 an all-season car? Yes, just like a 3-series is. In 99% of the country, 99% of the time.
Well said! If you can afford to not drive those 5 or 6 days during the winter when the roads are not plowed, you're fine. Especially in Toronto, a day after a heavy snowfall and the main roads are all clear.

As far as washes go... I always go to touchless but this year I've fallen in love with those coin operated self-service washes. Pop in a $2 coin and rinse/soap/rinse the car in 3 minutes. Gets all the salt off, quick rinse of the mats and you're good to go. It doesn't leave it spotless like a fully automated car wash will do but for $2/$4 you can do it as needed and keeps the salt off the paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #37
mkindy
Rep
Drives: Vectra.. I know :-(

Well, All I can say is I have had my Zdy through two major (major for the uk) snow periods now. I live at the top of a hill where access is either a 1in6 or 1in5 hill..so pretty bloody steep :-)

The car is useless in the snow. But then again I expected it to be... I simply could not get up the hills... No matter what gear, how gently or aggressivley I applied power. It's annoying when a 5k front wheel drive MILF carrier zips around you and goes up a hill your car simply won't.

You're buying (bought) a low slung, RWD, sports car with big fat tyres on the back.. as a receipe for snow driving it's about a bad a combination as you can get. And we don't have anything like the snow levels you canucks do :-).. If snow hits the ground my car doesn't move..but then again I can work from home so not a big deal for me.

The big issue I found was the slip light (TC) comes on and basically stays on if snow is on the ground. I am sure snow tyres etc would help but the fundemental nature of the car is never going to ally itself to driving in snow.

Still can be fun trying !!!!

mkindy
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkindy View Post
The car is useless in the snow.
It is if it has summer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkindy View Post
I am sure snow tyres etc would help
With proper snow tires, the difference is like night and day. The snow in front of my house is literally shoulder-high. My driveway will be inches-deep in snow until spring (late April), and the public roads this morning had several inches of fresh snow from last night. I had no difficulty at all getting to work, including up a steep hill.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #39
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstevens View Post
It is if it has summer tires.

With proper snow tires, the difference is like night and day. The snow in front of my house is literally shoulder-high. My driveway will be inches-deep in snow until spring (late April), and the public roads this morning had several inches of fresh snow from last night. I had no difficulty at all getting to work, including up a steep hill.
+1

I have a winter wheel set the Michelin ICE are great winter tires. I never have a problem one needs to be easy on the gas of course.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #40
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

I agree on the snow tires. I bought them for the first time when i picked up my first Z in 09 and I trusted the dealer's word that I could use the car in the snow, otherwise it would have been a 335X, which is nice but not the same. Glad I did. Car is very tractable in three inches of snow and in high gear. I had mustangs sliding out on this one incline and the Z just made her way up and home. Slow and steady.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #41
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pse View Post
Packed in end of october, will stay there until end of march. The winters in the Oslo area is nothing for a low profile cab
never "packed"... been driving up and down the merritt parkway... having too much fun

Last edited by Memphis1; 02-18-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #42
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
never "packed"... been driving up and down the merritt parkway... having too much fun
+1

My Z4 is only happy when the wheels turn

I did not get the car to be parked, I got it so I can drive it whenever I need it. I cannot understand why anyone can park it and be happy

Memphis, my only question to you is what is inside your garage and why is your Z parked overnight outside? (perhaps the wife and daughters car? I feel for you having to clean up all that snow, hope your window seals are not frozen to the glass).

Might it be like many people on my street that there is no room in the garage to park your Z? About 80% of the people on my street park the car(s) in front of the garage since there is so much junk in there and simply no room for a car

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 01-28-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Added a small note/question :)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #43
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
EPIC winter here in New England (see Memphis' picture, he lives 15 miles from me) and the Z4 is perfectly driveable with the winter tires.

On Tuesday I spent 3 hours in traffic in 4 inches of snow, and I had better traction than most FWD cars with all-season tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #44
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Memphis, my only question to you is what is inside your garage and why is your Z parked overnight outside? (perhaps the wife and daughters car? I feel for you having to clean up all that snow, hope your window seals are not frozen
it's not my driveway... I'm probably at least half of everyones age here, not old enough for a daughter with a car . But yes my window got frozen to the seal. Lol