New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #23
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
McLaren driver rolled through a stop sign and then had the gall to honk at the kid who was lawfully skating across. I have no sympathy for the McLaren driver even though technically speaking the kid did commit vandalism.

Like technically speaking the McLaren driver should be cited for rolling through a stop sign and endangering a pedestrian, and the kid should be charged with vandalism.
Technically the kid committed class 4 felony vandalism being that the damage was higher than misdemeanor values. Potentially punishable by 2 - 6 years in prison and $2k to $500k in fines.

Like technically, it's not cool for people to enact street or social justice. There is no place for it and every one of you having no pity for the driver would be in here crying your eyes out if someone did that to your BMW.
      07-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #24
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

I'd be pissed, but then again, smart enough to stop for a stop sign with a pedestrian. The argument goes both ways. If I was a cunt and rolled a stop sign when someone was crossing, I'd be pissed for 5 minutes, but at least wouldn't be stupid enough to blame it on the person trying to cross the street like a normal person.

McLaren driver made the first mistake, punk made the second. Neither were right, McLaren made the first wrong because I can put money on the fact he felt entitled. So fuck him.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I'd be pissed, but then again, smart enough to stop for a stop sign with a pedestrian. The argument goes both ways. If I was a cunt and rolled a stop sign when someone was crossing, I'd be pissed for 5 minutes, but at least wouldn't be stupid enough to blame it on the person trying to cross the street like a normal person.
I've watched the video several times. Lots of assumptions in this thread. No one knows what the driver's attention was focused on that caused him to miss the stop sign. No one knows where the kid was when the car stopped.

Being that the kid smashed the windshield from the passenger side of the car and the car was nearly halfway though the crosswalk when it stopped, my guess is that the kid was in the street coming towards the car. That too may have been what the driver was focused on causing him to miss the stop sign, maybe that's why he honked. Who knows? ....no one here.

The only thing anyone can be sure about is that the driver broke a traffic law and the kid committed a felony by willfully defacing someone else's property.
      07-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #26
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Technically the kid committed class 4 felony vandalism being that the damage was higher than misdemeanor values. Potentially punishable by 2 - 6 years in prison and $2k to $500k in fines.

Like technically, it's not cool for people to enact street or social justice. There is no place for it and every one of you having no pity for the driver would be in here crying your eyes out if someone did that to your BMW.
I don't have pity for the driver only insomuch as he instigated the incident with his own stupidity and then compounded that by honking. Let me reiterate - I want both parties charged to the fullest extent of the law. That kid should be liable for the full cost of damages plus any "pain and suffering" the driver endured due to his otherwise immaculate car being sullied. The driver should be liable for whatever traffic citation his actions warrant.

Both parties are stupid. The driver instigated the stupidity. Had that moron teenager walked on and taken that moron McLaren driver's stop sign "roll through" and subsequent honking in stride, the teenager would've been the better man (and I wouldn't be referring to him as a moron right now).

Had the McLaren driver not honked, I would have sympathy for him. It's the honking that does it for me. He made a mistake by failing to stop at a stop sign and failing to yield to a pedestrian, but we're all human we make mistakes.

I'm entitled to feel as much or as little pity for either party as I please as long as my inherent biases (or similar biases held by those with judiciary power) aren't being used to inform legal punishment.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've watched the video several times. Lots of assumptions in this thread. No one knows what the driver's attention was focused on that caused him to miss the stop sign. No one knows where the kid was when the car stopped.

Being that the kid smashed the windshield from the passenger side of the car and the car was nearly halfway though the crosswalk when it stopped, my guess is that the kid was in the street coming towards the car. That too may have been what the driver was focused on causing him to miss the stop sign, maybe that's why he honked. Who knows? ....no one here.

The only thing anyone can be sure about is that the driver broke a traffic law and the kid committed a felony by willfully defacing someone else's property.
Your point about people not knowing what really happened is a fair one. You're right, maybe the kid wasn't lawfully walking across the street. Maybe the kid was unlawfully strolling down against traffic. Maybe the McLaren driver was warranted in honking. If that's the case, then I would pity the McLaren driver.

My punishment would not change, though. The driver still failed to stop at a stop sign (at minimum), and the teenager still committed vandalism.

But that's precisely why my punishment is independent about how I feel about the incident based on admittedly incomplete information and video evidence.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

You guys are morons and missing a stop sign doesn't warrant that reaction. I wouldn't report and beat the living shit out of the kid and insert the skateboard in his ass
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #29
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
You guys are morons and missing a stop sign doesn't warrant that reaction. I wouldn't report and beat the living shit out of the kid and insert the skateboard in his ass
1MOREMOD trying to out-thug both parties by going for assault and battery
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1MOREMOD trying to out-thug both parties by going for assault and battery
No one here would really go, oh I deserved that. Fucking liars.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #31
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No one here would really go, oh I deserved that. Fucking liars.
No I agree, I'd be livid even if I was in the wrong (which as Tonka mentioned we're not sure if the McLaren driver was actually guilty of anything more than simply failing to stop at a stop sign).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have pity for the driver only insomuch as he instigated the incident with his own stupidity and then compounded that by honking. Let me reiterate - I want both parties charged to the fullest extent of the law. That kid should be liable for the full cost of damages plus any "pain and suffering" the driver endured due to his otherwise immaculate car being sullied. The driver should be liable for whatever traffic citation his actions warrant.

Both parties are stupid. The driver instigated the stupidity. Had that moron teenager walked on and taken that moron McLaren driver's stop sign "roll through" and subsequent honking in stride, the teenager would've been the better man (and I wouldn't be referring to him as a moron right now).

Had the McLaren driver not honked, I would have sympathy for him. It's the honking that does it for me. He made a mistake by failing to stop at a stop sign and failing to yield to a pedestrian, but we're all human we make mistakes.

I'm entitled to feel as much or as little pity for either party as I please as long as my inherent biases (or similar biases held by those with judiciary power) aren't being used to inform legal punishment.
I understand what you're saying in your posts and agree that both parties should be punished for their crimes. But my point is that i don't give a fuck what the driver did. NOTHING warrants anyone taking "justice" into their own hands. He could have used a train horn while sneaking up on the skater, it still doesn't excuse the skaters actions. Much in the same way that someone can follow me walking down the street berating me and my significant other verbally. I have NO lawful right to lay a hand on that person no matter how much I think they deserve it.

This is personalty accountability and being in control of one's actions.

I fully understand that the kid may have been startled, may have felt disrespected, may just be a punk bitch. But the more we applaud street justice the more we'll see shit like Ferguson and Baltimore riots or cops being killed in retaliation. Some will say that's a stretch from vandalism, but it's not as much of a stretch as one might think. Humans recognize new limits and it's in our nature to test and stretch them. Once they are stretched, they are the new normal, until they get stretched again.

What the people involved "deserve" is what the law currently states. A citation for the driver and a week or so of jail time for the kid along with restitution to the driver in the amount of a new windshield and a full detail. Thats fair, in my opinion anyway. Probably a life changing lesson for the kid too.

Nothing against you, just using your post as a response point. Just tired of people doing what ever they hell they want and seeing other people publicly praising them for it.
      07-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Oh great guess I overreacted and wasn't even involved!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:23 PM   #34
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

yall soft, i would
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #35
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

Quote:

I'm by no means saying his reaction was warranted, but as the driver of a vehicle, you obey basic laws for the protection of others. Whether the kid was just starting to cross or not (as we don't know like you stated), it's the operator of the vehicle to abide by signs on the road. We are taught this in the very beginning of driver safety courses.

Again, the kid shouldn't have smashed the window. The driver shouldn't have been a prick. There is no right answer in this case, and anyone who wants to fight about it has no right, due to the fact of it being two wrongs don't make a right. That's all I'm going to say.

Figure this. Driver stopped within stopping distance of the stop sign (per basic common sense), the whole thing would have been avoided. Both parties acted in the wrong. There's no right answer here due to the circumstances, and anyone who wants to argue that lacks common sense. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #36
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Lot's of assumptions going on...but that is the day and age now. How do we know the kid was just walking across the street and the car cut him off and he broke the window. What if he was skating at a high speed and jumped the curb and tried to stop but the car entered the crosswalk that he was going into and he lost control of the board. Even if that happened he probably would still take off. How do we know what was on purpose? I can see several different scenarios that could have happened.
      07-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #37
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
You may want to think twice and watch your head before you fight someone with a skateboard. You can absolutely wear someone out with one of those things if you hit them with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Okay the fact he took it out on a car states, bitch off the bat.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #39
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Okay the fact he took it out on a car states, bitch off the bat.
This is true.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #40
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
I'm by no means saying his reaction was warranted, but as the driver of a vehicle, you obey basic laws for the protection of others. Whether the kid was just starting to cross or not (as we don't know like you stated), it's the operator of the vehicle to abide by signs on the road. We are taught this in the very beginning of driver safety courses.

Again, the kid shouldn't have smashed the window. The driver shouldn't have been a prick. There is no right answer in this case, and anyone who wants to fight about it has no right, due to the fact of it being two wrongs don't make a right. That's all I'm going to say.

Figure this. Driver stopped within stopping distance of the stop sign (per basic common sense), the whole thing would have been avoided. Both parties acted in the wrong. There's no right answer here due to the circumstances, and anyone who wants to argue that lacks common sense. Simple as that.
The right answer is that you don't deface someone's property for any reason.

I was taught in the beginning of my life that you don't deface other peoples property or act on your emotions when it comes to retaliation, especially when that retaliation involves a felony.

One could argue that the kid shouldn't have been in the street on a skateboard. And if he wasn't, the driver's missed stop sign would be inconsequential. Not sure on the skateboard laws in CO, but in many states, riding that shit is a crime in itself.

Edit....

Quote:
Skateboards may be a cool way to get to school, but they aren't legal, at least when it come to riding on the streets.

When the weather is warm and dry, one often sees riders on long and short boards cruising along city streets, especially around the CSU campus. But it's not a legal activity and could lead to a ticket and fine.

Boards of all shapes and sizes are classified as toys under state law and are not permitted on roads, including bicycle lanes, said Officer David Kaes of the Fort Collins police traffic unit. The same goes for roller blades, skates, skis and scooters.

Boards and other "toys" are allowed on sidewalks and private property unless they are expressly prohibited, such as in designated dismount zones in Old Town.
Looks like little Johny is a habitual law breaking hoodlum.
      07-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #41
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I feel that tonka is uber passionate about this... Must Google if there is a hatred with bicyclists and skateboarders... Too much fucks are given to the stupidity of two idiots...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #42
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Egos. They come in all shapes, sizes, and income levels.
I bet that little punk kid ran out in front of the McLaren just because "yield to pedestrians" is a must and he didn't give two sh1ts. just like every person where I live! Take their time crossing the street with no fuc*s given and don't care if they cut you off because your ass will be sued otherwise.

Its a road people! Its meant for cars so look both ways and respect other people's time to get places just like you! They wana go first just like you want too!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:58 PM   #43
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Do as to others as you would want to be done to yourself.

McLaren driver shouldn't have ran stop sign. Kid shouldn't have smashed window.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 11:35 PM   #44
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

We're assuming Mr McLaren purposely and or maliciously ran through a stop sign with intent to kill pedestrians. Let's not all get so holy now...dont know many people I see roll stop signs including myself sometimes. Not saying that's right but saying it's normal and usual in society. But it isn't normal for someone to smash your winshield.
We can't see where the kid was or came from to make a judgement as to whether he was crossing, but instead "skating" in the road. That incident went from 0-60 really fast.

I would say that they were both wrong but in normal everyday society, kid was much more wrong.
Appreciate 0