New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: 650i cupe

Getting under the dash...

Hi Guys

I’m about to install a Defa system (cabin heater and battery charger). The cabin heater is operated via an app on my mobile phone.

The app requires a Link Hub inside the car, and Defa recommend placing the link Hub under the dash. I’ve been working for hours, but I can’t get inside the dash. I tried to get the glove compartment out but had to give up.

Is there anyone who knows of a DIY for removing the whole glove compartment? Or maybe it is easier to remove the navi screen or the dash speaker?

The Link Hub is aprox 3x3inch flat device With wires coming out of it.

Appreciate any help
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Not much room under the dash on the passengers side due to AC/Heater - I'd be aiming for drivers side or behind the seat. Possibly room under the center console (at the front) depending on thickness
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Thanks, its only ½ inch thick. I was able to slide it up from underneath but there was no way I could attach it with only one hand, don’t want to have it rumbling around in there either.

Is there any room on the side of the dash speaker or the navi screen? How hard is it to remove the speaker and screen?

Guess I also could try in the center console.

Tried behind the seat, but couldn’t find out how to detach the different trim’s so that the wires (runs forward to the engine room) would be hidden. Any DIY?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
Visionist
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: E89 35i - Orion/Pure White

Not speaking from first-hand experience but I've seen pics of the centre speaker cover off and it looks like a simple job with a screwdriver or trim removal tool. If you don't have Premium audio (option 677) you'll have space where the tweeter would be to house a gadget, or the cover behind the seats in the middle, above the ski-hatch pass-through; that should come off easily with a screwdriver, just be careful not to scratch the plastic.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Thanks, have been looking at pix on realoem and it seems like there would be hard to find space in the area around the dash speaker/navi screen.

Optimally I would like to find space behind the glowbox. But I just can’t find out how to remove the box (#3 in the pix)

Digidee just posted an excellent DIY for getting access to underneath the center console, so I think I’m going to have a look under the center console. Hopefully there will be space for my HubLink.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
ojo
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep

Hi all
Spring is here and I got to spend some time cleaning up the Zed. I also did the ash-tray to storage-compartment conversion. And while I had the center console off I removed the phone adapter (that I never use) and found space for the HubLink.
After removing the phone adapter w/harness I found space for the HubLink under the center console.

Btw, the phone adapter was a hazel to remove. I ended up breaking it while trying to get the adapter separated from the console.

Last edited by ojo; 04-05-2015 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0