New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow 2011 Z4 Fall Updates Summary (Beginning September Production)

BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Update

* September 8, 2010
* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J., September 8, 2010... For most BMW models, the 2011 model year began in spring 2010. Below, we outline each of the 2011 models including the changes that will take place from September production.

BMW’s new inline-6 gasoline engine.

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

Packaging is better for the new engine, as the BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) control unit is now mounted directly to the engine, shortening the required wiring harness length and providing more efficient cooling to the DME through the use of intake air. Furthermore, using a single turbocharger means only a single exhaust stream must find its way to the catalytic converter, so only a single catalytic converter is used on the new engine. The single catalytic converter can be activated more quickly at cold start than the preceding twin-catalyst configuration, so the new engine has a cleaner cold start emissions signature than its predecessor. The new “N55” engine will be installed in the 135i Coupe and Convertible, the 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible (excludes 335is models), the new 535i Sedan when it arrives this summer, the 535i Gran Turismo arriving this spring and finally, the X5 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles® starting with April production.

2011 BMW Z4 Roadster

The classic roadster is back – more powerful and more stylish than ever before. It is the BMW Z4, the only car in its segment that combines classic roadster proportions with a seating position near the rear axle, rear-wheel drive, and a retractable hardtop.

Nothing matches the BMW Z4’s ability to offer all the driving pleasure of a BMW Roadster with particularly refined and stylish flair. Roof down, this two-seater offers a refreshing experience of sunshine wind. Drive it with the hardtop closed and it provides all the comfort of a sports coupe.

The design of the new Z4 comes out through classic details interpreted in new, up-to-date style. This outstanding two-seater offers a unique combination of elegance, agility, and comfort. The aluminum shells of the two-piece lightweight hardtop come to rest in the roof compartment, saving maximum space in the process. Even with the roof closed, the new Z4 retains the proportions typical of a genuine roadster.

The new BMW Z4 is offered in the US with two well-known and acclaimed inline-6 engines, both displacing 3.0 liters: 300 hp in the BMW Z4 sDrive35i and 255 hp in the BMW Z4 sDrive30i ensure truly outstanding acceleration and response at all times.

Comprehensive use of BMW’s EfficientDynamics technologies serves to provide an unparalleled balance of driving pleasure and fuel efficiency. While both models feature a manual 6-speed gearbox, the Z4 sDrive35i is available with the 7-speed Double Clutch Transmission (DCT). The 6-speed sport automatic is optional on the Z4 sDrive30i.

An all-new exclusive Citrus Yellow package will be available as of September 2010 production on all Z4 models. Unique to this package are a number of premium features. First, Sport seats with an exclusive black Alcantara/leather combination cradles passengers in comfort and luxury. The center of the seats and backrest panels are black Alcantara with yellow accents, matching the unique color scheme of the car. The armrests and center console are draped in black Nappa leather with door inserts in yellow Alcantara featuring a double lapped seam. The center of the passenger-side dashboard is also fit with black Alcantara, while the lower dashboard is colored in Citrus Yellow. Unique for this package is the Individual Piano Black wood trim, anthracite colored headliner and exclusive Atacama Yellow exterior.

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

The new BMW Z4 sDrive35is ($61,925) is one of BMW’s fastest and best-handling Roadsters ever.

The turbocharger system developed for the engine of the new BMW Z4 sDrive35is maintains a high output throughout the entire engine speed range. Nominal peak torque is increased to 332 lb-ft from 1,400 rpm to 4,500 rpm. Maximum output of 335 hp is delivered at 5,800 rpm. The BMW Z4 sDrive35is will complete the sprint from a standstill to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds (preliminary).

Acoustic tuning of the exhaust system of the BMW Z4 sDrive35is gives the car a very unique sound across the speed range. The sound is characterized by a deep rumble with a focus on the low frequency sound range.

The BMW Z4 sDrive35is includes new M Sport upgrades such as M Aerodynamics and adaptive M Suspension. The adaptive M Suspension combines a ride-height reduction of 10 millimeters (almost 0.4”) with electronically controlled shock absorbers to improve the vehicle’s agility without compromising ride comfort. The M Sport upgrades emphasize the Z4’s athletic character through aerodynamically optimized exterior features and customized interior components.

Special 18-inch light-alloy wheels round off the sporty character of the Z4 sDrive35is. 19-inch light-alloy wheels are optional. In addition, the new model is further distinguished by a striking front bumper with a matte aluminum trim bar in each outer air intake, a rear bumper with accentuated surrounds on the tailpipes, and a rear diffuser finished at top in body color and black textured surface underneath. Inside, a full complement of M Sport details augments the new Aluminum Carbon interior trim and available new Kansas Walnut leather.

When Atacama Yellow is ordered on a Z4 sDrive35is (see Citrus Yellow package, Page 11), the mirror caps will be yellow rather than the oxide silver as is standard on other 35is models. The all-new Exclusive Citrus Yellow package will be available in combination with the M Sport Package.

BMW EfficientDynamics

The Intelligent Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions.

BMW’s commitment to reduce harmful emissions and help protect the environment is unique in the automobile industry. BMW applies its EfficientDynamics principles to each model by using lightweight components in key areas, new technologies for improved powertrain efficiency and more importantly, planned sustainability for the long term reduction of fuel consumption and emissions output.

A recent Environmental Defense report shows that BMW’s fleet average for CO2 emissions was reduced by 12% from 1990 - 2005 and its fuel economy improved by 14%, despite the introduction of many new passenger cars and light-duty trucks. This not only demonstrates our long-standing dedication to help the environment, but our ability to do so with every vehicle that wears the BMW roundel.

In this period of time, BMW has introduced many industry-leading technologies across its entire model range, such as Valvetronic throttle-less engine control, on-demand coolant and hydraulic pumps for reduced parasitic losses, and High-Precision Direct Injection. In 2009, BMW added two 50-state BMW Advanced Diesel models for an unprecedented combination of performance and low emissions. In some 2010 and 2011 models, BMW introduced Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop technology and two BMW ActiveHybrid models. It is our unending goal to develop technologies and vehicles designed to combine the efficiency our customers desire with dynamics and performance our customers expect.

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.

Beginning with September production there will be enhancements to BMW Assist with Bluetooth and the iPod/USB Adapter. These enhancements extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances. (All Models)

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth

The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support with multiple innovations. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

RIM Smart Phone Integration
  • * Mobile Office: The industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes through the iDrive system providing seamless integration with the vehicle. Safety and avoiding driver distraction is paramount at BMW. In order to maintain the driver’s focus on the road, the vehicle’s voice control system (included with navigation) will read messages aloud via text-to-speech. The central screen will also display the only the first three lines of text. The full text can only be displayed when the vehicle is parked. Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set will be announced later.
  • * vCard photo support: Images of contacts stored in your phonebook are downloaded from the device and shown on the vehicle display. When the mobile phone rings, a picture of the caller will appear on the vehicle display.
  • * External Call Lists: External call list handling downloads the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
  • * Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the “Y-cable” for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System.· Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: In combination with BMW Assist, the USB port can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
Aleppo
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i

Does anyone have an idea why the several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine, and not the Z4 sdrive35i engine?
Appreciate 0