New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
2Intense
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 sDrive 3.5i (Red)

Direct replacement speakers?

I have the premium hi-fi in the 2010 I just purchased however I believe several of the speakers are blown because there is excessive vibration and it sounds like crap. I’m not interested in doing anything beyond replacing the speakers. Is there a off-the-shelf direct replacement set for this system?

How many speakers am I looking at? I believe the center speaker in the dash is fine but the ones behind the head rest and bowl seats sounds terrible and the ones in the doors do not sound particularly good as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Check with Crutchfield:https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Chf9MehrrQP/
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

From a video I watched for a BavSound speaker replacement video (below), the dash speaker, the one above the ski passthrough, and the rear/side are super easy to replace, and the door speakers are no big deal. I've read though that the subs behind the seats are a tremendous pain in the ass that requires disassembling a bunch of stuff to get to them. The BavSound Stage One replacement speakers are all direct replacements for all but the Sub and the kit runs $797.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

BavSound is easiest, complete solution. Other speakers fit - search the forum, lots of recent discussions on this (past ~6 months).
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Bavsound is the most shrinkwrap solution in the USA. There are other choices, but they require investigation, and often it helps to order overseas (where the fitment is better supported). Depends on what kinda guy you are, which suits you better.

Filippo
      11-09-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Unless something has changed, bavsound did not have a replacement speaker for the woofers in the footwells. I did their stage 1 kit and it didn’t include them. I went back to them to purchase those later and they told me it’s an odd size and that they don’t make them.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosd View Post
Unless something has changed, bavsound did not have a replacement speaker for the woofers in the footwells. I did their stage 1 kit and it didn’t include them. I went back to them to purchase those later and they told me it’s an odd size and that they don’t make them.
That tells me they don't make or have them made. This is a sourcing issue then, they most likely just rebrand a speaker someone else is making that is the same size.

If they had them custom made why would it matter the size of the speaker??
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #8
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Those speakers don't line up with any other speaker for BMW, and simply they felt it wasn't worth pursuing for such a limited car as the Z4. Look at my thread, and I have information on replacing those speakers.

This post might help if you are looking for mid-bass replacements.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=114

Filippo
      11-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
Those speakers don't line up with any other speaker for BMW, and simply they felt it wasn't worth pursuing for such a limited car as the Z4. Look at my thread, and I have information on replacing those speakers.

This post might help if you are looking for mid-bass replacements.
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=114

Filippo
Thanks Filippo. Did you notice a big difference when you installed the Hertz mid-bass drivers? I have a small alpine power pack amp driving my fronts. The bavsound upgrade with the amp is louder and clearer than stock, but there’s literally zero bass response with the stock mid-bass. They also limit the amount I can turn up the gain on the amp as they are the first to break up with distortion.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not finished with my system so I'm hesitant to voice any opinions as it is premature. It's now getting cold here in Virginia so the car will soon come apart for the winter, and this is one of 3 projects that will get finished.

I'm hoping that replacing the rears with Rainbows, and having upgraded the amp (along with DSP tuning) will get me in the zip code. Otherwise the new dsp/amp has outputs for powering a separate amp/sub.

When I continue working on my car, I'll be posting on the thread, where I gave you a link.

Good luck!

Filippo