New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #67
Drjoeb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

3k miles - no issues. No rattles, nothing wrong. Only complaint is the harsh ride with the RFT - come spring I'll replace those with non RF.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #68
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
5666 miles today and no problems at all... and I drive it like I stole it
14500 and the only issue was the passenger seat sensor, fixed under warranty, after first service, feels like it did with zero miles.

absolutely hate how soft winter tires are
      12-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #69
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

At 7,500kms so far the following items:

1. Replaced left/right mirrors for grinding noise when folding inward
2. Roof adjustments to resolve creaking noises, specifically on hot or humid summer days

Other than that, the car has been an absolute dream to drive & own; can't wait to "unpack" the car next March or April!

Depending on the weather this winter, I may install (replace) my front side reflectors (which I purchased a month ago) and de-badge. I'll post some pix when it's done.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #70
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

at 25k km, dct gearbox was replaced due to the detection of some oil around the gearbox cover at the bottom of the car.. BMW then did no have oil seal part number and I got a whole new gearbox under warranty.

guys how do you perform a roof adjustment to resolve the creaking noises?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #71
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
absolutely hate how soft winter tires are
I have run-flat winter tires, the rigid sidewalls makes them feel just right.

Oh, and I'm at 8 months and 6,500 miles/10,500 km and still zero problem with the car.

Check Engine light did come up once a few months ago then went away on its own within 2 days.

Looking forward to upgrading in the Spring to 18" BBS wheels and non-run flat tires, and the Dinan stage-II software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #72
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I'm less than 7,000kms, so far:
1. creaky driver side mirror - tech added some lubricant and it's fine;
2. also passenger seat sensor malfunction - replaced sensor;
3. 'woo' noises from LPFP suspected? mostly gone, nothing done to it; and
4. noisy roof sometimes now that winter has set in...but not really classified as a prb, just being realistic since it's a convertible w/ rubber seals.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #73
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I hear something like the sound of a cricket when I go over a slight bump in the road. Less now since I took off the wheels with the stock RFT and mounted my 18 inch wheels with the Non-RFT from Michelin.

If the noise is still there next summer then BMW has to fix it, it goes on my nerves (unless it is a Canadian cricket having survived the harsh Canadian winter hahaha).

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #74
fisherman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive 30i

Just turned 2500 miles and car has been absolutely perfect ! No squeaks, rattles, or anything else . I love this car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even been experimenting with running the stock 18" runflats in the cold weather. The manual indicates that temp should be above 45 degrees( I think ) for use, but I have been taking the car out down to 20 degrees with no observed differences. I don't plan to use if there is snow or ice around, but on clear dry roads, driving has been a pleasant surprise. Didn't think I'd ever need the heated seats and steering wheel, but they are getting use the last couple of weeks.

Did I say I love this car ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #75
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

2000km and got an engine failure light and reduced power message and then a complete engine failure.(all that within 10-15 secs) it is now sitting at the dealership waiting for them to look into the problem. symptoms look like the all-too-familiar hpfp issue.
it was put on a truck and taken to the dealership, we tried it again at the dealership and it worked just fine. anyway, decided to leave it there for them to look into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #76
Darbs330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

5k+ Trouble free and FUN miles...

+ I have become a HUGE fan of the sport mode (rocker switch)
+ I love the responsiveness of the paddle shifters, when I choose to go "manual" (except when turning at an intersection at a stop; changing from 1st to 2nd can only be comfortably be done via the stick.)

Minor annoyances...
- Periodic window gremlins
(when raising all windows after closing top... sometimes one or both of the cabin windows will lower mysteriously - reported by many others, and was also an issue with my '04 330cic)
----------
Solution: simply raise the possessed window(s)... acting like it was supposed to do that (err... a "Safety Feature"... yeah, that's it.)

- Audio System/Ipod hiccup...
(when starting the car... sometimes the audio system will recognize the attached Ipod, playing the 1st track in its library, but not list any contents - and instead stay in a "Reading Device" mode)
----------
Solution: Unplug Ipod (usb) and plug in again.

- Seat Mechanism...
(No quick access to the, albeit, limited space behind the seats... forced to use seat motors - '04 330cic has quick release seat back and "fast forward/reverse" switch)
----------
Solution: Set one memory button to the full forward position for seat and back... it's still slow, but not quite as awkward.

- Stock RFT's (just not a fan)
----------
Solution: will replace... eventually...

2011 Z4 sDrive35i - Space Grey/Walnut/Ash Grain/DCT

2004 330ci Convertible - Oxford Green/Sand/Myrtle Wood
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #77
Flash60
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35 Saph Black

July 2009 build with 30,000 K's ...

Just had HPFP replaced,

Right Hand padle shift lever has de laminated and will be replaced,

Rear tyres starting to show inside wear (19" RFT) and will need replacement within another 2000 k's

Roof creak was adjusted early in ownership and has been quiet since.

Intermitant adaptive headlight warning/fault that the dealer cannot replicate ??

Goes quick, looks great .. I am a happy bloke so far
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #78
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

30k, no issues so far.
      02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #79
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice03 View Post
well,seems that my z is suffering from several cabin noises, already
, so wonder how this is going to be in some months...

Also noticed this morning that left door is not well adjusted / aligned, almost have the impression that not properly closed..

guess still some adjustments to make in factory ...
My Z4 is just fine thank you after some 26,000 + KM

The wheels and tires the boys put on this fine automobile do stink Big Time I say.

Then there is the story of the HPFP ... oh well I wonder what will surface next.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #80
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
30k, no issues so far.
Good to hear Kris,

Do check your wheels from time to time. Once you find a hairline crack it is time to see your Dealer

Take Care,

Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #81
maxzander
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago View Post
I find a large gap (misalignment?) between front headlights (left and right) and the front bumper. Is it a quality issue? Do I need to ask the dealer to fix it?
no kidding! theres gap on mine too..exactly same as yours...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #82
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I also had the headlight gap. They adjusted it for me. Now ok.

I had lots of roof rattles. They adjusted them and they went away. Six months now and 12000 km, sorry to say the roof rattles are back.

My windows did the dance, a new upgraded window seal kit is on order which is supposed to fix this known issue. Ask your dealer for it if your windows are dancing.

I have had many door an boot sensor issues where they won't let me in the car until I open and close the roof. Annoying. Sensors being adjusted and replaced regularly.

Latest problem is a very noisy steering sound. BMW is going to replace the steering rack. Geeez.

Still great fun to drive top down. I need to get the roof adjusted. Again. Before I will enjoy driving it with the top up again.
Arghh.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #83
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice03 View Post
well,seems that my z is suffering from several cabin noises, already
, so wonder how this is going to be in some months...

Also noticed this morning that left door is not well adjusted / aligned, almost have the impression that not properly closed..

guess still some adjustments to make in factory ...
I do have to agree ... my former Z4 35i (traded he in yesterday) did develop several cabin noises ... I did make sure my tool kit in the trunk was well wrapped in paper towels (each tool) to ensure noting would rattle etc.

Still as the weather got colder the noises increased I put it due to the roof mechanism being cold and shrinking and tolerated it.

The noises somehow were less of course once I changed to the winter wheel set that was not outfitted with RFT. Still here and then I heard what sounded like a cricket is living in my trunk then ruled that out with our cold temperatures.

Soon after starting there would be a bang like noise I heard from under the dash (might be also expansion of something after the cabin warmed up).

Anyway yesterday I drove her to the dealer (210 KM) with the stock 19 inch RFT back on as her shoes there were all kinds of rattles to be heard mostly after driving along some of the bad Toronto roads.

Then the drive home in my new M3 was without any noises at all

Bottom line, yes one can expect a rattle and or strange noise here and then from a car with a retractable hard top. When you think about it there are quite a lot of mechanical connections and fitting, some of them will change slightly with temperature changes. Not to worry the weather will change soon and all those strange noises will fade away.

I did read somewhere that some members had the dealer grease the links and fittings etc. and that did improve the noise issue. In my case the change in tires was a great help.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #84
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

NO MAJOR ISSUES. The resale value of this car will be phenominal!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #85
enpassant
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M 08

May cancel my build order for Z435is after reading these posts

My Z4M lease is up this May.
I have a build date for E.D. in late June for 35is that I may cancel.
Rattles drive me crazy.
No rattles in my Z4M.
I also have 02 Audi S4 with 70k+ miles=dead quiet.
My wife 04 Acura RL=no rattles.
I've driven all these cars over some awful New England roads and have hit some nasty pot holes.
Both cars very well made.
My other concern was the terrible reliability rating for BMW in the latest C.R.

I may go to Audi or Porche.

What is BMW thinking with the lack of QC?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #86
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I have a few rattles in my Z4 after 15,000 miles. I have 1-2 in the dash/nav/console area but most are from the top or mechanism. I have been in cars far worse over the same roads despite the Z4 being a convertible, and having an ultra stiff ride. I would expect it to be more susceptible to rattles.

Every BMW sedan I've owned has been among the tightest cars I've been in, but some have had miscellaneous noises, like door seals. But that could be because the cars are so tight and quiet otherwise, that you hear the slightest of noises.

Overall, I've had the HPFP recall, and one major failure in the Z4, the brake booster. The only other problem was a broken hinge in the trunk shelf for the top. They fixed that when they did the HPFP recall.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #87
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Perhaps you should check with your dealer re: resale value. You might be surprised to know it might not exceed 44K to 45K depending on milage of course.

Or are you thinking of the very distant future?

Perhaps you would get more in a private sale.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #88
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
You're either being sarcastic or delusional... Either way is funny