New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #45
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Fi50 is best suited for some to drive in select regions of this country.
But is it necessary to make it a point of discussion?
Highest Regards
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #46
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Pilot
Fi50 is best suited for some to drive in select regions of this country.
But is it necessary to make it a point of discussion?
Highest Regards
Why not make it a point of discussion? Had I only stated I purchased another vehicle, or a different type of vehicle, that would have invoked questions from others asking what I purchased, etc.... The F150 can be driven in any region or area, just as any car or truck could. If I lived in Chicago, I would drive the F150. The first thing I would do would be to fill it up with my belongings (well, family) and get the hell out of Chicago!!!

Secondly, I totally disagree with your statement, and would venture the F150 is more capable of being driven in more regions than the Z4. I will only site weather conditions, ground clearance with significant snow or water, as an example.

I thought it was necessary to make the above statement a point of my discussion/reply, the same way you felt compelled to make a point, well, you didn't make a point, you simply had to share some ignorance on your perspective of where a vehicle could or could not be driven, although flawed.

Best regards, really!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #47
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

If all was right in the world, the vans, SUVs, and pickup trucks would be fined when they are not full of humans or 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Two favorite quotes:

(from movie Over The Hedge)
RJ: That is an S.U.V; Humans ride in them because they are slowly losing their ability to walk.
Penny: Jeepers, its so big!
Lou: How many humans fit in there?
RJ: Usually, one.

Ferrari:
We will never build an SUV.

There's nothing wrong with the OP's writing about his F150, except he thought he was amongst friends.

Last edited by z4z4z4; 02-04-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

I was thinking that it was the rather silly repeated claims of greater utility in the truck over the Z4. They are obvious and known to anyone that's ever bought a 2-seat car, let alone a convertible. Given the common knowledge aspect of the argument there's really no point in making it.

Unfortunately, it also serves to shine a light on the form over function decision that we've all made. In one way or another, we likely all fought an internal battle over how we'd justify something that is so very non-utility, non-need based. Its an emotional choice, a choice for fun over sensibilities. For some that battle wasn't an overwhelming victory on the part of the Z. The look at all the things I can do with a more reasonable vehicle can be quite annoying for someone that already slayed those demons.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #49
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox
I was thinking that it was the rather silly repeated claims of greater utility in the truck over the Z4. They are obvious and known to anyone that's ever bought a 2-seat car, let alone a convertible. Given the common knowledge aspect of the argument there's really no point in making it.

Unfortunately, it also serves to shine a light on the form over function decision that we've all made. In one way or another, we likely all fought an internal battle over how we'd justify something that is so very non-utility, non-need based. Its an emotional choice, a choice for fun over sensibilities. For some that battle wasn't an overwhelming victory on the part of the Z. The look at all the things I can do with a more reasonable vehicle can be quite annoying for someone that already slayed those demons.
Repeated silly claims?? You a funny man!!!

As far as "emotional" choices, I never made such. I knew when I bought the Z last January it's limitations in terms of utility. I'm not new to sports cars, or two seat convertibles, having owned more than most on this forum ever will, it's a simple fact.

My only "sin" was not simply purchasing the Z as an additional vehicle at the time, as I do need a truck more than occasionally for a variety of tasks and reasons. Using my son's truck meant putting him in one of my vehicles, and, uh, that wasn't an option.

And as stated, I drove the Z as my dd for a year, I needed variety, thus, those that do drive the Z daily, have my respect!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #50
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
If all was right in the world, the vans, SUVs, and pickup trucks would be fined when they are not full of humans or 4x8 sheets of plywood.

There's nothing wrong with the OP's writing about his F150, except he thought he was amongst friends.
Why should a truck have to be full of humans or plywood to be allow on the road without being subjected to fines? I'm averaging 4 miles per gallon less in the truck than the Z, and probably getting equal to or greater than some folks with Z's, as I best recall some of the posts a while back on the subject of Z4 MPG.

There was nothing wrong with my post period, perhaps with the exception I could or should have worded it a little better. I never thought I was amongst friends, it is a forum..... and opinions differ.

I drove the Z today, top down, beautiful day in Houston, 80F, perfect!!! I could have driven the truck, but it was covered with pollen........
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #51
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
I'm not new to sports cars, or two seat convertibles, having owned more than most on this forum ever will, it's a simple fact.

and I was starting to wonder where BMW drivers got their reputation

j/k
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #52
bmwz4pr
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Wow,I got beat in here for driving my beater Corolla to work. Let me add a few more reasons to doing so. At my work I don't have the luxury of picking a parking spot, I'm assigned to one. There is an old pickup truck at one side and an SUV on the other side of my assigned spot. I work in a shipyard, so some overspray painting in your car is the norm. Unless I bring my car and put a cover on it (looking kind of anal for the rest of the people in there) I can not avoid that paint overspray. I know I will live once and also want to enjoy my car but I don't want to give it any unnecessary wear if I don't have too. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Hey, I have a great idea for a new thread: "I drive a Z4 and my other car is crap, it's a ... " and we all tell which other cars we drive!

If you have only a Z4, well, something in your life must have gone horribly wrong and you can't post!

</sarcasmoff>
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #54
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl
Hey, I have a great idea for a new thread: "I drive a Z4 and my other car is crap, it's a ... " and we all tell which other cars we drive!

If you have only a Z4, well, something in your life must have gone horribly wrong and you can't post!

&lt;/sarcasmoff>
No, I'm probably heading over to the Rolex forum and post about my latest watch purchase, a Citizens Eco Drive watch. I'm sure I will take some abuse, because really, you don't really need more than one watch, right!!!

However, as I will be traveling to some global regions (not Chicago but just as scary!!!) during the next two weeks, and figured I would best less likely to lose my hand if I wore a less expensive watch..... I'm certain those Rolex purists will bash me nonetheless!!!! ðŸ˜
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #55
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
I'm not new to sports cars, or two seat convertibles, having owned more than most on this forum ever will, it's a simple fact.

and I was starting to wonder where BMW drivers got their reputation

j/k
Yep, does the BMW reputation allow me to humbly state I got a little pissy? Where is shah269 when you need someone to take the heat for you I ask?

My point was I've owned a ton of vehicles, many, many of which were sports cars. I don't need someone to tell me I'm a duffus if I decide to own AND DRIVE additional vehicles, whatever type they may be. I enjoy driving the Z4, and not getting behind the wheel in it everyday makes it all the more enjoyable to me now when I do take it to the office, or shopping, or wherever.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #56
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Quote:
Yep, does the BMW reputation allow me to humbly state I got a little pissy? Where is shah269 when you need someone to take the heat for you I ask?

My point was I've owned a ton of vehicles, many, many of which were sports cars. I don't need someone to tell me I'm a duffus if I decide to own AND DRIVE additional vehicles, whatever type they may be. I enjoy driving the Z4, and not getting behind the wheel in it everyday makes it all the more enjoyable to me now when I do take it to the office, or shopping, or wherever.
Nobody is calling you a duffus for owning and driving something else... nor is anyone questioning your knowledge of (or ability to own) lots of cars, BMW or otherwise.

My comments above were more geared to "why" you aren't seeing a productive conversation about all of the virtues of alternative vehicles. Brother, your points are obvious (and for that reason, I used the word "silly"). However, when some one starts a thread with "The new F150 is, in one word - everything, the Z4 is not" on a Z4 enthusiast board, you'd have to expect that it will not be met with a cozy pow-wow. For better or worse, it can and will be seen by some as an attack on the focus of their enthusiasm.

YAY TRUCKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #57
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
everyone is at least polite enough, im actually impressed by the amount of rational thoughts traded here, now imagine the whole thing on a vtech forum. im sure grammar would be a lot worse.
      03-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #58
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No, I'm probably heading over to the Rolex forum and post about my latest watch purchase, a Citizens Eco Drive watch. I'm sure I will take some abuse, because really, you don't really need more than one watch, right!!!
That is such a funny parallel because you can "daily drive" a Rolex as easily as daily driving a Z4...

Last edited by nicknaz; 03-20-2013 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #59
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
That is such a funny parallel because you can "daily drive" a Rolex as easily as daily driving a Z4...
I thought it was relevant, the Citizen watch is an Eco-Drive!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #60
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

LOL, I can see why the tone has degraded somewhat in this thread. C'mon, OP, your 1st post was a 'bit' of a shot (unintentional, of course, since you own one as well) to our beloved Z4. "Z has now been relegated to the weekend or getaway vehicle, as it should have been from day one"...you know how the internet is, reading that, it just sounds like the Z is pretty much a useless vehicle and at best a 'third vehicle' category for most households...again, of course you don't mean to say that, just that there are some times more utility in using another vehicle (the Ford, as you've mentioned).

I'm just saying that the Z4 has very good everyday usability. Heck, it's my only car but I get along just fine. Would a, say, Camry be 'better' for everyday use? Sure in some aspects (better fuel mileage, can store more stuff, don't have to worry about getting door dings as much, etc), but it definitely won't make my drive more enjoyable.

For what we pay in Canada for a Z4, I probably could have gotten a still very nice vehicle plus a daily beater, but I still rather put it all in one really nice car...plus the fact I live in a condo w/ only 1 carspot

I get OP's point, just wanted to give another viewpoint, i.e. the Z does just fine as an "everyday drive".

Last edited by tranquility; 03-20-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #61
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Ah ah, love it! Let's create that thread!

I am sure I will win at this game! 15 years old rust car.
However I don't daily drive that crap, I keep it in my indoor parking space under a cover and will only use it for weekends, Spring/Summer
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #62
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Wow! 61 responses to this thread and Still Growing. Now the 3rd or 4th largest thread out of the last 60. Together we can make it to 100 responses.....yes we can....yes we can.

We need help... or maybe it's just me.

Someone please
///
      04-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #63
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #64
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Man this thread and OP, lots of win here. Some quote-worthy LULz from OP across the board.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #65
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Man this thread and OP, lots of win here. Some quote-worthy LULz from OP across the board.
And you felt compelled to make your own comment, thereby, keeping this thread alive.

Go ahead, be my guest, share some wonderful words of wisdom with the world... Make it personal.....
Appreciate 0