New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Claying wheels?

Spent the morning washing, claying and sealing my car. Looks great but now I wonder about the wheels. I have read you can clay wheels. Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth the effort? I have no more energy left for the day other than to put the top down and go for a spin. I might trying claying the wheels next week if someone convinces me it is worth it.....sort of seems like a pain to do!
      04-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

sorry but i dont know what "claying" a car mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Spent the morning washing, claying and sealing my car. Looks great but now I wonder about the wheels. I have read you can clay wheels. Has anyone ever done this? Is it worth the effort? I have no more energy left for the day other than to put the top down and go for a spin. I might trying claying the wheels next week if someone convinces me it is worth it.....sort of seems like a pain to do!
You can clay anything. Personally never tried it on wheels - not worth the effort IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
sorry but i dont know what "claying" a car mean?
Claying a car is cleaning the paint. Clay removes surface bonded contamination through the mechanical action of the clay bar rubbing against the vehicle surface. Detailing clay abrades the contamination, wearing it down in some cases, as a result of this mechanical action. However, detailing clay is not abrasive to the paint. The use of a soap water solution prevents the clay from marring the paint. The removed contamination sticks to the clay bar and is removed from the paint.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
You can clay anything. Personally never tried it on wheels - not worth the effort IMO.

Claying a car is cleaning the paint. Clay removes surface bonded contamination through the mechanical action of the clay bar rubbing against the vehicle surface. Detailing clay abrades the contamination, wearing it down in some cases, as a result of this mechanical action. However, detailing clay is not abrasive to the paint. The use of a soap water solution prevents the clay from marring the paint. The removed contamination sticks to the clay bar and is removed from the paint.
Thanks buddy!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
I think claying is a but much but definitely wax them. It makes them look their best and makes cleaning much easier. Use a synthetic wax because it has a higher heat tolerance so it will last longer (Wheel Wax or any polymer wax)

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I think claying is a but much but definitely wax them. It makes them look their best and makes cleaning much easier. Use a synthetic wax because it has a higher heat tolerance so it will last longer (Wheel Wax or any polymer wax)
I am a little obsessive, I was going to clay and then use Wheel Wax on the wheels . I dropped a jar of the stuff last year in my garage and it smelled like bananas for about a month! I swear if you chopped up some bananas and put it in the wheel wax, you could fool some of us in the South!! I also have a polymer sealant that is supposed to work on wheels. The detail shop that did my paint protection film said it works better than anything they have tried on wheels. In terms of claying, this is the first time claying my white car (got it in October) and I did pull some stuff off of it. It feels beautiful to the touch, like a brand new car! Highly recommend claying your car, really makes it pop (even a white car),
      04-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
erichui
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 z4 sdrive30i AW/CR

I actually wanted to clay my wheels too but doing a not so perfect job on my car I was too tired already, spent about 12hours or so on claying, polishing, waxing etc.

I did however just applied the Nanolex Preimum alloy sealant (http://www.nanolex.de/en/nanolex-premium-alloy-sealant)

Bought it a while ago but never had a chance to take off all my wheels and clean them, then apply it. Will see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
erichui
Private
Australia
Rep

and just like doing wax on your paint, it is only useful if you try to clean you wheels as much as possible, and see if you got some kind of paint cleaner to clean it to to allow the wax to bond to the wheels better (whether you are claying or not)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
erichui
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I am a little obsessive, I was going to clay and then use Wheel Wax on the wheels . I dropped a jar of the stuff last year in my garage and it smelled like bananas for about a month! I swear if you chopped up some bananas and put it in the wheel wax, you could fool some of us in the South!!
I haven't smelled the wheel wax, but my favorite is the Dodo Juice Born Slippy (clay lube)! It has an orange kind of smell, and I couldn't stop myself trying to smell it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichui View Post
I haven't smelled the wheel wax, but my favorite is the Dodo Juice Born Slippy (clay lube)! It has an orange kind of smell, and I couldn't stop myself trying to smell it
I use that as my clay lube....I do love the smell (tangerine) as well and it is a great lube. In fact love all DoDo Juice Products. The Born to Be Mild car shampoo also super sudsy and smells great too. I only recently started to clay my cars. I always read about it but it seemed like a lot to go through but it is amazing how well it works!