New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you have BMW Style Wheels (leave a post)
Do you have Style 296 Wheels on your car? 31 86.11%
Do you still run on RFT? 26 72.22%
Have you experienced wheel cracks? 9 25.00%
Do you inspect your wheels for cracks? 18 50.00%
How many miles on your car 5,000 Miles + 16 44.44%
How many miles on your car 10,000 Miles + 11 30.56%
How many miles on your car 20,000 Miles + 4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

05-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #45
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I have to agree with marcw & alan, been going on far too long with no new info about the broken wheels.

If there was some new info from bmw perhaps (re: coverage, refund etc), or some concrete evidence of the cause, then perhaps it would be worthwhile posting something, but until then....
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #46
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Oh boy... struck a nerve there didn't we? I'm a German/American and let me tell you this right from the get go. I have been in your shoes. I've also had the very unpleasant experience to have been stuck in east bumf&*ck USA with two busted wheels and no other option than a $650 tow. So don't even start that kinda bologna with me. Yet, you don't see me posting about this incident EVERY chance I get and make continued reference to it in every thread that even remotely has anything to do with wheels. I agree with Alan that your continued rants about your wheels are becoming tiresome. I understand that you are mad about BMW and the way you were treated and that the whole story has left a bitter taste in your mouth and all that. But if the only thing you can contribute to the E89 board is continued rants about your wheel story that every member has read 500 times already, then please do all of us a favor and stick to the M3 forum. Life is too short to keep harping about one bad experience. Enjoy your M3 and move on. Please. For all of our sakes.

Best regards,
-MarcW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Geez, I haven't gotten back in nearly one year and I still read the same rant about these wheels from Rolf... I remember feeling that it was getting old to read about this misadventure a few months ago but now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
I have to agree with marcw & alan, been going on far too long with no new info about the broken wheels. If there was some new info from bmw perhaps (re: coverage, refund etc), or some concrete evidence of the cause, then perhaps it would be worthwhile posting something, but until then....

No worries fellows, I will never ever post in this Z4 forum again, I’ve done my part. I was under the impression that this is a forum where we help one another. My intention was primarily to alert you fellows of the issue at hand so that you may not end up in the same situation. As it turns out we have wise men here that are of a different frame of mind.

So I wish you all well and many happy driving days without cracked wheels. The three of you above simply do not deserve any more of my time so let it be … so long.

Moderator ... you can close this thread now ... it seams no one likes to hear about cracked wheels anymore ... Thanks for the use of your excellent forum.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #47
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

I thought this thread was all fresh stories about 296 cracks. It's the same story lol.

If someone is smart enough to find this place I'm sure they'll be able to educate themselves about the issue at hand without your help.

Lets just get back on track and stick with people who currently are driving Z4s w/ 296s.
      05-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #48
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I cant PM you Rolf, so I'll say it on the open mike.

I dont think anyone wants you off the forum. I certainly want you to stay and to continue to contribute.

When I read their posts from above I think they are really just asking for less posts on how badly you were treated by BMW dealers and BMW NA on the 296 wheel issues, and more from your wider BMW and life experience.

The continued focus by yourself and others has really helped bring the 296 wheel cracking issue to the front of our consciousness, and through the sticky posts, will hopefully serve to warn other buyers who may choose this wheel option or need help when/if their wheels crack.
It will also be a forum focus point for new updates if it becomes a recall or recognised warranty issue.

You have proven over the year I have been on line to be a wealth of opinion and knowledge on the E89 and BMW ownership, and I would hate to loose all of that just because some people are communicating that their tolerance is exceeded for your recent focus on this one (albeit important) issue.

I hope you choose to stay, and that you can find it in you continue to share with us across your wider experiences with the BMW brand.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #49
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

No one is saying you should leave the forum Rolf, or not post any new info. Hope you stay on.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #50
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Oh boy... struck a nerve there didn't we? I'm a German/American and let me tell you this right from the get go. I have been in your shoes. I've also had the very unpleasant experience to have been stuck in east bumf&*ck USA with two busted wheels and no other option than a $650 tow. So don't even start that kinda bologna with me. Yet, you don't see me posting about this incident EVERY chance I get and make continued reference to it in every thread that even remotely has anything to do with wheels. I agree with Alan that your continued rants about your wheels are becoming tiresome. I understand that you are mad about BMW and the way you were treated and that the whole story has left a bitter taste in your mouth and all that. But if the only thing you can contribute to the E89 board is continued rants about your wheel story that every member has read 500 times already, then please do all of us a favor and stick to the M3 forum. Life is too short to keep harping about one bad experience. Enjoy your M3 and move on. Please. For all of our sakes.

Best regards,
-MarcW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
No one is saying you should leave the forum Rolf, or not post any new info. Hope you stay on.
I know...let's create a poll!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #51
evangelos
Z4 (E89) sDrive 35i
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35i & Z3 1.8

I do have the 296 19'' on the e89 35i, such a headache, I even bought a 5th wheel to have it standby for substitute when the others broken... in 2 years time they cracked more than 12 times and repaired all. Last month I bought same rft tyres, again repaired all 5 wheels and 2 days ago I was left stranded by another crack at some mountain resort area. That was it! The car was moved by truck to the dealer in Athens (Greece). Tommorow I am ordering either the 276 or the 325m 18'' with non-rft tyres (at big discount) and hope I get rid of this mess...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #52
RajV
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Z4 296 rims

I have followed the posts about this rim.
Just had a rear tire replaced due to a crack. The dealer is not willing to cover the cost on my Z4 that is still under warranty. I didn't have the foresight to buy the road hazard warranty. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #53
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi ! I have read this thread all the way through and consider Rolf's input to be excellent! I don't have 296 wheels but 326's with Bridgestone runflats.
Prior to this I had a 6 series with ellipsoid wheels which was part of a class action suit in the States for guess what 'cracked rims'. They also cracked predominately on the inner side and BMW only replaced the wheel on a car was within warranty. Outside of this you just went and whistled. You will find loads of these rims on Ebay as people either ditched them or like me bought spares just in case. One major change with these wheels was that people went away from runflats and this proved to be the right way to deal with the issue.
The essence of these forums is also to help people making decisions to buy their car, and reading the data about the 296 wheels will deter anyone from having them.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #54
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I've just had another wheel go... this time on the front after having the two rears replaced six months ago. FOC within warranty but it really does shake your confidence. Interestingly the new front wheel was not redesigned like the rears appear to have been.

I'm still fighting BMW for something in relation to all this... nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #55
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

I am in a similar situation and as the BMW dealer’s MOT tester failed my car’s MOT on a cracked wheel because he considered it dangerous I have asked BMW what they intend to do about the other 3 potentially dangerous wheels. No surprise that I have had no reply yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #56
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Can I update my vote?
Count one extra cracked 296 for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #57
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven333 View Post
Hi ! I have read this thread all the way through and consider Rolf's input to be excellent! I don't have 296 wheels but 326's with Bridgestone runflats.
Prior to this I had a 6 series with ellipsoid wheels which was part of a class action suit in the States for guess what 'cracked rims'. They also cracked predominately on the inner side and BMW only replaced the wheel on a car was within warranty. Outside of this you just went and whistled. You will find loads of these rims on Ebay as people either ditched them or like me bought spares just in case. One major change with these wheels was that people went away from runflats and this proved to be the right way to deal with the issue.
The essence of these forums is also to help people making decisions to buy their car, and reading the data about the 296 wheels will deter anyone from having them.
Thanks for your support, thrust me I shared my thoughts in this forum to alert others of the danger and inconvenience with the 296 wheels. My input is mainly based upon many years in the engineering field. In the end it's all about logical thinking and trouble shooting, after all that is what mechanical engineering is all about. Anyone that looks at the facts of the 296 wheel issue will come to the same conclusion as I have, namely the key factors of probable case being:-

A) the 2.5 negative camber on rear wheels.
B) the run flat tires
C) the unbalanced weight distribution at the rear (with the roof in the trunk and some additional luggage when one travels.
D) the importance of maintaining air pressure in the tires.

Further, one very seldom hears of front 296 wheels cracking.. BMW will always try to tell you it is due to going thru potholes, strange that only the rear cracked and not the front wheel.

Then if one thinks about the abuse the soft alloy wheel is exposed to over time under the afore mentioned conditions it stands to reason that while going thru small potholes and uneven road surface conditions that the induced stresses will eventually surface as hairline cracks and then open up resulting in a flat tire.

I know there are a few Z4 members that do not agree with my analysis and I don't really care. In my case I simply got back into a M3 rather then changing wheels and tires. I had my fun and frustrations during a cross country trip in the Z4 it is a super car only on the selection of the 296 wheels and RFT did the learned fellows at BBW screwed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I've just had another wheel go... this time on the front after having the two rears replaced six months ago. FOC within warranty but it really does shake your confidence. Interestingly the new front wheel was not redesigned like the rears appear to have been.

I'm still fighting BMW for something in relation to all this... nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Can I update my vote?
Count one extra cracked 296 for me.
Sorry to hear that you both lost another wheel, unfortunately you cannot update your vote the software does not allow it. Posting the update here should suffice to inform fellow members.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #58
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
Looks like its time for a new poll as there are 5 or 6 new posts regarding this.
Soon to be including me.
Appreciate 0