New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
petro1head
Private
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

E89 35i suspension setup

I am wanting to improve front end grip and turn in on my 2009 car. I have already fitted Goodyear non run flat tyres.

What things are adjustable apart from toe in/out?

What setting would you reccomend
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

switch out whatever goodyear tire you are using for an actual performance tire, like Dunlop ZII, Bridgestone RE11, BFG rival etc as step 1. Weren't you prioritizing all season / wet when you were shopping? No surprise there is a lack of grip with that type of tire

I'd try zero toe and maximum possible negative camber

You might want to bring the rear toe closer to zero and slightly less then rear negative camber to something like -1.6 to help the rear rotate a bit more and reduce the understeer feeling

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
switch out whatever goodyear tire you are using for an actual performance tire, like Dunlop ZII, Bridgestone RE11, BFG rival etc as step 1. Weren't you prioritizing all season / wet when you were shopping? No surprise there is a lack of grip with that type of tire.
So if I get this straight, without knowing what Goodyear tire he ended up with, you're saying it's junk and to replace them with an "actual performance tire" (whatever that means)? That seems rather harsh!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
petro1head
Private
Rep

RE the tyres, I am based in the uk, we get a lot of rain

The tyres I have just bought are actually very good and a very popular choice in the uk for performance cars = http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Go...ymmetric-2.htm vs http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...tenza-RE11.htm

They are also a great improvement over the run flats, so that bits sorted

So, are you saying you can adjust the camber on a stock Z4?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
petro1head
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
So if I get this straight, without knowing what Goodyear tire he ended up with, you're saying it's junk and to replace them with an "actual performance tire" (whatever that means)? That seems rather harsh!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Correct, that's what I'm saying. An "actual performance tire" is one that will not start to melt when used hard, and have a very high level of grip

He is asking for grip, and asking for alignment settings, which suggests he is very serious about finding said grip. Tire is always the place to start, and looking for the street tire class winners (the examples I gave were such tires in years past, the goodyear is not) is a good shortcut to finding grip

Sorry if that came off as harsh, but I really don't think Goodyear makes credible "actual performance tires" in the way I think the micheline PSS on my M3 are not. I used 40% of tread in 1 DE, and they started to melt. unacceptable.

Yes, you can adjust camber on E89. There's not much available though without going to camber plates. Mine had -1 front and -2 rear, and toe i think was 0 in front and slight toe in in the rear
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
petro1head
Private
Rep

well in the UK those tyres are well regarded and provide similar grip to the Michelin you mentioned however the wet grip is better. If I was not concerned about wet weather grip I would run track day tyres which are even grippier

Probable best just to agree to differ

Thanks for the info on camber
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #8
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

check out this thread:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879624
      07-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #9
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Agree on the tires, camber and toe adjustments. Next step could be upgrading the rear sway bar, but I have no personal experience with this. I prefer the "going in slowly and exiting sideways"-approach to life. Thats also why didnt get something mid engined...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #10
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

The asymmetrics gy are far better than the mich pss imo. You are welcome to check in the link below my sig, you can have the alignment settings I got from a racing company in germany for 50 euros, I wish I had them earlier before paying 4 times for alignment experiments.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0