New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ44me View Post
Was the road noise reduced significantly and did you feel less bumpiness through the suspension too?
It was quieter and handled better. It dosent seem to trammel anymore, but road bumpiness was reduced, but its still there. I think thats mostly suspension. The suspension on these cars have very little room to travel so you feel the bumpiness of the road a lot more than in a sedan or SUV. There are some very bumpy potholed roads here and I feel it. On good pavment, it runs pretty smooth. All that is subjective of course

I am sure there is a balance and if you went to a straight non RFT tire, it might handle better. No way to tell unless you try both.

I am willing to balance. When I went to non RFTs with my 2003 Z4, I carried a spare, because thats the way I am. Took up the whole trunk. Not sure that would even fit here, but I like having the trunk. I do think these tires run fine and are a big improvment over the RFT's that came stock, but then again you might not.
      10-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
It was quieter and handled better. It dosent seem to trammel anymore, but road bumpiness was reduced, but its still there. I think thats mostly suspension. The suspension on these cars have very little room to travel so you feel the bumpiness of the road a lot more than in a sedan or SUV. There are some very bumpy potholed roads here and I feel it. On good pavment, it runs pretty smooth. All that is subjective of course

I am sure there is a balance and if you went to a straight non RFT tire, it might handle better. No way to tell unless you try both.

I am willing to balance. When I went to non RFTs with my 2003 Z4, I carried a spare, because thats the way I am. Took up the whole trunk. Not sure that would even fit here, but I like having the trunk. I do think these tires run fine and are a big improvment over the RFT's that came stock, but then again you might not.
Thanks, it certainly sounds like an improvement and at least an option to just going to straight non-RFT. I will give them a try, as I do like what little trunk space we have.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I have the 3rd generation RFTs on my X3 35i. They are good and much better than previous versions. My only complaint is not the handling, as it is excellent, it is the tread life and cost. The tires cost a fortune and they last 20k or less on an X3.
Appreciate 0