New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
mac-z4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Michelin PSS Tires

Getting ready to replace my Bridgestone RFT (225/45/17) tires with same size Michelin PSS. For those that are running PSS's can you provide feedback on their noise level and riding comfort compared to the OEMs. Handling no doubt will be much improved as this has been well documented on this forum. Also, reading customer reviews on TireRack.com I noticed a few comments that "The PSS's are difficult to drive in more normal settings and in a straight line. They really do not like to track straight. They get really nervous and jittery and look for minor variations in the pavement to follow." Have others experienced this problem? If so, is it a significant issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-z4 View Post
Getting ready to replace my Bridgestone RFT (225/45/17) tires with same size Michelin PSS. For those that are running PSS's can you provide feedback on their noise level and riding comfort compared to the OEMs. Handling no doubt will be much improved as this has been well documented on this forum. Also, reading customer reviews on TireRack.com I noticed a few comments that "The PSS's are difficult to drive in more normal settings and in a straight line. They really do not like to track straight. They get really nervous and jittery and look for minor variations in the pavement to follow." Have others experienced this problem? If so, is it a significant issue.

I have not had my car at the track but they are excellent performance tires. I will probably not buy anything other the MPSS for a long time. They are pretty quiet and ride better than RFT. I have KWV3 coilovers so I cannot speak to how they ride on a stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Its a great OEM style street tire. Go for it. (they'll chunk at the track so go for something more aggressive if that's on your to-do list)

Might want to consider going for a 245 wide square setup instead of the stock 225 for more grip/fun. You'll might get a bit more of that "tramlining" if you go to the wider tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

buy the Michelin PSS - you will not regret it
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

The biggest change I noticed is grip.

The PSS stick to the road really well, the most noticeable improvement is in cool wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I moved from Bridgestone to Pirelli PZero (run flats) and noted a slight improvement in ride. I then moved from PZero's (RF) to non run fat Michelin PSS and this improved the ride very notably. Changing the road imperfection 'bangs' to 'thumps'. I have noted the grip is less on the M PSS compared to the PZero's but its not by much. Overall I'm very happy with the switch to M PSS as the ride is so much better. I have though also noted the compound appears softer as the tread looks a bit torn and feathered (even though alignment is spot on) with the M PSS. So far wear appears roughly the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
I went to super sports on my rear a few months back. Replacing the stock RFT.
Great all around. Now i have just replaced my fronts with PSS and the road noise is killing me. The noise is 100% louder than the rft. I find this hard to understand as the rear did not have this. I just had BMW align them as well.
Any suggestions? are you seeing this?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Using the advanced search feature, you can find that this is likely the most asked question out here, with an answer to any question about them, regardless of any size rim you have.

But I like mine...
Appreciate 0