New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
MikaZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Z4 35i after software update...

Howdy folks, first time posting here, though I've lurked around for a while. I did some searching to see if anyone had run into what I'm about to describe, though without much luck.

I recently took my 2011 35i (w/ M Sport Package) back to the dealer for its first service. I purchased it almost a year ago. To my surprise, they told me that the only required maintenance at the moment was a software update, so I agreed to leave it with them for the day.

I picked it up the following day, and everything about the car felt radically different, from the throttle response to the steering, in all modes (normal/sport/sport+). Overall it feels much "tighter" for lack of a better word, and in general I'm liking it. However the steering at very low speed (such as when parking) is actually kind of annoying now. There's a huge amount of resistance, I'd say it takes 2-3 times the force it used to require to turn the wheel. While this added rigidity is a welcome change at freeway speeds, it's a little obnoxious while delicately maneuvering into my tiny garage.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone here had any thoughts on the matter. Is this to be expected from this software update? Was an error of some sort made? Was my car's previously soft, effortless low speed steering messed up in the first place, and now it's "normal"? I'm taking it back to the dealer soon to get an explanation, but I was hoping the internet could offer some insight into what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
overtime cars cpu learns your driving style and adjusts
this could have been a reset of all the settings so its back to how you originally got it.

on the other hand, these updates do wonders for throttle response and tranny smoothness, had that on my X5 and felt a big difference

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

You are entitle to an oil change that is covered under the maintenance plan, at the 12 month point of ownership, regardless of whether you hit the appropriate mileage mark.

Same at the 24 month mark. I'm taking mine in by month end for it's 24 month oil change.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
You are entitle to an oil change that is covered under the maintenance plan, at the 12 month point of ownership, regardless of whether you hit the appropriate mileage mark.

Same at the 24 month mark. I'm taking mine in by month end for it's 24 month oil change.
Correct. The "low mileage special". Ask for it.

Weird about the software update, I agree that part of it may just be the car "relearning" after being shut down. I had my car reprogrammed recently as part of the HPFP recall and it feels just like before.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
MikaZ
Registered
Rep

Regarding the oil change, they weren't trying to pull a fast one or anything. It just hadn't been a full 12 months yet, so they couldn't do it for free (yet) and told me to come back with it in August.

I brought it back in for a bit today and had a tech take a close look at it. He agreed that it felt very rigid compared to the Z's he was used to, and that something was not right, but wasn't sure why the software update would have done such a thing. For comparison's sake, I asked to test out another Z they had on the lot, and its steering felt much smoother... so its definitely not my imagination.

Hopefully it is just a matter of the car "relearning" a bit, we'll see. I'm gonna have them investigate the problem when I bring it in for oil next month.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i & 2010 M3

Would be funny if they flashed your Z with a Z4 35is flash by accident. The steering values are a bit firmer for that version. The power steering is electric so it is changable with flashing I would think.

JZ
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Zone View Post
Would be funny if they flashed your Z with a Z4 35is flash by accident. The steering values are a bit firmer for that version. The power steering is electric so it is changable with flashing I would think.

JZ
Odd thing is my E89 23i had heavy steering in normal mode but my 35is has really light steering in normal mode.

That much of a difference infact I asked if my 23i had been faulty. The lighter steering in normal mode is much better especially for me as I have a problem with my right arm.

I'd get back to them to have this put right. Please let us know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
MikaZ
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Zone View Post
That had crossed my mind, however the tech I spoke to assured me that no human error is possible since they essentially just plug a box into the car which decides what software you get.

I'll report back if/when I get a resolution to this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaZ View Post
That had crossed my mind, however the tech I spoke to assured me that no human error is possible since they essentially just plug a box into the car which decides what software you get.

I'll report back if/when I get a resolution to this.
Dont discount the fact that it is a HUMAN that programs the box.

"Humanity has the ability to stuff up anything if they put their mind to something irrelevant while doing something important."

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
....everything about the car felt radically different, from the throttle response to the steering, in all modes (normal/sport/sport+). Overall it feels much "tighter" for lack of a better word, and in general I'm liking it.....
EXACTLY the same experience after recent software update. Took dealer a couple of days to get it done though.....have no idea why...
Performance-wise much, much snappier, certainly more powerful.....even Mrs Z_V as passenger seems more twitchy.........
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:

Also depends on his mileage

like, if he has under 6k miles, even if it's the 1 year mark, BMW won't pay for an oil change

that's what I remember hearing
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:

To correct that - The service manager explaind that since I had an oil change at 1 year (11k miles) and also had an oil change when the computer indicated I needed one (15k miles), I do not get the oil change at 24k miles. I need to wait until the computer indicates I need an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I just returned from dealership who performed the DCT campaign.
My '11 35i is one year (54 weeks) old, 11375 mi, and they performed the " Low mileage annual oil and filter change" at N/C, without resetting the service indicator system. I think the car is more responsive. Normal feels as crisp as Sport mode. My invoice receipt states, " open campaign performed complet vehicle update including CAS.
My doors no longer both open with one click of key button. All 18 radio presets were deleted. Not sure of other if any less obvious changes/resets.

The service bulletin (copy) page 1 of 2, was provided to me with my service receipt. It is dated June 2011 and supercedes same dated September 2010.
"Due to errors in the diagnotic software of the DCT module, the "Freeze frame data" of the DCT memory can not be read out when using aftermarket scan tools.
CAUSE: DCT software error

"In order to determine whether a specific vehicle has had this Service Action completed or is affected by the SA, first check the B-pillar label for code number 575. If code number 575 has been punched out, the campaign has already been performed. If code number 575 has not been punched out, it will be necessary to utilize the Servcie Menu of SCSnet or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system either proceed with corrective action or take no further action.

hope this helps.
      07-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Jay Zone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i & 2010 M3

Just had mine done. HPFP replaced and DCT campaign. All 16 modules updated with latest software.

Definite improvement in throttle responsiveness. Acceleration is more linear and the exhaust note has changed. No more burbling just a nice hum. Steering boost may have been tweaked a little. Hard to tell. But overall the car feels far more mature and refined. Planted on the road and not as darty. Maybe they did suspension tuning also. Hard to tell.

OK time to go checkout the idrive for any changes.

JZ
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I just got mine back on Thursday for the software update and HPFP and my car seems faster and the throttle response better. I, too, noticed the exhaust note is better. I was hesitant about having this done at this time because my car hasn't had any problems, now I am glad that I did!
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #16
lamy29
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i 2010

Same Heavy steering

Hi all, any resolution or additional info. from OP? I have been having the same heavy steering at low speeds. This was after getting repairs done months ago. At highway speeds its great at slow parking lot speeds or dead stop its annoying.

I have noticed the steering response difference from being in comfort mode and sport mode. It almost seems like the sport mode kicks in randomly in normal.

I have had 3 different pro shops and dealer look at it. They all claim nothing is wrong. I have driven 5 different trim and year. All the steering was light at low speeds.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

My car: e89 2010 35i dct
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #17
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
...the tech I spoke to assured me that no human error is possible since they essentially just plug a box into the car which decides what software you get...
I'm not convinced that this is correct. I have read other forums where vehicles have even gotten the wrong model flashed to the ECU. Like for instance a 3 series got the firmware of a 6. Don't quote me on this because it has been so long since i saw the post i cant remember the details. But if it did happen there then could it happen to our vehicles too? I do recollect though that it did brick the ECU and it had to be replaced.
      02-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #18
lamy29
Rep

Both shops claim if something was faulty an error would have been generated. I'm ok with excepting that this is a sports car and heavy steering comes with it.

What's bugging me is how intermittent it comes up at slow speeds/stops and that I went out of my way to test drive 4 different years and trim all where lighter.

So far the only way I can think of to prove this is the get a Digital Pull Gauge to quantify how much effort is required. Other then that when I talk to these techs they just say "it feels fine to me" and i'm sol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Hi OP, it isn't something we have any documentation on as a forum, but a few of us have felt a change in steering feel after a software update that makes me believe there is something going on there.

Personally, the steering feel on my car has changed twice.. Once when it came in for a steering rack recall (the entire steering rack was replaced and the car was reprogrammed), and again recently when the whole car was reprogrammed during a recent service.

That said, while the steering on my car has gotten firmer/heavier, it is consistent every time i drive the car.

If you are having an intermittent very heavy steering, I think there might be an issue with your power steering and my GUESS is that they haven't driven it when it has the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
lamy29
Rep

Thanks Nick.
Appreciate 0