New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

We drove the piss out of ours in September. Averaged 72mph on a several hundred mile, two day drive over the Cascade Mountains. Climbing, winding, hard braking, fun. Defintely exceeded 250, but not up to 260F. No loss of power. We do have the aux oil cooler in the front right fender.

Barnes, I am pretty sure that the cooling options of the "is" exceed those of the "i" to compensate for the added tuning the "is" has. The brochure makes specific reference to the added cooling in regards to the "is" and extra power, but no mention of it for the "i".

Last edited by wdlfbio; 02-25-2013 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #24
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

The 35i and 35is share the exact same 600w fan and both have no additional WATER cooler in the driver's side wheel arch as opposed to the 1M and some versions of the so called performance package of the 1 and 3 series.

You can add that additional water cooler of the 1M, it's pretty much plug and play albeit time consuming to install and it will cost you 800-1000 $. It's a great mod if no other cause can be found for overheating in your case.

I would never consider adding an aftermarket oil cooler. It's verified that they are totally efficient in dropping the operating temps but I would never alter the pressure levels of the stock lubrication system these kits result in.

What are generally your oil change intervals if I may ask?

Did you check your coolant level and optically the water pump for leaks?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

@jannisa, Good call on the coolant level. I will check on that, just in case.

My car has 6300 miles. Hasn't gotten serviced yet. I'm not planning on keeping it after my lease is up so I'm servicing it per the CBS or doing a low mileage annual oil change as needed.

I figure I might as well get a Porsche or another sporty car of that caliber in terms of readiness for performance driving than trying to make the Z4 measure up via modifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
@jannisa, Good call on the coolant level. I will check on that, just in case.

My car has 6300 miles. Hasn't gotten serviced yet. I'm not planning on keeping it after my lease is up so I'm servicing it per the CBS or doing a low mileage annual oil change as needed.

I figure I might as well get a Porsche or another sporty car of that caliber in terms of readiness for performance driving than trying to make the Z4 measure up via modifications.
Personally I would go for an oil change. I see my temps drop around 5 degrees Celcius on fresh oil and I change it every 7000km, might be worth a try.

But you are 100% right, you won't get away with a lot lower temps. These engines have been abused for years operating at these hot levels without major temp related issues but your case of limp modes sounds kind of abnormal given the use you describe.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Personally I would go for an oil change. I see my temps drop around 5 degrees Celcius on fresh oil and I change it every 7000km, might be worth a try.

But you are 100% right, you won't get away with a lot lower temps. These engines have been abused for years operating at these hot levels without major temp related issues but your case of limp modes sounds kind of abnormal given the use you describe.
The limp mode in stop and go traffic resulted in a new radiator fan assembly, so we'll see how things go for that particular situation.

It is so hard to describe driving patterns on the forums, and there are many factors so it is hard to speculate on what is normal and what isn't.

Even when our forum members discuss track usage, it isn't like we are posting up data logs or even lap times so we can't gauge how hard the cars are actually being used.

I took the car to a franchise dealer, I trust the tech who did the work, and the car's been declared normal so case closed for now....
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I found that the oil temps in the 335i was lower than the Z435i under the same operating conditions. No useful contribution to the thread, just an interesting observation.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0