New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

BMW in WTCC 2013

Anybody following WTCC ?

http://www.fiawtcc.com/events?idSeason=25&idEvent=156

In the beginning of the current season, Seat and Chevrolet are going strong. Y. Muller and G. Tarquini are going strong too (even though the Honda is a bit weak so far).

BMW has no official team, but a number of indep line up the venerable e90 320i TC. They are not fairing very good so far.

There will be a round on US soil, in Ca. Anybody plan on going ?

Last edited by Meeni; 04-28-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
NutsaboutM3
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Apline White

Now BMW has the new generation of 3 series, they should re-entry to WTCC with factory team for marketing purpose!

IMO, BMW should focus on the following races with their official team:

WTCC – the most exciting race, a lot of overtaking, the racecars are close to the street car so got most recognition from the mass audiences.

GT Class (ALMS, VLN, 24 hours Nürburgring, Le Mans) – also very exciting race, cool looking cars and the competition among Ferrari, and Corvette will bring up its brand image.

DTM – super cool looking car for marketing purpose! The race itself is boring. Hopefully the introduction of DRS and option tyres will bring in more actions and overtaking maneuvers this year.

It is wise that BMW stays away from F1 race, too expensive for the game but may be they can provide engine to some F1 teams in order to keep BMW associate with F1 for marketing purpose.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

The 2 races in Hungary have been of epic proportions. Lots of action, very agressive action with Coronel driving the 320tc full speed. Almost a vitory of another BMW in the second race (without the safety car, it was a done deal), with Benani, an indep driver making the surprise. Y. Muller is still hovering over the competition, but each race is very lively! Can't wait this WE
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

The 2nd race in Moscow has been very good. Check it out if you want.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Chevy makes a mean engine!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Indeed, it takes a lot of skill for BMW drivers to stay in the competition, as soon as there is any sort of straight they are lunch material. And the Chevy is the master of straight top speed, and still looks like it retains excellent stability. It is a fast car.

I love to see indeps being at the top of the game. This is very refreshing!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsaboutM3 View Post
Now BMW has the new generation of 3 series, they should re-entry to WTCC with factory team for marketing purpose!

IMO, BMW should focus on the following races with their official team:

WTCC – the most exciting race, a lot of overtaking, the racecars are close to the street car so got most recognition from the mass audiences.

GT Class (ALMS, VLN, 24 hours Nürburgring, Le Mans) – also very exciting race, cool looking cars and the competition among Ferrari, and Corvette will bring up its brand image.

DTM – super cool looking car for marketing purpose! The race itself is boring. Hopefully the introduction of DRS and option tyres will bring in more actions and overtaking maneuvers this year.

It is wise that BMW stays away from F1 race, too expensive for the game but may be they can provide engine to some F1 teams in order to keep BMW associate with F1 for marketing purpose.
Don't hope for anything, BMW is about selling millions of cars, not Motorsport which is very expensive and brings little.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

WTCC is cheap, as far as motorsport goes. It is also refreshingly lively, with lots of passing, and fights. I think it is the most intersting to watch, much more than F1 or DTM which are seriously boring.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
WTCC is cheap, as far as motorsport goes. It is also refreshingly lively, with lots of passing, and fights. I think it is the most intersting to watch, much more than F1 or DTM which are seriously boring.
Customers and potential customers are not watching WTCC. If they were BMW would be back in with Factory supported teams... Agree it's great racing; I'm not into it anymore due to BMW's lack of support... Lada? Russian Crap.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
KnudHansn
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda city

I don't agree WTCC has huge fan following all over the world. Nash won WTCC race on the Porto Boavista street circuit, he was driving driving a bamboo-engineering Chevrolet Cruze.
      08-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

The local kid in Argentina. Woaw !
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

That was a great season this year.

BMW was nowhere to be seen on the front rows, but well. Citroen did capture most of the awards. But from mid season on there was some good competition between brands for the top spots.

The championship was also very disputed between the 3 main Citroen drivers. Although the new kid did get a head start and showed an impecable season with no mistakes and no ill luck, at many points it could have turned, should luck strike another way.

Anticipating next year now, the story doesn't seem to include more BMW action, sad with the availability of the 2-racing that is almost spec for WTCC, but anyway. Muller will have to show he is still the master of the game and past season was just an accumulation of bad luck. It's certainly a possibility, but Lopoez may very well prove to be made of the thougher stuff, it's no mistake he won.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #13
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

WTCC is going to need more manufacturers to survive, that said the racing is far better than DTM, which is dull, in cars which bear no relationship to what a punter can buy.
Appreciate 0