New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #111
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ View Post
Yes, 5 cars in the segment.

I consider the 370Z Roadster to barely be in this segment. The other 4 are luxury brands (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) and the Nissan is not.
The 370Z Roadster pricing is well under the other 4 as well.
True, no luxury... but the 370Z specs & performances are similar to the ones of the other mentioned cars. Or even better in same aspects. For this reason I put it in this group. For example, the 370Z coupe is not bad at all for what concern the dynamic characteristics. It is fast at the track and easy to drive trough the corners. Faster than SLK 350 for sure and probably of the Z4 35i too. NOTE: i'm talking about the coupe version. Never driven the roadster that should be less performing. The TTS is faster than it feels. It feels "artificial" and a bit boring to drive, IMO, but if you meet it at the track is not easy to follow its pace. Finally the Boxster is the only true sport car of the group.
Similar but different cars. For different customers.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.

Last edited by javol; 08-28-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #112
BluuZ4AZ
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by javol View Post
True, no luxury... but the 370Z specs & performances are similar to the ones of the other mentioned cars. Or even better in same aspects. For this reason I put it in this group. For example, the 370Z coupe is not bad at all for what concern the dynamic characteristics. It is fast at the track and easy to drive trough the corners. Faster than SLK 350 for sure and probably of the Z4 35i too. NOTE: i'm talking about the coupe version. Never driven the roadster that should be less performing. The TTS is faster than it feels. It feels "artificial" and a bit boring to drive, IMO, but if you meet it at the track is not easy to follow its pace. Finally the Boxster is the only true sport car of the group.
Similar but different cars. For different customers.
I test drove a 370 Roadster just for the fun of it. The 370Z Roadster is not quite as fast as the 35i on paper, nor does it feel as fast. Nothing like peak torque at 1500 rpms!!!! I've become somewhat of a torque junkie, with my 2009 35i and the 2007 Corvette Coupe (Z51) prior to that.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #113
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ View Post
... The 370Z Roadster is not quite as fast as the 35i on paper, nor does it feel as fast. Nothing like peak torque at 1500 rpms!!!!
For sure... if we merely talk about torque and hence, acceleration, the N54 is way better than the V6 3.7 NA Nissan.

I was talking about the speed of the 370Z coupe at the track, mainly related to handling, braking and speed carried out trough the corners, all those things having a great influence on total lap time.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #114
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-e89 View Post
the KW V3's do make a huge difference in terms of handling. I feel this is how the car should drive out of the factory. Before the upgrade, the z4 feels very sluggish and overridden with understeer. Especially noticeable is the unresponsive turn-in when cornering.

the V3's are highly adjustable; ride height, rebound & stiffness. So I've been playing around with the settings a bit recently.

But my conclusion is that as a 'GT' car, it is disappointing... If you drove an X5M you will be impressed at how a large beast like that could be heaps more nimble and highly responsive than the low, 2 seater that is the e-89. So the technology is there...

Therefore, I would welcome any type of 'M' suspension/LSD, etc upgrades to the car. I think it would make the already 'fairly awesome' car 'sensational', and somewhat closer to the 1M/M3 performance range.
tyvm for your input, very useful! and it seems to be in line with what everyone else is saying about the KW V3's/LSD upgrades so looks more and more like I will be making a switch to an e89
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #115
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Corvette is in there too.. especially the vert with the 427ci motor

Last edited by nicknaz; 09-04-2012 at 03:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #116
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Can't believe people are trying to say Chevy and Nissan belong in luxury roadster segment LOL

Let's start add lotus to the mix it belongs in there just as much ahaha
      09-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #117
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-e89 View Post
the KW V3's do make a huge difference in terms of handling. I feel this is how the car should drive out of the factory. Before the upgrade, the z4 feels very sluggish and overridden with understeer. Especially noticeable is the unresponsive turn-in when cornering.

the V3's are highly adjustable; ride height, rebound & stiffness. So I've been playing around with the settings a bit recently.

But my conclusion is that as a 'GT' car, it is disappointing... If you drove an X5M you will be impressed at how a large beast like that could be heaps more nimble and highly responsive than the low, 2 seater that is the e-89. So the technology is there...

Therefore, I would welcome any type of 'M' suspension/LSD, etc upgrades to the car. I think it would make the already 'fairly awesome' car 'sensational', and somewhat closer to the 1M/M3 performance range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prikaz View Post
tyvm for your input, very useful! and it seems to be in line with what everyone else is saying about the KW V3's/LSD upgrades so looks more and more like I will be making a switch to an e89
I'm still incredibly disappointed there isn't a M model for the e89.
The 35is model simply didn't do it enough for me... it drove like the other e89s with the same faults in the steering and handling, just a lot faster. I didn't even look at the 35is model because of the transmission options (or lack thereof).

Which brings me to my point; if BMW isn't going bring an new M roadster to market, I'd also welcome a M Performance 35i... as long as it has a manual gearbox and no EPS.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:33 AM   #118
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Can't believe people are trying to say Chevy and Nissan belong in luxury roadster segment LOL

Let's start add lotus to the mix it belongs in there just as much ahaha
If we are comparing 2 seat convertibles in the $50-$70k MSRP I don't see why the Vette doesn't belong, especially the one with the Z06 motor.

I get that some BMW owners won't cross shop American brands due to "brand status" conccerns but the reality is that in every category other than interior quality the C6 Vette is world class machine.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #119
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post
The 35is model simply didn't do it enough for me... it drove like the other e89s with the same faults in the steering and handling, just a lot faster. I didn't even look at the 35is model because of the transmission options (or lack thereof).

Which brings me to my point; if BMW isn't going bring an new M roadster to market, I'd also welcome a M Performance 35i... as long as it has a manual gearbox and no EPS.
Hi I think EPS is here to stay and will probably move to other models as they continue to develop the technology, they may get even better at 'Feel' which is the biggest complaint!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #120
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

EPS is here to stay as the new 911 even has it - yikes!!! That being said, I do miss the hydraulic steering as my X5 35d has better steering feel than the X3 or Z4. The X3 and Z4 are really good but when you drive the X5 or even a 3 series loaner (outgoing model), you realize what you are missing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #121
BluuZ4AZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasmir View Post

Many of us have replaced the OEM Run Flats with the proper performance tires this car deserves and no longer feel any steering or handling "faults".
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #122
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ
Many of us have replaced the OEM Run Flats with the proper performance tires this car deserves and no longer feel any steering or handling "faults".
Then perhaps I should look at swapping out the OEM RFTs!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #123
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree as we are running Michelin PSS and it GREATLY improves the handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #124
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
EPS is here to stay as the new 911 even has it - yikes!!! That being said, I do miss the hydraulic steering as my X5 35d has better steering feel than the X3 or Z4. The X3 and Z4 are really good but when you drive the X5 or even a 3 series loaner (outgoing model), you realize what you are missing.
Sad but true EPS is here to stay. All the manufactures are looking at it because it eliminates a parasitic load (hydraulic pump) on the engine. I just never believed that Porsche would take the plunge.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #125
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If we are comparing 2 seat convertibles in the $50-$70k MSRP I don't see why the Vette doesn't belong, especially the one with the Z06 motor.

I get that some BMW owners won't cross shop American brands due to "brand status" conccerns but the reality is that in every category other than interior quality the C6 Vette is world class machine.
If the Vette is a world class machine, why does the rest of the world shun the car? The US does a lot of great things, far better than many other countries, but car making is not its best achievement....sorry
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #126
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Sad but true EPS is here to stay. All the manufactures are looking at it because it eliminates a parasitic load (hydraulic pump) on the engine. I just never believed that Porsche would take the plunge.
I know I know! but the parasitic load is TINY when translated to fuel consumption/mileage, especially when compared to the steering feel that you lose with EPS - sucks hard. we are all being tricked into liking EPS because soon you will not be able to drive a car with hydraulic steering! so, they want you to forget what you are missing

example: if you go drive a 2011 911 and then hop in a 2012 911 - you will be very disappointed in the steering; if you only drive the 2012 model, you will think the steering is good

Last edited by Vintage; 09-08-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #127
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
If the Vette is a world class machine, why does the rest of the world shun the car? The US does a lot of great things, far better than many other countries, but car making is not its best achievement....sorry
My guess is that it is a combination of the cost of fueling a 7.0L motor outside of the US together with brand snobbery. It certainly isn't the performance that is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #128
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Classic example is, a lot of Lexus, Mercs etc, have lower grade plastics in them than their European counterparts. And look at the older suspension set ups on newish Vettes....the US lags behind in building decent cars. Sorry guys but it's true. Best 4 WD/Off Road cars....Range Rover, best sports car in its class Porsche, BMW's, Astons etc, nothing from the US. Even the Ford Focus was developed in Europe and then went to the US later.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #129
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
the US lags behind in building decent cars.
yup. I don't disagree. Boss 302 Mustang, Camaro 1LE, C6 Vette and CTS-V are the only US cars I would consider purchasing, and clearly I didn't because I went with the Z4

But I am starting to find the Z4 acceleration to be slow/boring so we'll see what happens next time around...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #130
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
...they want you to forget what you are missing
QFT
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #131
BluuZ4AZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
yup. I don't disagree. Boss 302 Mustang, Camaro 1LE, C6 Vette and CTS-V are the only US cars I would consider purchasing, and clearly I didn't because I went with the Z4

But I am starting to find the Z4 acceleration to be slow/boring so we'll see what happens next time around...
I went from my 2007 Corvette Coupe Z51 to my 2009 35i and not once had the thought that the acceleration in the 35i was slow/boring. As a matter of fact the immediate torque in the 35i makes it all that much more fun than the Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #132
jc-e89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4 35i

Quote:
be interested to hear how the e89 compares to the e46 m3! :-)
Appreciate 0