New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Boston Trip

Headed to Boston this Weekend with my wife and a couple of friends.

Anyone have recommendations on where to eat, drink or anything that's a can't miss while we're there?
We like all food and prefer breweries/bars over clubs.

We're staying in Back Bay and will be going to the Red Sox game on Saturday.

I've been scouring trip advisor and other travel websites but would like to hear from locals or from those that have visited.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Hey I am a local and have lived within 15 minutes of Boston my whole life. I can answer any or at least most questions you have.

As far as breweries Sam Adams brewery is our most popular. I also highly recommend harpoon brewery especially since they are located at the end of the seaport area and it's walkable from many other nice restaurants and things to do. Also a walk from seaport is the "Lawn on D." It's a pretty good outdoor area that serves alcohol and sometimes has live music, swings, Cornhole games, etc..

There are tons of old bars and Irish pubs all over the city. Trillium is the favorite beer company of many of my friends. I don't believe their Boston location has a bar though. You may be able to get it while you are out at another bar.

The back Bay is a nice area and you can easily walk to Boston common. I would say that is a must do while visiting the city. Fenway will give you a good feel for this old city.

I'm not much of a foodie so I don't have too much to recommend in that department. The North end is close to TD garden and fanuiel hall. In the north end you can get authentic Italian food that's great. Fanuiel hall is more of a touristy area with street performers and tons of shops inside Quincy marketplace. There isn't too much right next to TD garden besides a few bars. It's just a short walk from fanuiel hall though if you decide to go. City hall is also right there but not much to see. It's actually quite ugly.

If you use this link or Google Boston event calendar you can find alot of things going on specific to that weekend, festivals, parades, fireworks, whatever it may be.
https://www.thebostoncalendar.com/?&...2018&weekend=1

If you post some ideas or things you would like to see or do I can help more
Appreciate 1
hz_diesel192.00
      05-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
E30M3Brill
E90 ZCP 6MT, E92 LimeRock DCT, E30 M3
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Visit Night Shift Brewing in Everett, MA - excellent stuff...
      05-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

Harpoon Brewery - Seaport
Trilium Brewery - various locations but I go to the one in Canton, they have a Boston location too
Tree House Brewery - this one is far, located in Grafton MA but it is extremely good. There is always a line and usually sells out

North End Resturants
Lobster Roll - Neptunes but personally I like Tony's Clam Shop in Quincy, MA by the beach.
Italian Food - Giacamo's
Mike's Pastries or Modern Pastries for some good cannoli

Backbay Area
Top of the hub - Overrated but good view if you just go up to grab a drink
Walburger (near fenway) - Overrated as well imo
Boston Burger Co - Burgers are pretty massive here
Sunset Cantina - More than 100 beers on tap (if I remember correctly)
Eataly Boston has been a recent tourist attraction, food was good when I checked it out last time

I'll post more if I can think of anything
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Hey I am a local and have lived within 15 minutes of Boston my whole life. I can answer any or at least most questions you have.

As far as breweries Sam Adams brewery is our most popular. I also highly recommend harpoon brewery especially since they are located at the end of the seaport area and it's walkable from many other nice restaurants and things to do. Also a walk from seaport is the "Lawn on D." It's a pretty good outdoor area that serves alcohol and sometimes has live music, swings, Cornhole games, etc..

There are tons of old bars and Irish pubs all over the city. Trillium is the favorite beer company of many of my friends. I don't believe their Boston location has a bar though. You may be able to get it while you are out at another bar.

The back Bay is a nice area and you can easily walk to Boston common. I would say that is a must do while visiting the city. Fenway will give you a good feel for this old city.

I'm not much of a foodie so I don't have too much to recommend in that department. The North end is close to TD garden and fanuiel hall. In the north end you can get authentic Italian food that's great. Fanuiel hall is more of a touristy area with street performers and tons of shops inside Quincy marketplace. There isn't too much right next to TD garden besides a few bars. It's just a short walk from fanuiel hall though if you decide to go. City hall is also right there but not much to see. It's actually quite ugly.

If you use this link or Google Boston event calendar you can find alot of things going on specific to that weekend, festivals, parades, fireworks, whatever it may be.
https://www.thebostoncalendar.com/?&...2018&weekend=1

If you post some ideas or things you would like to see or do I can help more
i lived in boston for a while, you cant get better Italian food than the north end. Seafood pastas, oysters, lobster rolls, AMAZING. my go to was Panza, then over to cafe vittoria for dessert and coffee/hot chocolate.

back bay has a lot of good restaurants as well.

Whenever i would have people in town, i would do this:
Start your walk at the Boston library. walk all the way down newberry street (its like their 5th ave) to boston common and then over to fen hall, then into north end.
      05-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Brill View Post
Visit Night Shift Brewing in Everett, MA - excellent stuff...
If he enjoys Disney land sized lines to wait in lol

Get some honey buffalo wings from Whiskeys on Boylston St for lunch
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

North End for Italian food - it's not far from the Back Bay:

Dinner - Mamma Maria's in North Square, or Il Panino on Parmenter St.

Mamma's is more formal - Il Panino is less so.

Dessert - Mike's Pastries for Cannoli - it's on Hanover St.

Seafood - any of the Legal Seafood restaurants are always good

Durgin Park - old, old tourist spot, with notoriously cranky wait staff - but can be fun.

Do the Freedom Trail - starts in the North End - it's a 3 mile walking trail. Fascinating history all along it, and ends at USS Constitution - oldest naval ship (tall ship).

Don't rent a car - it's useless - just uber or lyft
      05-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
https://www.yelp.com/biz/alive-and-k...ters-cambridge

Alive and Kicking Lobsters
269 Putnam at River Street
Cambridge
42°21'44.9"N 71°06'49.5"W
617-876-0451

Fantastic Lobster Sandwich
Appreciate 1
shmad111.50
      05-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Another vote for North End. Maybe New England Aquarium. Cambridge can be interesting to see.

Also agree on not renting car. Plan on walking / using car service.
      05-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Don’t do the aquarium! Over priced for what it is. You could try Codzilla if you want a fun ride
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
One other thing...whoever laid out the street grid in Boston took the brown acid.
Appreciate 1
shmad111.50
      05-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post

Durgin Park - old, old tourist spot, with notoriously cranky wait staff - but can be fun.
I catch grief every time I recommend that place. I just recommended it to a colleague who was there last week, but his inlaws didn't think it had good Yelp ratings, so they wouldn't agree to go. I know the place has no atmosphere, but the food was awesome last time I was there and the portions were immense. I never miss a chance to eat there when I'm in Boston.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw2393.50
      05-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
How's the city during the 4th of July? I have a 9 hour layover on the 4th and definitely dont want to be stuck in the terminal. What do you think are some quick and easy things to do? Also most efficient method of transport to/from the airport....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
How's the city during the 4th of July? I have a 9 hour layover on the 4th and definitely dont want to be stuck in the terminal. What do you think are some quick and easy things to do? Also most efficient method of transport to/from the airport....
Blue line Train runs right to the airport into the city
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Coast2Coast
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 - BMW 328d

If you want to go a little off the beaten path take a harbor taxi over to the East Boston shipyards. There is lots of outdoor public art and several bars and restaurants interspersed in the shipyards and nearby Maverick square. KO pies is fun and they serve local beer on tap. There is also at least one new brewery there too.

In the same spirit a harbor taxi (or harbor ferry) can take you over to Charlestown to see the naval ships on display. Old Ironsides and corvettes etc. there are also ferries ou to the harbor islands and whale watching.

The Seaport Innovation district is also coming alive (South Boston just across the bridges at Fort Point Channel). Many new bars and restaurants and an entertainment complex (bowling alley theatres etc). Lots of street life there now too. And flagship shops much like Newbury St.

For shopping and people watching Newbury and Boylston st are great. And on the commons you can take a Swan boat ride if you’re nostalgic for history (if you have kids the make way for ducklings statues in the commons is fun too).

Boston also has a food trucks thing going on- you can google to find out which trucks are where.

There are so many things to do come to think of it! I should get off my computer and get out more!

From East Boston
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #16
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

I definitely concur with the recommendations on the North end. Start and Hanover St. and just stroll around until you see something you like. Hard to go wrong with any of the restaurants there.

In Back Bay, my all time favorite restaurant is Coda. If you can make it over there, I promise you will not be disappointed! http://www.codaboston.com/index.htm

Hit the Boston Commons if the weather is nice and stroll across to Newberry St. Good shopping and people watching there.

Someone mentioned Mikes Pastries on Hanover. They are good but I think Modern Pastries, also on Hanover, is better. They are a block apart so check them both out and you decide! After the trip to Modern, duck into Cafe Paradiso next door for an espresso. Also in the N. End and just around the corner from Hanover is Bacco. Excellent food there as well. http://www.bacconorthend.com

Finally, it's kinda cheesy, but consider a duck boat tour. Great history about the city and a fun way to see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

Wow, tons of great info you guys! Thanks!

Our must do's are a Red Sox game, Freedom Trail, Boston Commons and lobster rolls. So the information you all gave will definitely help us put a rough itinerary together for the few days we'll be there.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to eat around Fenway before the game on Saturday?

Warren Tavern was recommended to me. Any good?

Trillium Garden on the Greenway?

Last edited by thegump; 05-22-2018 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #18
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

There's plenty of great food at the game mate
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #19
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post

Seafood - any of the Legal Seafood restaurants are always good

Nice to see some things haven't changed. We ate at Legals when it was a hole in the wall in Inman Sq. I still remember waiting in line at Durgin Park. The line went through the kitchen and you got to watch the guy take baked potatoes out of the oven and smash them on the corner to bust them open. I don't think that corner had been cleaned since Paul Revere was in town. College days, a long time ago.
Appreciate 1
bbbbmw2393.50