New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #23
sustrafics
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpwheels
I notice you tires are different height. The 35 in your size is a ratio between your sidewall and your width. Even with staggered fitment, your tire circumference should be the same. This could affect your ABS and traction control. The swaying may be the car trying to correct what it thinks is a spin or a slide. You may need a 275/30/19 in the rear to balance the fronts out, but that might be too wide for your rims
Thanks for your answer. Do you think 225/35/19 tyres will fit the 8.5 inches front wheels? Or will it be too stretched?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #24
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117
That is definately tramlining. The less meat you have between teh tire and the rim the more yuo will fell the tramlining.
The problem is that I have already driven other cars and didn't feel it. That is my problem...
I am planning to buy new tyres. But I am "affraid" that I will spend a lot of money and the problem persists. Should I get rid of these wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustrafics View Post
Thanks for your answer. Do you think 225/35/19 tyres will fit the 8.5 inches front wheels? Or will it be too stretched?
It should be ok.

That size tire is on an 8 inch wide wheel from the factory and there is a range of wheel widths that is acceptable.

If you are getting new tires anyway, 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 has been posted by many other forums members as working well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #26
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
It should be ok.

That size tire is on an 8 inch wide wheel from the factory and there is a range of wheel widths that is acceptable.

If you are getting new tires anyway, 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 has been posted by many other forums members as working well.
Thanks for your help. The problem is that here in my country those tyre measures are not approved in the E89. At least in the papper that I have to show to the cops those measures are not approved. That's why I am going for the stock measures...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your help. The problem is that here in my country those tyre measures are not approved in the E89. At least in the papper that I have to show to the cops those measures are not approved. That's why I am going for the stock measures...
Yes, going to stock is a good idea. Or at least, if you don't do the stock size make sure the difference in tire diameter between the front and rear is similar to stock.

The stock 18" staggered tires have a 0.2% difference and the stock 19" staggered tires have a 0.7% difference

If I was in your situation, I would not have gotten the 255/35/19 rear tire in the first place. That is about 3% difference from the OEM tire diameter and your combination of tires has 2% difference in diameter between the front and the rear.

As others have pointed out, there difference in rotation speeds between angles is one of the inputs used by the car's stability control system. I am not sure on the acceptable tolerance for the difference in front and rear tire diameter, but I am GUESSING (as others have) that your tires have too much difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #28
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #29
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:

Yes, going to stock is a good idea. Or at least, if you don't do the stock size make sure the difference in tire diameter between the front and rear is similar to stock.

The stock 18" staggered tires have a 0.2% difference and the stock 19" staggered tires have a 0.7% difference

If I was in your situation, I would not have gotten the 255/35/19 rear tire in the first place. That is about 3% difference from the OEM tire diameter and your combination of tires has 2% difference in diameter between the front and the rear.

As others have pointed out, there difference in rotation speeds between angles is one of the inputs used by the car's stability control system. I am not sure on the acceptable tolerance for the difference in front and rear tire diameter, but I am GUESSING (as others have) that your tires have too much difference.
Thank you for your clear answer. I will change to stock tyres, then. Do you think the wheels being all the same size is not creating the problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #30
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your clear answer. I will change to stock tyres, then. Do you think the wheels being all the same size is not creating the problem?
That would not create any problems. As far as I understand it only way the wheels could create a problem is if they are cracked or bent or if a wheel weight has fallen off

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can change the brand of tire with no issues, just make sure the sizes make sense
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #31
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
After some time has passed, the problem persists. I am planning to get back to the 18'' wheels. The dealer says that my problem must be related to the wheels size (8,5 inches square set) and tyres being too large and non RFT. They say that I should be driving RFT as they are much more secure and I wouldn't feel that strange feeling of swaying. What do you think so?
You cannot run 19" without an offset front to rear, so saying that your 19" wheels are 8.5" all round is why you are having a problem.........This is not even including any disparity in tyre size.........
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven333 View Post
You cannot run 19" without an offset front to rear, so saying that your 19" wheels are 8.5" all round is why you are having a problem.........This is not even including any disparity in tyre size.........
I think that's a bit of a blanket statement...

8" wide wheel with ET29 offset works front and rear (ie oem style 290).

8.5" wide would be ok for a "square" tire setup if the offsets were appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #33
Gpwheels
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 z4sdrive35i

Also, don't buy the part about going back to RFTs. Lots of people are running non-RFTs and have no issues. Most people prefer them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #34
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

8.5" wide would be ok for a "square" tire setup if the offsets were appropriate.
Hi ! Agree with the use of blanket statements with little supporting data but in this case I know someone who tried to use 8.5" square 19" wheels on all four corners and had real issues, he only drove it for some 20+ miles, contacted his friend a BMW mechanic (he was in a bit of a panic) who told him that it would always be a problem with that configuration and to remove them as it was not worth it, it is not the rears that are the issue it is the fronts..........it upsets the geometry somehow, but I do not know how???
Personally I thought you could not get 8.5" /19" upfront as they will not fit without using spacers anyway?????
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #35
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven333
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

Hi ! Agree with the use of blanket statements with little supporting data but in this case I know someone who tried to use 8.5" square 19" wheels on all four corners and had real issues, he only drove it for some 20+ miles, contacted his friend a BMW mechanic (he was in a bit of a panic) who told him that it would always be a problem with that configuration and to remove them as it was not worth it, it is not the rears that are the issue it is the fronts..........it upsets the geometry somehow, but I do not know how???
Personally I thought you could not get 8.5" /19" upfront as they will not fit without using spacers anyway?????
I thought the problem had to do with the tyres and not the wheels...do you think I should get rid of them? I really like the way they look, because they are the most similar to 326M wheels I could find. It was impossible to find the original 326M to buy!!

Thanks for your help...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #36
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I thought the problem had to do with the tyres and not the wheels...do you think I should get rid of them? I really like the way they look, because they are the most similar to 326M wheels I could find. It was impossible to find the original 326M to buy!!

Thanks for your help...
If I was in your shoes, I would not change the wheels if there is no rub. As a double check, look at the offset of your new wheels to see how much different they are from the wheels others have been using on their E89
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #37
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your help...
If I was in your shoes, I would not change the wheels if there is no rub. As a double check, look at the offset of your new wheels to see how much different they are from the wheels others have been using on their E89
There is no rub at all. The problem is just tramlining and feeling that the car is not what it used to be when It was on 18" wheels. If I could find a good deal for 326M wheels I would change...the problem is that they are very rare!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #38
Gpwheels
Private
Rep

Unless the wheels are damaged, they should be fine, but you probably need different tires. If you are unsure about sizing, go to a reputable tire shop (doesn't have to be BMW) and ask them what sizes they recommend. They should be able to recommend a staggered fitment with the same diameter or circumference. A good tire shop should also warranty the fit, so if they don't drive well, they would change sizes or suggest spacers or an alignment. If you are not worried about being stranded with a flat, I would stay away from RFTs. The stiff sidewall compromises handling and ride quality and you pay a premium for them (just don't get a flat).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpwheels
Unless the wheels are damaged, they should be fine, but you probably need different tires. If you are unsure about sizing, go to a reputable tire shop (doesn't have to be BMW) and ask them what sizes they recommend. They should be able to recommend a staggered fitment with the same diameter or circumference. A good tire shop should also warranty the fit, so if they don't drive well, they would change sizes or suggest spacers or an alignment. If you are not worried about being stranded with a flat, I would stay away from RFTs. The stiff sidewall compromises handling and ride quality and you pay a premium for them (just don't get a flat).
Thanks for your answer. Do you think the previous statements saying that square set is incompatible with the z4 are something to worry? I really like to have the car in a perfect way. If I need to replace to the previous wheels again, I will do it. Thanks for you help
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #40
sustrafics
Private
Rep

After thinking a bit, I have decided to go back to my 293 wheels. Maybe I will sell or trade the set of 351M wheels and buy the original set of 326M. Do you know someone interested in a trade or another kind of deal?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #41
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Hey! I have finally replaced the tyres for new ones with the OEM measures and everything is solved. I have the car back! It does not sway anymore and its behaviour is completely different. I have changed to 225/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear bridgestone potenza Rft. It is hard, but it is finally not having that strange behaviour...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:49 AM   #42
raven333
Private First Class
Rep

Really pleased you got it sorted, nothing worse than driving a car that feels unsettled on the road. It seems that my comments proved correct in this instance, but I am sure someone will argue differently. The main thing is you are now happy with your car!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #43
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey! I have finally replaced the tyres for new ones with the OEM measures and everything is solved. I have the car back! It does not sway anymore and its behaviour is completely different. I have changed to 225/35/19 front and 255/30/19 rear bridgestone potenza Rft. It is hard, but it is finally not having that strange behaviour...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #44
Gpwheels
Private
Rep

Glad to hear it's fixed. If the ride is too harsh, next time you change your tires, go with non-RFTs in the same size. Probably better just to drive it for a while and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0