New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

12-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Rumor: F1 to scrap current turbo V6 rules for 2016

"F1 is now speeding towards yet another new set of engine regulations.

On Thursday at a Geneva meeting of the Strategy Group, Bernie Ecclestone proposed to scrap the current turbo V6 rules.

Michael Schmidt, of the respected German trade magazine Auto Motor und Sport, said that although his proposal did not produce a "definitive result", the sport is now headed towards an all-new set of regulations for 2016.

"The engines are to be louder, more powerful and cheaper," said Schmidt on Friday.

"The goal is 1000 horse power and a cost of 10 million euros per team. An expert group must deliver results (on the proposal) by the end of January," he added.

It is now too late, however, to make significant changes to the 2015 rules, which will be almost identical to the turbo V6 formula that saw Mercedes cruise dominantly to the title this year.

Geneva, however, did produce one or two rule tweaks for 2015.

Recently, when Korea was surprisingly added to the 2015 schedule, it was said Ecclestone had done it as a mere trick to give every driver an extra engine to use throughout next season.

But on Thursday, that loophole was closed and - regardless of whether 20 or 21 races are ultimately held next year - each driver will be limited to just 4 engines for the 2015 season as originally intended.

Schmdit said the tweak was made because the extra engine would have cost already struggling teams up to an extra 800,000 euros."
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...irated-engines

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...r-2016-engines

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...n-2016-report/

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ry/185051.html
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Welcome to F1 Honda. Your engine will be scrap after one season.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Ridiculous, all these attempts at cost cutting remind me of how government works. Start with a good idea, but in the end wind up costing everyone way more money than you would have otherwise and pissing everyone off in the meantime.

All that R&D spent on the I6s and they last two seasons, way to go F1. I don't even know why I care anymore, the "races" are such boring snooze fests anyway.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

This is such BS just because Renault and primarily Ferrari can't get their act together and produce a decent motor. Both Honda and Mercedes should tell that troll Bernie to go eff himself if this is allowed to occur.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
That's how F1 keep screwing new entrants and engine suppliers.
Remember back in 2010, when HRT, Lotus (Caterham), Virgin Racing (Marussia) entered F1. FOM forced them to use Cosworth engine, and back then they are organized the teams with an assumption a budget cap. Thus their R&D and money wise, will never catch up with the established teams. Now, 2 of the 3 are gone.

Now, Teams and Engine suppliers were forced to produce the power unit which cost more than traditional V8s. Another factor of smaller teams burning money.

In my opinion, 2014 (even 2015) teams should be allowed to choose to use either new I6 Power units or traditional V8 (with KERS only) if their budget constraints them to do so. That allows the teams to operate in lower budget if they wish. With more known factors when they allocate their budgets. Smaller teams simply don't have the budget to pay for and develop new power units.
      12-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Best news in a long time. Now they just need to scrap the fuel limit as well and we are BACK in business. No prentending to be green nonsense, just raw F1 racing. They can start a parallell, all electric green F1 spinoff and see how many viewers they get

And yes, this is of course all due to Ferrari not being able to build a competetive car. Who can blame them, F1 isn't F1 without a strong Ferrari. I guess Vettel just peed in his pants of joy, Alonso not so much

Regarding Honda, NA high revving, reliable engines are their forte' so I don't see any problem with this for them, rather the opposite taken Benz dominance and "vorsprung" with the turbo hybrid.

Last edited by solstice; 12-19-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
"..............

Regarding Honda, NA high revving, reliable engines are their forte' so I don't see any problem with this for them, rather the opposite taken Benz dominance and "vorsprung" with the turbo hybrid.
Yes, except it doesn't tie in with marketing.
Isn't that one of the reasons they left the last time?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes, except it doesn't tie in with marketing.
Isn't that one of the reasons they left the last time?
Not sure. Honda cars today is an utter disgrace from such a competent racing company. They suck at sports and they suck at luxury. Both Nissan and Toyota crush them in sport of the Japanase and the same go for luxury. Acura is a joke. The Germans absolutely crap on them. What they do best is BORING.

I think geting back in F1 is a great start if they want to revamp their enthusiast reputation independent on engine type, the rawer, thirstier, louder and faster the better to take them out of the disgraceful state they ended up in
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #10
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I think geting back in F1 is a great start if they want to revamp their enthusiast reputation independent on engine type, the rawer, thirstier, louder and faster the better to take them out of the disgraceful state they ended up in
New NSX will help that as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
New NSX will help that as well.
Absolutely and it's likely no coincidence that the F1 return and the NSX return has similar timing. At least I hope they are symptoms of Honda making an effort to return with cars for enthusiasts. I have missed them.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

i guess its stupid
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

The F1 involvement helped spur BMW to develop the S85/S65, so it is a good sign.

Quote:
Absolutely and it's likely no coincidence that the F1 return and the NSX return has similar timing. At least I hope they are symptoms of Honda making an effort to return with cars for enthusiasts. I have missed them.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Yeah, there are going to be some pissed manuf's and I can't blame them. However, I agree that my God, this is F1!! We shouldn't be pretending to "care" about being green and environmental. Who cares. Formula E is a circus sideshow and F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing innovation. So whatever it takes to get back to that, I'm happy with.
      12-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
Yeah, there are going to be some pissed manuf's and I can't blame them. However, I agree that my God, this is F1!! We shouldn't be pretending to "care" about being green and environmental. Who cares. Formula E is a circus sideshow and F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing innovation. So whatever it takes to get back to that, I'm happy with.
The current formula of FI engine paired with some form of hybrid component is highly relevant as many manufacturers are using this combination to increase economy but still maintain performance. Hence F1 using this type of power plant doesn't bother me at all.

What (somewhat) ruins the current regs re: the power train, is the stupid maximum fuel allowed and the fuel flow rate. This is the reason that the cars aren't allowed to rev to their full potential and create obscene power. Uncork the damn things and let them run without the ridiculous fuel constraints. We'll see even better racing than we did this year as the power/torque of the cars will really separate the 'men from the boys', AND the cars will sound much better at higher revs.

Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Yes I'm well aware of that. That needs to go too. I don't care about they hybrid aspect of it, as I don't mind how the engines develop power (just like in LMP1) but they should get to USE the full amount of power which nobody seems to be suggesting. So if we have to go back to NA engines but they can actually rev and use fuel, then I would trade back to that in a heartbeat.
      12-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

All that R&D spent on the I6s and they last two seasons, way to go F1. I don't even know why I care anymore, the "races" are such boring snooze fests anyway.
Current engines are V6's not I6's.

I think the engine formula should be open like they have in Sportscar racing, the top three teams all use vastly different engines, Audi V6 turbo diesel, Porsche V4 petrol turbo, Toyota V8 petrol.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
The current formula of FI engine paired with some form of hybrid component is highly relevant as many manufacturers are using this combination to increase economy but still maintain performance. Hence F1 using this type of power plant doesn't bother me at all.

What (somewhat) ruins the current regs re: the power train, is the stupid maximum fuel allowed and the fuel flow rate. This is the reason that the cars aren't allowed to rev to their full potential and create obscene power. Uncork the damn things and let them run without the ridiculous fuel constraints. We'll see even better racing than we did this year as the power/torque of the cars will really separate the 'men from the boys', AND the cars will sound much better at higher revs.

Bish
X2. I especially have never understood the fuel flow rate. Since the tank is limited and they can't refuel who cares what the rate of use is. When they run out they will stop.

At this point I also prefer they stay with the turbo. In the not to distant future I believe virtually all normal cars will be turbo'd and this keeps the F1 engines closer to relevant.

I also think the main problem with money is the top teams are paid far more than the other's even when the others are successful. Getting rid of guaranteed payments and spreading the money around more equally would make the racing better and fill up the grid.