New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: soon to be 440iM Sport Coupe

Any one with standard speakers

Just impoved the standard speaker sound 10 fold by fitting tweeters

Quick and easy upgrade. BMW tweeters just simply clip in the corners behind the mirrors and plug into the door speaker.

Part number is 65 13 9 220 751

08-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Nice find, I'm definitely up for adding these.. do you have a write up on how to install? photos/etc? (how to get tweeter panels off, door panels off etc).
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
nice, thanks!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Nice find, I'm definitely up for adding these.. do you have a write up on how to install? photos/etc? (how to get tweeter panels off, door panels off etc).
I have no write up, but if you order some from your local dealer, if you ask as I did in mine, they printed off the instructions to remove the door panel. Only 4 bolts to remove and then it pulls off. I think if you do a search on here there is some instructions.
      08-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

If you don't mind me asking which dealer did you use and what did they cost you?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking which dealer did you use and what did they cost you?
Lloyd Colne and cost about £70
      08-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

You can upgrade the speakers?? Very intriguing.... might have to rectify not getting the premium sound package.

I'm sure it improves the sound quality (since it's so dismal to begin with that's not hard), but what about volume?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
You can upgrade the speakers?? Very intriguing.... might have to rectify not getting the premium sound package.

I'm sure it improves the sound quality (since it's so dismal to begin with that's not hard), but what about volume?

Thanks!
It's loud enough for me, but does not increase volume.
      09-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I have some on order

'superbow' would you mind briefly outlining what you did, what comes off first, any things to look out for to make it easier? Tricky clips etc...

Back order from Germany.. I so hate having to wait for toys.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have some on order

'superbow' would you mind briefly outlining what you did, what comes off first, any things to look out for to make it easier? Tricky clips etc...

Back order from Germany.. I so hate having to wait for toys.
PM sent
      09-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
thepuya
Rep
Drives: z4 3.5i

I'm assuming you don't even need to get the OEM tweeters. You can find cheaper tweeters at Best Buy or a car audio store. I may go down that route.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Possibly, but the oem tweeters have slots that align with the door mount so you might have a bit of modifying to do on non oem.

Fitted mine today, fairly straight forward, if a little nerve racking pulling apart the doors. Sound is more balanced but am still looking to improve it further..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

superbow or maniac- can we get a little DIY write-up?

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Happy to do a brief text outline of what I did. No photos available, sorry, kinda difficult when doing the job single handed. Anyhow...

First off, get a set of cheap plastic panel/trim removal tools, they'll save you a lot of money as they'll prevent you hacking your trim or paint.

To remove the quarterlight (the empty bit of plastic where the tweeters will go) simply pull the rubber trim above the quarterlight back and you'll see a small piece of the cover plastic inserted into an inverse V metal clip. Simply place a trim removal tool of suitable size in here and gently prise while wiggling the trim. It will gradually work loose and simply come away. Just this one fastener here. While they're off, simply click the tweeters into the plastic quarterlight and replace the foam that you'll have taken out first. The tweeters will only go in one way around so check the slots and bits that stick out to ensure it slots in nicely and will not rattle loose later. Once the tweeters are mounted, push the quarterlight back into place ensuring its nicely aligned with the rubbers around it, leaving the tweeter wire dangling from between the plastic and foam.

Now locate the torx bolts in the doors, on the passenger side, two of these are behind the main door handle, just prise off the outer leather handle cover with the trim removal tools to expose them.

Then remove the cap of a torx screw where the door pull/open handle is, its an oval piece of plastic, tack should help you pull it off, or for me, a finger nail and then coax it out with any thin object like a jewelers screw driver.

The last torx on the passenger side is under another plastic cover inside the fold down storage compartment towards the outermost edge of the door (lock edge). Use the same technique as above.

On the drivers side, as there's no door shut handle, the bolts are under the arm rest where the window switches are, they're already exposed.

Next simply unscrew each torx bolt, and place somewhere safe.

Now you'll need the trim removal tools again, get a wide blade tool and place between the outermost/lower part of the door trim and the metal of the door itself and prise. Eventually a loud POP will be heard, this is the first of many pop fasteners around the door trim, roughly one every 4 inches. Work your way around underneath, popping the remaining fasteners. Those trim removal tools have already paid for themselves.

You should have the bottom 3/4 of the panel loose now. To prise away the top part of the panel from the main door, simply grasp the outermost (lock edge) / upper edge of the door panel and pull away from the door. They are metal V shaped clips that slot into the door panel like hands in a letterbox.

The door panel should now come away. Be careful as the door open/lock button on the top of the door panel will likely fall away and swing down, keep an eye on this for later. The door panel will still be linked by the wiring and door pull cables, so place something on the floor under the door you're working on to keep it raised so it doesn't dangle and damage any cables. There's a small white piece of plastic that holds the cables to the door near the speaker, use a trim removal tool to pop this out as it will free the cables making access easier.

Next locate the mid range speaker. More torx bolts. Remove these three bolts and the speaker will come loose. Find some way of keeping the tweeter wire away from surfaces where it might rattle. I wound the wire around the existing loom that runs from the mirror to the door, then put a little tape around that to ensure no or minimal surface for any budding rattles. Leave just enough spare wire to reach the mid range speaker.

On the back of the mid range speaker is a spare connector, put the connector for the tweeter in here, it requires a little force and will click when in. It will only fit one way.

Now put back the torx bolts into the speaker and tighten. Next pop the plastic plug from the wiring loom back into the mount near the speaker to ensure no rattles from the loom.

Now ensure that the open/locked button on the top of the door panel (its on the end of a piece of stiff wire) is slotted back into the hole at the top of the door panel, then align the top of the door panel and push the panel back onto the clips. Do this for all clips along the top of the panel first to make life easier.

Next press back all the pop fasteners by pressing around the door panel edge, from one side down to the bottom then back up the other edge.

Your new tweeters are now fitted and ready to go. I'm finding the sound a little harsh at the moment, but I'm hoping once they're run in a little they'll sweeten up.

If not, then the mid range will likely get replaced too! lol The key to it all is being slow and careful. Once you've done one door, you'll likely do the other in half the time. If anyone finds a hole in my instructions let me know and I'll update them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #15
superbow
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Good write, thanks saved me a job! Just to add it helps to drop the windows when doing this.

Quote:
Happy to do a brief text outline of what I did. No photos available, sorry, kinda difficult when doing the job single handed. Anyhow...

First off, get a set of cheap plastic panel/trim removal tools, they'll save you a lot of money as they'll prevent you hacking your trim or paint.

To remove the quarterlight (the empty bit of plastic where the tweeters will go) simply pull the rubber trim above the quarterlight back and you'll see a small piece of the cover plastic inserted into an inverse V metal clip. Simply place a trim removal tool of suitable size in here and gently prise while wiggling the trim. It will gradually work loose and simply come away. Just this one fastener here. While they're off, simply click the tweeters into the plastic quarterlight and replace the foam that you'll have taken out first. The tweeters will only go in one way around so check the slots and bits that stick out to ensure it slots in nicely and will not rattle loose later. Once the tweeters are mounted, push the quarterlight back into place ensuring its nicely aligned with the rubbers around it, leaving the tweeter wire dangling from between the plastic and foam.

Now locate the torx bolts in the doors, on the passenger side, two of these are behind the main door handle, just prise off the outer leather handle cover with the trim removal tools to expose them.

Then remove the cap of a torx screw where the door pull/open handle is, its an oval piece of plastic, tack should help you pull it off, or for me, a finger nail and then coax it out with any thin object like a jewelers screw driver.

The last torx on the passenger side is under another plastic cover inside the fold down storage compartment towards the outermost edge of the door (lock edge). Use the same technique as above.

On the drivers side, as there's no door shut handle, the bolts are under the arm rest where the window switches are, they're already exposed.

Next simply unscrew each torx bolt, and place somewhere safe.

Now you'll need the trim removal tools again, get a wide blade tool and place between the outermost/lower part of the door trim and the metal of the door itself and prise. Eventually a loud POP will be heard, this is the first of many pop fasteners around the door trim, roughly one every 4 inches. Work your way around underneath, popping the remaining fasteners. Those trim removal tools have already paid for themselves.

You should have the bottom 3/4 of the panel loose now. To prise away the top part of the panel from the main door, simply grasp the outermost (lock edge) / upper edge of the door panel and pull away from the door. They are metal V shaped clips that slot into the door panel like hands in a letterbox.

The door panel should now come away. Be careful as the door open/lock button on the top of the door panel will likely fall away and swing down, keep an eye on this for later. The door panel will still be linked by the wiring and door pull cables, so place something on the floor under the door you're working on to keep it raised so it doesn't dangle and damage any cables. There's a small white piece of plastic that holds the cables to the door near the speaker, use a trim removal tool to pop this out as it will free the cables making access easier.

Next locate the mid range speaker. More torx bolts. Remove these three bolts and the speaker will come loose. Find some way of keeping the tweeter wire away from surfaces where it might rattle. I wound the wire around the existing loom that runs from the mirror to the door, then put a little tape around that to ensure no or minimal surface for any budding rattles. Leave just enough spare wire to reach the mid range speaker.

On the back of the mid range speaker is a spare connector, put the connector for the tweeter in here, it requires a little force and will click when in. It will only fit one way.

Now put back the torx bolts into the speaker and tighten. Next pop the plastic plug from the wiring loom back into the mount near the speaker to ensure no rattles from the loom.

Now ensure that the open/locked button on the top of the door panel (its on the end of a piece of stiff wire) is slotted back into the hole at the top of the door panel, then align the top of the door panel and push the panel back onto the clips. Do this for all clips along the top of the panel first to make life easier.

Next press back all the pop fasteners by pressing around the door panel edge, from one side down to the bottom then back up the other edge.

Your new tweeters are now fitted and ready to go. I'm finding the sound a little harsh at the moment, but I'm hoping once they're run in a little they'll sweeten up.

If not, then the mid range will likely get replaced too! lol The key to it all is being slow and careful. Once you've done one door, you'll likely do the other in half the time. If anyone finds a hole in my instructions let me know and I'll update them.
      09-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Awesome Maniac! Thanks

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

Thanks. Mine unfortunately has the standard stereo. I was checking it out today and realized that dedicated tweeters would help it out a lot. just found this thread and it looks like its an easy plug and play job
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
all US spec Z4's come with tweeters already

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
all US spec Z4's come with tweeters already
you sure about that?

no sound comes from mine. haven't pulled the covers off, but there do not appear to be tweeters inside.

I found this thread specifically looking to see if there was a plug and play option.

if there are tweeters and they simply arent working - sweet. I'll take it in to be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
you sure about that?

no sound comes from mine. haven't pulled the covers off, but there do not appear to be tweeters inside.

I found this thread specifically looking to see if there was a plug and play option.

if there are tweeters and they simply arent working - sweet. I'll take it in to be fixed.
Sorry no Tweeters in my 35i - non premium audio. I checked the prices on the parts and it seems to be $57 for the pair...not bad. Just need to decide if I want to undertake ripping the door cover with clips.
      03-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

I am absolutely unstatisfied with the stock system, I have orderd this:

http://www.jehnert.de/produkte-doorb...tem?lang=de_de

I´ve heard one of their systems in a 1 Series and I liked it a Lot. Very balanced yet powerfull combo... Cant wait
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Al Blue4.6l
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
Sorry no Tweeters in my 35i - non premium audio. I checked the prices on the parts and it seems to be $57 for the pair...not bad. Just need to decide if I want to undertake ripping the door cover with clips.
shouldn't be too bad. I've somehow avoided ripping the door panels off of my BMWs, but I've done it on probably every other car I've ever owned and lord knows how many others.
Appreciate 0