New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

07-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

My new Z4

I just discovered this forum while looking for more information on my new Z4.

First some background. I had an X3 at end of lease. Since I also have a 550i, I was looking at gettiing something different. I really like the new Z4 styling and extra room so I did a test drive and was hooked. It was then just a matter of choosing the car and getting a good deal. The local dealer had a loaded 35i and wanted to move it. So here it is:

2009 Z4 35i (note I hate the SDrive part). Its Black Sapphire with the Ivory white interior upgrade. Options include the DCT, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, and Premium Sound packages. Plus I've got the 19 inch wheels, Navigation, PDC, comfort access, and Sat radio.

First impressions are I really like it. Its decently comfortable as a daily driver or long trip vehicle. Yet its really fun to drive in full sport+ mode. I don't expect it to have the room and comfort of the 550i but that's not what I was looking for. I've never been a top-down person but have enjoyed the drives with it down. Mostly its too hot in Charlotte summers, and I'd rather not run top down on the interstate going into work in the mornings. I can't wait for some fall mountain drives. Here are the requisite pictures. Trust me when I say I can overwhelm everyone with pics.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
clwwong
Private
Rep
Drives: cayman

awesome pics!! tks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Wow, stunning black colour.

How much it costs you for this full option loaded car?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Rep
Drives: sDrive30i

Very nice! Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Looks stunning - congrats and happy driving!
      07-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

WOW, I can't get enough of the white interior with black exterior... what a beautiful contrast. Glad you found this forum, hope you stick around!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Congrats and welcome! Amazing ride and the 296's look sick!!! also, +1 on the LCI M-Sport E60
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
supernobita
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: black E92

The interior looks so nice man
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
fxhomie
Mr. Bahnbnr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, BMW 330Ci Conv. ZHP

My favorite color combo. Any night interior pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
TopDown
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i M Sport

Garage List
Great color combo, nice wheels, like the interior trim that comes with the white. Two questions;
  1. How do you like the DCT?
  2. How do you keep the white leather clean (had a hard time keeping white leather clean on a Z3)?

Glückwünsche und glück

Mine
G30 540i M Sport
Hers F36 440i Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Very nice colour indeed!

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDown View Post
Great color combo, nice wheels, like the interior trim that comes with the white. Two questions;
  1. How do you like the DCT?
  2. How do you keep the white leather clean (had a hard time keeping white leather clean on a Z3)?

Glückwünsche und glück
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

The DCT is awesome. Smooth yet response around town, and a real kick going thru the gears in sport+ mode.

So far so good with the white interior but I know I'll have to be REAL careful yet still keep up with the cleaning. Good news its not grainy and susceptable to getting dirt in the grain. I'll let you know in 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here are my first impressions, copied from a thread on another board:

The performance of the 3.0TT is defintely there. I've seen 0-60mph in 4.8 (R&T test). I haven't tried to replicate that or gone much over 5k RPM before break-in is complete. Mid range power is plenty and far more than the 3.0 would have been. It actually weighs just a bit more than a 135i coupe so its comparable. The 7 spd DCT is geared similar to a 135i 6spd (per my calcs) but 3-4-5-6-7 are closer ratios. There is always a throaty growl to the exhaust. I do like the DCT. The dynamic drive control gives 3 modes, normal, sport, & sport+. With the DCT, normal gives very smooth shifts (but never lazy and sloppy like even the sport auto can be), while sport shifts are quicker and more "snap", similar to full sport mode of the SAT but more so. Sport+ adds throttle blips and an abruptness to the shifts, not unlike SMG. Throttle response is decent in normal (unlike the 550i), and quickens a bit in sport modes but is never touchy. Its comparable to the 550i sport mode. I don't think it matches the response of the E39 M5 sport mode but that could be the slight turbo delay. Although, mid range power is always an easy press of the throttle, without having to punch it or wind it out. Its as satisfying as the 550i V8 but a completely different experience.

The ride is quite good in normal. I don't notice any bouncing like other short wheelbase cars. Sport firms things up but its still tolerable on most roads. Sport+ is noticeably firm but doesn't seem overly harsh. I would definitely use sport+ on the Tail of the Dragon. The handling seems to be there. Its got good high limits with slight understeer and easily controlled balance with the throttle. I do notice the fact of sitting near the rear axle, you feel the back end well. I WILL need to do more playing with the handling to really know the car. The steering is light but firms up by sport+. Its very quick and responsive but does lack raw feedback (but only when compared to the best BMWs, as noted in many reviews). Its been years since I've driven a Z3 coupe or ridden in a Z4 Coupe so I really can't compare it to those cars.

I love the interior. Very high end with the Nappa leather everywhere, even the tops of the doors and dash. I also like the white alcantara with strips on the seats and doors. I am going to have to be very carefull and not mark it up. The seats are comfortable but very supportive. It's got power adjustable side bolsters but they're not auto releasing like the 550i multi-comfort sport seats or whatever they are now called.

It does have all the top BMW goodies, far more than the X3 or older Z4. Of course the active zenons, full steering wheel controls, blue tooth, home link, auto headlights, and rain sensing wipers, but also dual zone auto A/C, residual heat, the new iDrive, voice control, and full iPod integration.

The premium sound is worthy of the name, and seems to be better than the 550i premium sound. I haven't played with storing any music but the iPod integration is seemless.

I like the new iDrive. Its easier to get around the menus but I am having to learn its system. I stored my common nav dests and it did seem to take some effort going from programming destinations to saving them in the address book.

Of course the coolest part is the power folding hard top. Its cool to open it all up as you approach the car. I've never been one to like driving with the top down but I can see the attraction and will make use of it, but not so much in the current 90 degree weather.

Storage space is the biggest downside. The glove box is small and made worse by the CD changer that I'll seldom ever use (included with premium sound). It barely holds the owners manual and certainly not the full folder of stuff. There is space behind the seats but a hat and umbrella fills that up with the seat full back. Sunglasses, a few maps, and mints fill the door pockets. The trunk space is decent with the top up but no larger than a small microwave with the top down. It might hold my camera/laptop backpack and one small overnight bag. There is a movable partition and sensors that ensure the trunk can allow the top to go down. You move the partition to utilize the full trunk space with the top up. The under floor storage can hold a pack of cigs but not much more. The small tool kit is in a rolled up vinyl pouch. That and a flashlight fill the under-floor. So I've got the folder of owners manuals under tie downs on the main trunk floor. I had thought it was just laziness that all cars at the dealer had stuff strewn about the trunk but there is no other place to store the items.

And a few more after 1 week:
Here are a few more impressions and pictures.
1. The new Z4 cruises nicely on the interstate. I had no issues with a 2 hour drive. I'm sure I could do much longer drives.
2. I have discovered roads and bumps where sport mode can really be felt.
3. The handling is excellent. On one of my favorite roads, I was able to play. Taking it to 8/10s was easy and rewarding. A middle gear, 3-4k RPMs for throttle control, Sport+ for firm steering and suspension, and DTC mode, and the car just begged for more. I was able to keep the car balanced through S curves with light throttle control and could have gone much faster. Yet I was hitting 65mph in the same turns where later I followed an MB CLK who was tapping the brakes at 45mph. Although it does feel quite edgy at the limit.
4. I really need a clear bra. One night time drive on the interstate and my front is covered with bugs.
5. It's comfortable for a 6'2" 250lb friend, once he got in the car.
6. I have to do a lunch sign up sheet at work to give all of my co-workers rides, one at a time.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
DDS246
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sdrive35

looks great!!! what a beauty. Enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
congratz, about time new owners posted more pics!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Here are my first impressions. . .
Great description of your experience so far.

With the top down, do you feel the need to have the have the rear windscreen at the roll bars?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #17
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Great description of your experience so far.

With the top down, do you feel the need to have the have the rear windscreen at the roll bars?
The wind jammer is a must over 45mph but really spoils your visability out the rear of the car.

Really great pics there
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Nebraska99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CLK 500, RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
The wind jammer is a must over 45mph but really spoils your visability out the rear of the car.

Really great pics there
Andy, does that windscreen really make much difference to the wind buffeting/noise in the car?

Thanks, Colin.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #19
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

this car is so beautyfull!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #20
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

be still my beating heart...

That is almost identical to our build which is in the states, and making its way to SC for our PDC pickup on 8/4. I cannot wait..

And in the meanwhile, please feel free to post as many pics as you want. If nobody else, I will absolutely enjoy them...

BTW, what floormats are those?

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #21
CGA77
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

I've been strolling through the posts since I became interested in the Z4 and have thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the information and the civility of the responses.

My new Z4 awaits my arrival next week in SC at the Performance Center. I ordered the Z4 sDrive 35i, deep sea blue, beige leather, wood trim, premium and sport packages, 7-speed double clutch, and nav system. Based on what I'm reading on the base sound system maybe I should have sprung for the premium system!

Since I'm flying in to SC I'd love to know what the dimensions of the trunk are with the top down so I won't pack to big for the trip back. Would someone please send me the dimensions for the trunk with the top down? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
JeF4y
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGA77 View Post
Since I'm flying in to SC I'd love to know what the dimensions of the trunk are with the top down so I won't pack to big for the trip back. Would someone please send me the dimensions for the trunk with the top down? Thanks!
While I don't have dimensions, I will say that I was surprised to see how much room was there. Now, getting in and out of it is another story. LOL

With the top down, if your bag will fit in an overhead airline bin, it will fit easily into the trunk. However, you will need to bring the top halfway up to get it in (most likely). Especially if a hard-side bag, or a bag that is very full.

A soft duffel may be able to squeeze through the opening with the roof down.

If in doubt (and you don't get measurements), just take a piece of luggage by your local dealer and see if it fits.

And do report back on the PDC experience!! I'm on 8/4 and VERY interested to hear what you have to say about it.

Prev: 09 Z4 35i Black w/white napa leather & every option possible =)
Appreciate 0