New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
fisherman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 sDrive 30i

micro filter, brake fluid flush,standard scope

Had my 2011 in for the free Vanos Bolt recall , and the service tech said the computer recommended the following routine maintenance items. I only have 10200 miles, with the car now at 50 months old ( out of warranty ).

In addition to an oil change based on time rather than mileage, do you think these other items are necessary ? Micro filter at $124, standard scope at $65, and brake fluid flush at $ 160. I don't even know what a " standard scope " is, as well a micro filter ?

I told them I would hold off on the maintenance items until I have to get a state inspection the beginning of next year, when I'll bring the car in and have them do the inspection and any required maintenance.

Since I'm now out of factory free service, do I need these other items ? My car has been perfect since new , with never an issue of any kind.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
mac-z4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I have a 2011 3.0i as well with 9800 miles. I addition to annual low milage oil changes my dealer performed a brake fluid flush at the 2 and 4 year interval and changed the cabin micro filter at 3 year visit. All of these were under warranty.

Question regarding the recall for Vanos bolts - My Z4 has always had a fairly loud tapping sound ( assume valves) when the engine is cold at idle RPM. Sounds like marbles bouncing on a plastic plate. No performance problem and once engine is warm, engine quiets. Curious if you experienced a similar sound and if the work on the Vanos bolts addressed this problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
fisherman
Private
Rep

I wouldn't say I had a loud tapping- maybe just some minor chatter when first starting up, but quickly goes away. I assumed this was normal- had it on other cars when engine is cold. I just picked up the car this afternoon so I think the engine was warm when I got it from the dealer. Didn't notice any difference in sound.
Dealer said bolts were tight on my engine when they inspected it so no problems.
That's interesting that your dealer did some of these items at 3 years . Did you ask for them to be done, or did the dealer volunteer ? You have less mileage than me, so computer shouldn't have treated the cars differently ....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
fisherman
Private
Rep

Also, my dealer had said they wouldn't do a 4 year free oil change because you had to wait a full calendar year from the last oil change for BMW to pick up the cost, when the change is due to time rather than mileage. Each year, I had to wait for the 12 month date, so the 4th oil change comes after the 48 month free service date. If anyone has experienced something different, let me know....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
mac-z4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

All service noted was performed by dealer per their schedule. If I remember correctly, the first annual oil change was done a couple of weeks prior first year anniversary. Therefore I was able to get the 4th one just prior to the warranty expiring. To date the dealer has been very cooperative and customer friendly.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I never understood why you would replace the micro-filter in a convertible. Flushing the brake fluid is quite important though. I also have them clean the air filter occasionally, they just do it using high pressure air.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 10-05-2014 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I just picked up my 2011 in August and it only had about two months left on the original warranty/covered service. Luckily the last oil change was done before it was a full year so my recent one was covered (just barely). It is a CPO car with about 10k miles now and it has always been on the time based oil change schedule. The brake fluid and microfilter were done before I purchased the car, which according to the service history was two years since they were last done. The dealer I bought it from could not do the oil for free however until I waited another month to hit a full year. So it seems they are strict about service dates, but at least I made it in and the local dealer had a loaner for me and did the wiper blades too, so it was pretty painless. At the prices you were quoted, I would skip the microfilter, but do the brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
fisherman
Private
Rep

does anyone know what a " standard scope " is ( $65 ) ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

“The BMW Standard Scope is a standard diagnostics check of the vehicle. This checks for faults in the vehicle’s components and computer systems. If diagnostics are not performed when the proper performance of any of the vehicle’s components or computer systems are in question, further damage can occur. A standard scope can also be used to ensure the vehicle is performing properly.”

Google is your friend. Try it some time.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0