New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

06-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

DTM Stop 3: Norisring [June 26-28 2015]

New week, time for some new races and new posts!
First will be a morning dose of DTM hot and fresh out the kitchen!

After a month break, the DTM heads to the legendary Norisring for Stop # 3 on the calendar which means rounds 5&6. First up some details on the event and then a BMW news release.

USA Broadcast: CBS Sports Network - 12:00 PM - 6/28/15

Opened May 18th 1947
Track length 2,300 km
Lap record Bruno Spengler (Mercedes-Benz) 48,446 Sek. (29. Juni) 2008

It is the undisputed highlight on the DTM calendar: the Norisring. The spectacular street circuit – incidentally the last surviving racetrack of its kind, in Germany – is popular with drivers and fans in equal measure and winning here counts slightly more than winning elsewhere. With its length of just 2.3 kilometres all around the stone grandstands, the circuit also is the shortest on the DTM calendar.

On the streets of Nürnberg.
After a four-week break from racing, the four BMW teams head back to the track in the DTM on 27th and 28th June: At the legendary Norisring on the streets of Nürnberg, the only street race of 2015 awaits BMW Motorsport.

BMW Motorsport June 22 2015

The DTM event around the Dutzendteich with its unique atmosphere captivates fans and drivers alike. However, there is one driver in the BMW Motorsport squad who is particularly looking forward to races five and six of the season: Marco Wittmann, the reigning DTM Champion, lives just a few kilometres away from the track in Fürth. This makes the event at the Norisring a real home race for Wittmann.

So it comes as no surprise that the BMW Team RMG driver's calendar has been fully booked over the past few weeks – and mainly with meetings in his Franconian home. However, Wittmann travels to Austria this week for a very special highlight, before fighting for points at the Norisring. On Wednesday he will take part in a Formula 1 test in the Scuderia Toro Rosso at the "Red Bull Ring" in Spielberg, which BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardtsurprised him with at last year's season finale in Hockenheim as a special reward for winning the 2014 DTM title.

Glock headed straight to Le Castellet from there, where he contested his first joint race with Alessandro Zanardi and Bruno Spengler in the BMW Z4 GT3. The trio are currently preparing for their start in the 24-hour race in Spa-Francorchamps on 25th/26th July. Maxime Martin was another BMW DTM driver in action at the "Circuit Paul Ricard" in addition to Glock and Spengler – and he had reason to celebrate: Alongside Markus Palttala and BMW Motorsport works driver Lucas Luhr, Maxime Martin finished in third place for BMW Sports Trophy Team Marc VDS and made it onto the podium after the six-hour race.

Now all of the BMW DTM drivers will meet again at the Norisring, ready to take a step forward after two difficult weekends in Hockenheim and at the Lausitzring. BMW has celebrated five wins and 15 podium finishes in Nuremberg to date. However, the street circuit, which is made suitable for racing by volunteers every year and also includes public roads, proved to be difficult ground for BMW Motorsport last season. On a track that started off wet and went on to dry out later on, only two BMW drivers made it into the top ten. Local hero Wittmann in the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM finished sixth, making him the top BMW representative.

THE FIGHT FOR EVERY MILLIMETRE – DTM AT THE NORISRING

Is it still possible to stop Audi ace Jamie Green? This question will be answered from 26th to 28th June when DTM contests its third race weekend of the 2015 season in Nuremberg. For many drivers and fans, the race meeting at the Norisring represents the season highlight. The just 2.3-kilometre short street circuit around the big stone grandstands on the ‘Zeppelinfeld’ provides the spectators maximum entertainment and forces the drivers to take themselves and their cars to their very limit. They are fighting for every millimetre of tarmac and so, enthralling race action is guaranteed. And due to the multifaceted top-class support programme, the visitors also will be thrilled when the DTM cars aren’t in action.

http://www.dtm.com/en/news/fight-eve...language=en-gb

Standings so far, at 4 round:

1. Jamie Green - Audi - 75 points
2. Mattias Ekstrom - Audi - 58 points
3. Edoard Mortara - Audi - 58 points
4. Pascal Wehrlein - MBZ - 32 points
5. Miguel Molina - Audi - 27 points
6. Mike Rockenfeller - Audi - 21 points
7. Timo Scheider - Audi - 16 points
8. Maxime Martin - BMW - 16 points
9. Paul di Resta - MBZ - 15 points
10. Gary Paffett - MBZ - 15 points
11. Robert Wickens - MBZ - 14 points
12. Martin Tomczyk - BMW - 12 points
13. Marco Wittman - BMW - 12 points
14. Nico Muller - Audi - 10 points
15. Daniel Juncadella - MBZ - 9 points
16. Christian Vietoris - MBZ - 6 points
17. Timo Glock - BMW - 5 points
18. Bruno Spengler - 2 points
19. Augusto Fargus - 1 points
20. Antonio Felix da Costa - BMW - 0 points
21. Maximilia Gotz - MBZ - - 0 points
22. Adrien Tambay - Audi - 0 points
23. Tom Blomqvist - BMW - 0 points
24. Luca Auer - MBZ - 0 points

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-22-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I've heard people request representation in these DTM threads for the other marques as well. I do my best to include news not just the photos so, to those of you wanting Audi and Mercedes news, here you go:

‘Heavy’ task for Audi at the Norisring

• ‘Home round’ for the four rings at the Norisring in Nuremberg
  • Audi unbeaten in the DTM in nine months
  • Additional weights for the Audi drivers due to successes

The ‘home round’ for the four rings at the Norisring is linked with an aim that will only be achievable with a ‘heavy’ effort. In Nuremberg – only some 90 kilometers away from the headquarters in Ingolstadt – the Audi squad is set on continuing its winning streak in the DTM and clinching its seventh consecutive triumph on June 27 and 28.

Audi has not been beaten in the internationally popular touring car racing series in nine months. The two Audi drivers Mattias Ekström (S) and Jamie Green (GB) have each won three of the last six DTM races for Audi. Now there is an event on the calendar that suits both of them particularly well: the Norisring. The leader of the drivers’ standings, Jamie Green, has already celebrated four victories in Nuremberg and finished as the runner-up last year. Mattias Ekström has frequently been on podium at the Norisring and in 2013 crossed the finish line in his Red Bull Audi RS 5 DTM in first place, but was retroactively taken out of the classification.

“I’ve had some unfinished business in Nuremberg ever since,” says the two-time DTM Champion, who did tests with the Audi RS 5 DTM at the Lausitzring last week. “There’s no doubt about it: I’d finally like to win at the Norisring. It’s cool that this year we even have two opportunities and that the many Audi fans are already treated to a DTM race on Saturday – plus another one on Sunday. With the retro livery of my Red Bull Audi RS 5 DTM, victory can be the only aim anyhow.” On the occasion of the victory clinched in Audi’s debut at the Norisring 25 years ago, Ekström will be racing in the colors of the 1990 Audi V8 quattro in Nuremberg.

Jamie Green can hardly wait to be sitting at the wheel of his Hoffmann Group Audi RS 5 DTM and defending his lead of the standings as well. “With three victories in the first four races, I managed a dream start to the season,” says the Briton. “Now, the Norisring, one of my favorite tracks that I’ve always been able to handle particularly well, is coming up. Obviously, it’s not going to be easy for us because we have to start with a lot of additional weight. But the RS 5 DTM fits my driving style so perfectly this year that we should be in contention for victory in spite of this.”

Due to the success in the first four races of the current season the eight Audi RS 5 DTM cars will have additional weight on board at the Norisring, as required by the regulations. As a result, Audi will have the heaviest cars in the field. The race cars of Mike Rockenfeller and Edoardo Mortara, each tipping the scales at 1,140 kilograms – 35 kilograms more than the lightest cars of the competition – will have the highest weight.

“Of course, having to start with so much additional weight in our home race at the Norisring of all places hurts us, but that’s the way the regulations in the DTM are,” says Dieter Gass, Head of DTM at Audi Sport. “We won’t be the favorites at the Norisring to be sure. We’re going to leave no stone unturned to deliver a tremendous show to the traditionally large crowd of Audi fans in Nuremberg.”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-22-2015 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Broadcast, adding to OP:

CBS Sports Network:
12:00 PM - 6/28/15
DTM RACING: NORISRING
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

" What is certain at the Norisring is that nothing"

Audi is the benchmark for four DTM races. Above all, the Briton Jamie Green, who already took three wins for Team Rosberg and the driver standings leads. 25 years have passed since gave Hans-Joachim Stuck the Ingolstadt based at the Norisring the first DTM victory. We can look to the DTM legend back to the year 1990 and asked him for his assessment of the race weekend in Nuremberg between 26 and 28 June.

read it at DTM.com
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

THE FORMULA VEE RETURNS TO THE NORISRING

It was the largest international junior racing series in formula racing: the Formula Vee. In 1965, she appeared for the first time in Germany - at the Norisring. 50 years on, the ancestors of current junior series such as Formula 3, curves generated by Grundig hairpin, Schöller-S and Dutzendteich hairpin. Around 50 vehicles will be of 26 the 73rd International ADAC Norisring Speed ​​Weekend turn demonstration laps until 28 June. This retrospect one of the highlights of the supporting program of the DTM race weekend might represent for the fans.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This was a recent day at Norisring where Audi was celebrating their debut DTM win from 1990 with a throwback livery

Last edited by 954Stealth; 06-22-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

racer.com

Two-time DTM champion Mattias Ekstrom will run a retro works Audi livery at the Norisring round this month. The Swedish driver will switch from his usual Red Bull colors to the white, red, gray and black colors made famous by Audi Sport in the 1980s and 1990s.

The livery is to commemorate Hans Stuck's victory at the Nuremberg street circuit 25 years ago, when he won for Audi at the wheel of the V8 Quattro.
"In the early 90s, I was sitting in front of my TV watching the DTM – drivers like Stuck and [Walter] Rohrl, they were my heroes," said Ekstrom. "Seeing my Audi RS 5 and the V8 Quattro from those days standing side by side with the same graphics is very special for me.

"The Norisring is Audi's home race, and I've been trying to win it for 15 years. Once I even made it but wasn't allowed to keep the trophy. It's one of the races I want to win at all costs. Obviously it would be great if it worked out on the 25th anniversary with this cool retro livery car."

Head of Audi motorsport Wolfgang Ullrich added: "This special feature is meant as a token of our appreciation of the many loyal fans that kept their fingers crossed for us in the DTM as far back as 25 years ago. I still have fond memories of the many red Audi caps in the grandstands, especially at the Norisring."

Audi has invited several of its former drivers to attend the Norisring race to celebrate the anniversary, and Stuck will perform some demonstration laps in the 1990 car

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok, this article I am trying to translate to make sense

No hope for BMW?
The BMW-balance in 2015 looks bleak. At the Norisring, it should be better. But there is not much cause for hope

Benedict Rammer June 23 2015

The season opener at Hockenheim was difficult for BMW. Also in the Lausitz things did not get better. On the contrary, the team was undercutting the power from the Hockenheimring race even. Maxime Martin was seven and eight still the most successful BMW driver with the squares. Now it comes to the Norisring. The track was tradition in recent years, not necessarily the best hunting ground for BMW. Can the Munich initiate the turnaround but precisely there?

The teams: BMW Team Schnitzer and BMW Team RMG were the BMW colors still reasonably uphold the season opener at Hockenheim. After all, it managed to Martin Tomczyk and Marco Wittman in Race 2 on the fourth and fifth. At the Lausitzring, the BMW team lead then a total of only ten meager points. So now it comes to the Norsring. There, the Munich do traditionally more difficult.

The driver: "Overall, this was a disappointing weekend for BMW perspective, the fact that I was in two rounds of the best BMW driver, the only positive thing I can take.." Although Maxime Martin was within the team's number one in the Lausitz, he concluded not just was positive. However, the Belgians could properly refuel confidence in the Blancpain GT Series last weekend. For the BMW Sports Trophy Team Marc VDS he reached the third place was for the six-hour race on the podium.

"It motivates me when so many fans, my family, relatives and friends are on site to assist me. That gives me an extra boost" -- Marco Wittmann

Defending champion Marco Wittmann would always especially on the streets of Nuremberg. The 25-year-old lives in Fürth - and it has thus far not to track. "It motivates me when so many fans, my family, relatives and friends are on site to assist me. It gives me an extra boost. It's just fun to drive at the Norisring." Last year, Wittmann drove across the finish line in sixth place and was disappointed afterwards. This year would be the sixth place probably satisfy him considerably more.

Veteran Timo Glock left after Lausitz fiasco his frustration freely. "We can not really improve our car. It can not do anything because the regulations are frozen. So it is difficult to come forward this year. Regulations are regulations. Quite simply," Glock explained almost resignedly. His words in advance of the weekend, the BMW fans certainly not courage: "The Norisring is in terms of atmosphere always a highlight and one of the most beautiful events of the year, however, it is for us may again a very difficult weekend.."

"We can not really improve our car. It can do nothing, because the regulations are frozen. So it is difficult to come this year forward". -- Timo Glock

The car: In the last two races had BMW not to the necessary Pace exist. Timo Glock criticizes the fact that especially the performance in qualifying was too weak. The performance of the Hankook tires could last to be desired. BMW comes with the standard tires simply not as good as clear class leader Audi. So Glock was at the Lausitzring in warm-up on used tires as quickly as the road then in qualifying with new tires. One explanation was not ready BMW

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

A day at a DTM office with Antonio Felix da Costa
The BMW Team Schnitzer driver lets us into his world for a special insight.

June 24 2015 by Toni Borner

There’s probably a lot more to DTM than you may think.

Sure there are tens of thousands of fans to entertain,
some serious driving skills to pull out, and much more,
so to give you a real inside line we shadowed Antonio Felix da Costa
for a day at the races to see what it’s really all about.

Early start for a 9.15am warm up

“This year it’s a bit different, as we have a qualifying session and a race on the same day. On Sunday it all starts very early. We have the warm up at 9.15am so you need to get up early and get something in your stomach, and then obviously prepare for the day with your engineers.

"There is a lot to go through after the Saturday. So in the warm up we collect some data for a different set-up and then we move into the qualifying.”

Antonio’s personal warm up programme before every session is intense: boxing, kick-boxing, rope-skipping and some gymnastics in the team’s pit box.

Time to get in the zone

Antonio takes his balaclava, helmet and the HANS on his head and neck and heads towards his car, a BMW M4 DTM. After he takes his seat Ulf Hiekel is responsible for fastening the seatbelt and securing the driver. Antonio only has his gloves left to put on before the engines are started and the tyres are fitted.

“After the qualifying we sit together with the engineers and the two drivers of the team and see what we could have done better, what was good and what was bad.

"After that we grab a quick lunch because there is only an hour-and-a-half between the qualifying and the race."

A little bit of down time

Antonio sits next to his personal trainer and Marco Wittmann, also joining the table are team-mate Martin Tomczyk, Bruno Spengler and Tom Blomqvist, whom da Costa already raced at Macao.

They are talking fuel, watching race action videos and sharing opinions. “Would you do the Indy 500” – one asks the other. “Not for half a million euros, no way!” – “No? I would do it for free!”

The talk moves onto 24-hour races while they eat, before Antonio takes part in one of up to 10 autograph sessions throughout the weekend.

Time to race

Just before the race the whole team sits together and discusses the strategy for the race because on Sundays we have the pit stops.
“If I start the race in front of Martin [Tomczyk] I normally have the priority on the lap that I want to stop. Therefore we define our strategies.”

But it’s never over, and after the race the focus quickly switches to the next one.

“After that the weekend is done but the hard work starts again to review all the weekend, because there is always a lot to improve, everyone wants to get better and quicker.”
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DMSB is continuing with a new rule this weekend: Slow zones instead of a Safety Car

How the Slow Zones

The principle of Slow Zones is very similar to Virtual Safety Car (VSC) in the formula 1, which so far only barely noticeable was used at the Grand Prix of Monaco. Under Slow Zones but you do not understand a speed limit for the whole course, but for defined areas of the race track, where applicable a specific speed limit for all drivers as a result of an incident. In the DTM that is usually 80 km / h - the race director will be given some room for maneuver. DRS and overtaking is prohibited.

The system works similarly to the arrangements for entrance to the pit lane. By means of a speed limiter must the driver immediately take out gas once they reach a displayed Slow Zone. Who is too fast, risking at least a drive-through penalty. Various means to warn the driver in good time before an active Slow Zone, including indications on the display in the car and yellow light and flag signals in question stretch. The same applies to the end of such a phase. A yellow line marked on the track is also clearly visible, where a Slow Zone begins.

Racing action and fairness by Slow Zones

The Slow Zones are one in certain situations provide, better, alternative to a regular safety car phase. The safety car is therefore not completely abolished, and in more severe accidents will still observe. For minor incidents Slow Zones should however ensure more racing action and fairness.

Racing action: The Slow Zones not slow down the cars as described under Safety Car along the entire route, but only in the relevant stretch. On the rest of the course at full throttle are still popular and duels allowed. "It all depends on what can be done and I do believe that the Slow Zones are the most sense," said BMW driver Martin Tomczyk to Motorsport-Magazin.com. As a Safety Car does not apply even during a phase with slow zone a mandatory tire change as such. Exceptions: A is already behind the first safety car line or in the pit lane when a Slow Zone is activated.

Of collision by Slow Zones?

The formula 1 had rejected an identical system and instead set to the VSC; Some pilots had assessed the danger of a collision to be too high when suddenly the car in front brakes abruptly. "The problem is that you have to brake sharply if a zone begins while the car behind you is not have to slow down", also Audi driver Miguel Molina warned in Hockenheim. "So you can potentially be taken, if you reduce the speed."

The DTM therefore relies on good communication: "The sectors are discussed with the drivers," said Manuel Reuter in an interview with Motorsport-Magazin.com. The former DTM driver assured us Hockenheim, the zones would still make sense chosen so that they would start where the drivers have to go through the route of the gas anyway. "So in braking zones, as shortly before the apex of a curve rather than on straights, where 250 km / h are driven," said Reuter.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Setup is underway

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DTM Grid Girls ask;

"I'm at the Norisring ... are you?"

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Training, Top 11 times:

1. Gary Paffett ART Grand Prix Mercedes 48.553

2. Paul Di Resta HWA AG Mercedes 48.579 + 0.026

3. Bruno Spengler BMW Team MTEK BMW 48.585 + 0.032

4. Daniel Juncadella Mücke Motorsport Mercedes 48.587 + 0.034

5. Jamie Green Audi Sport Team Rosberg Audi 48.598+ 0.045

6. Adrien Tambay Audi Sport Team Abt Audi 48.609 + 0.056

7. Robert Wickens HWA AG Mercedes 48.681 + 0.128

8. Maxime Martin BMW Team RMG BMW 48.692 + 0.139

9. Augusto Farfus BMW Team RBM BMW 48.739 + 0.186

10 Marco Wittmann BMW Team RMG BMW 48.741 + 0.188

11. Timo Scheider Audi Sport Team Phoenix Audi 48.766 + 0.213
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Did anyone else notice BMW finally up near the top? I did!! Thanks Bruno

BMW Motorsport Division also noticed. Here's what they had to say:

Spengler starts Norisring weekend with P3.
Bruno Spengler finished the first practice session of the DTM weekend at the Norisring in third position. He clocked a personal best lap time in his BMW Bank M4 DTM of von 48.585 seconds and was only 0.032 seconds behind the best time of the session set by Gary Paffett.

Behind Spengler, three more BMW drivers finished the session on the 2.3 kilometre street circuit within the top ten. Maxime Martin, Augusto Farfus and Marco Wittmann were eighth, ninth and tenth respectively.
Timo Glock was 16th in the DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM, Martin Tomczyk, Tom Blomqvist and António Félix da Costa finished 22nd, 23rd and 24th respectively.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #21
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Official results
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Rain in Nürnberg.
The BMW DTM drivers completed the second free practice session at the Norisring on a wet track. Timo Glock coped best with the conditions, setting the third fastest time.

BMW Motorsport June 27 2015

A very tight street circuit – combined with slippery conditions: the Norisring was a real challenge on Saturday morning. However, this did not prevent the BMW drivers from getting plenty of laps under their belts and working on finding the ideal set-up for the BMW M4 DTM for these conditions. Glock was the fastest of the BMW driver. He set a lap time of 55.108 seconds in his DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM to finish third. P1 went to Mercedes driver Robert Wickens (54.933 seconds).

The positions of the other BMW drivers: 6th Martin Tomczyk, 9th Augusto Farfus, 15th Maxime Martin, 16th Bruno Spengler, 17th Tom Blomqvist, 20th Marco Wittmann, 21st António Félix da Costa.

The first qualifying session at the Norisring gets underway at 13:25 this afternoon.
Appreciate 0