New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #23
MikeChrista
Private
Rep
Drives: SDRIVE35i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
No documentation I'm afraid, I'll ask them tomorrow if they can give me the code for the update. You might want to check out the m3 forums for DCT LAG as that's how I discovered the update, that might have the detail you need.
Thanks for that - any additional info will be very useful.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
Zcoupe
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 steptronic

Hello you all,

My car is a 2.5 Sdrive and I notice also that lag response (no turbo on my E89).
When cruising it takes 2 seconds before the engine gives any trottle response. For me the problem is more likely related to the engine CPU programming, this fenominem is not there in S drive.
Concerning the steptronic gearbox, this one is more likely programmed for a diesel engine in D drive, the S gear is to agressif for a dynamic driving.

In my opinion BMW as some work to do here, yes i'm not at all happy with my car.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I think people may be confusing turbo lag and normal auto response in my thread with the actual issue I'm dealing with.. The DCT is an entirely different technology to the normal auto and the lag is nothing to do with the engine/turbo or otherwise

This is very specific to a logic issue with the dual clutch transmission programming which BMW believe is resolved with the software update.

The issue surrounds only 2nd gear acceleration having first accelerated from a standstill, coasted, then accelerated (or not as this is the fault).

The issue is not present in any other circumstance, normal ascent or descent through gears is still blisteringly quick, however in the scenario above, acceleration is denied by the transmission for some reason, and the scenario has to be exact. Check out the m3 forums and YouTube for m3 DCT issues.

I think this is more prevalent for me because I do a lot of stop start driving making the scenario more frequent.

Hopefully few others will experience this as it's quite scary when you pull into traffic only to have acceleration denied to you for a number of seconds.

Fingers X'd, now it's been updated, it's an issue no more!

Last edited by ManiacGT; 03-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.. Reason: Bad syntax!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I hear you ManiacGT,

I also have had that scary pause in take off, although not often or reproducable (thank [insert deity of your choice]).

I just put it down to the computers arguing with eachother. There are so bloody many of them in this car they will have to argue at some stage.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #27
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I think people may be confusing turbo lag and normal auto response in my thread with the actual issue I'm dealing with.. The DCT is an entirely different technology to the normal auto and the lag is nothing to do with the engine/turbo or otherwise

This is very specific to a logic issue with the dual clutch transmission programming which BMW believe is resolved with the software update.

The issue surrounds only 2nd gear acceleration having first accelerated from a standstill, coasted, then accelerated (or not as this is the fault).

The issue is not present in any other circumstance, normal ascent or descent through gears is still blisteringly quick, however in the scenario above, acceleration is denied by the transmission for some reason, and the scenario has to be exact. Check out the m3 forums and YouTube for m3 DCT issues.

I think this is more prevalent for me because I do a lot of stop start driving making the scenario more frequent.

Hopefully few others will experience this as it's quite scary when you pull into traffic only to have acceleration denied to you for a number of seconds.

Fingers X'd, now it's been updated, it's an issue no more!
Hi Maniac....what happened?
Did software update worK?

I've been off the forum for months and months and only revisited in last two days. As I was reading this thread I was going to suggest exactly that - a software update.....

I have just had just this done.........
AND
HOLY SMOKE what a difference.....the car now drives like it's got another 50 BHP....
AND...
MORE IMPORTANTLY...
DCT is MUCH, MUCH smoother, no intermediate trailing-throttle lag whatsoever.......
Appreciate 0