New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

About to be out of warranty - any advice?

So nearing the end of coverage and wondering what advice you guys have in terms of what to expect for maintenance costs and any unforeseen repairs, or have your cars been great after the warranty has expired? I'm wondering if it's worth it to get extended coverage or what other preparations should I do?

Another issue is that I've only been changing the oil according to BMW's schedule (20,000kms/~12,000 miles), which I understand is rubbish and changes should be done at 1/2 that interval - I intend to do that now, but is there anything I should do to make up for the past long internals (e.g. use an oil addictive, engine cleaner, STP product, etc?).

For reference, my car is 2 yrs old and almost 80,000kms (~49,700 miles).

Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Hi! You may want to consider having the fuel system and head decoke using one of the companies who do this system ($100), I have seen some real evidence on programmes as to its effectiveness, it does seem the longer you leave it then the harder it is to get all the crap out understandably. I would consider changing the Diff oil as it is easy and maybe the transmission fluid (no such thing as lifetime oil). I would also consider a spark plug change again they say 100k, but 50K is good, remember you want to get the benefits of this cost!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

So what, you only get 3 years maintenance / warranty in Canada? No one in the US has burned through their warranty period yet as this car came out in 2009 and we get 4 years. I would email Mike Miller who writes the tech column for Roundel and ask him to send you his maintenance schedule. It'll show you what to change and when to change it. It's an excellent resource. techtalk@roundel.org.

Outside of that, things eventually break and wear out and they're expensive to fix. But I think after 3 years the bugs have been fixed and we're looking at normal wear and tear of parts. My strategy is to set aside a couple of hundred dollars every month to a repair account. When my warranty period is over, I'll have $9600 to use towards repairs. That's probably not enough! (I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
Z4-2023 Mike
Z4 Mike
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2023 Z4/M40i  [0.00]
After market warranty is one answer. The other is gamble and how you pay less than such a warranty. But keep in mind BMW maintenance and repairs of even the simplest nature cost big $$$. Think how long you may keep the car. If you have a $1200 bill every 2 years for some strange thing, may be better to do a warranty and not scrimp. Since I could see owning for ~10 years, I bought a 6 yr, transferrable, extended warranty when I bought my Z4 2010 when I realized how complex the roof mechanism is! One slipped gear there and look out! My $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
So what, you only get 3 years maintenance / warranty in Canada? No one in the US has burned through their warranty period yet as this car came out in 2009 and we get 4 years. I would email Mike Miller who writes the tech column for Roundel and ask him to send you his maintenance schedule. It'll show you what to change and when to change it. It's an excellent resource. techtalk@roundel.org.

Outside of that, things eventually break and wear out and they're expensive to fix. But I think after 3 years the bugs have been fixed and we're looking at normal wear and tear of parts. My strategy is to set aside a couple of hundred dollars every month to a repair account. When my warranty period is over, I'll have $9600 to use towards repairs. That's probably not enough! (I plan on keeping this car for as long as possible).
Thx for the email addy, I'll make sure to contact him.

We get 4 yrs/80,000kms, so I'm almost over the mileage part. I don't know if they have warranty that is better in the mileage part and not in the time part.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Thx for the email addy, I'll make sure to contact him.

We get 4 yrs/80,000kms, so I'm almost over the mileage part. I don't know if they have warranty that is better in the mileage part and not in the time part.
You clearly drive a lot more than I do. I put on about 8000 miles a year because I put it away in the winter. So a warranty for me doesn't make sense - I'd burn through it on time rather than mileage.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven333
Hi! You may want to consider having the fuel system and head decoke using one of the companies who do this system ($100), I have seen some real evidence on programmes as to its effectiveness, it does seem the longer you leave it then the harder it is to get all the crap out understandably. I would consider changing the Diff oil as it is easy and maybe the transmission fluid (no such thing as lifetime oil). I would also consider a spark plug change again they say 100k, but 50K is good, remember you want to get the benefits of this cost!!!
WRT (assuming we're taking automatic) transmission fluid, I always thought it was hydraulic fluid rather than oil. With the transmission being a closed system, IMHO there shouldn't be a need to replace it unless you've had some other transmission problem that's contaminated it or caused it to burn.
      07-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
nickm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White

Just top up the warranty...peace of mind is a lovely thing to have
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atebit View Post
WRT (assuming we're taking automatic) transmission fluid, I always thought it was hydraulic fluid rather than oil. With the transmission being a closed system, IMHO there shouldn't be a need to replace it unless you've had some other transmission problem that's contaminated it or caused it to burn.
Transmission is definitely oil lubricated and there is no mechanical device in a car that doesn't benefit from changing the lubrication. It's not a closed system...the oil is easily drained like anything else. We all know why BMW recommends a lifetime fill on various parts, but that's not in your best interests if you're keeping it for a long time.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Transmission is definitely oil lubricated and there is no mechanical device in a car that doesn't benefit from changing the lubrication. It's not a closed system...the oil is easily drained like anything else. We all know why BMW recommends a lifetime fill on various parts, but that's not in your best interests if you're keeping it for a long time.
J, check this out :
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ight=dct+fluid

I changed the diff ''oil'' at around 17.000km and - you guessed it - it did not look ''lifetime'' at all.

@ tranquillity : Sorry for this ''attack'' but you have been complaining about problems, and rattles, and dealer service, and warranty issues, and keep posting threads after threads, you truly remind me of Rolf D and his 296 rapsody, BUT you drive the shit out of your car, I suppose it's your dd, you demand others to warranty your car yet you couldn't spend a few hundred bucks to add a couple of oil changes and drop the spark plugs at 60.000 km? Really?
I 'm not inside your pocket, mate, but this should be your warranty backup in the first place and since you are planning to keep your car the responsible thing to do. You might turn your 2 years warranty period free meal into a salty desert.

Sorry in advance if you find my opinion offensive, I didn't intend to be rude or anything, it's just my ,02.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
@ tranquillity : Sorry for this ''attack'' but you have been complaining about problems, and rattles, and dealer service, and warranty issues, and keep posting threads after threads, you truly remind me of Rolf D and his 296 rapsody, BUT you drive the shit out of your car, I suppose it's your dd, you demand others to warranty your car yet you couldn't spend a few hundred bucks to add a couple of oil changes and drop the spark plugs at 60.000 km? Really?
I 'm not inside your pocket, mate, but this should be your warranty backup in the first place and since you are planning to keep your car the responsible thing to do. You might turn your 2 years warranty period free meal into a salty desert.

Sorry in advance if you find my opinion offensive, I didn't intend to be rude or anything, it's just my ,02.
Umm, it is offensive to compare me to Rolf's tirade re his 296s: he kept going on and on even after he changed his car! When did I go off w/o end? Gimme a break...

Also, what do you mean "...demand others to warranty your car..."??? Warranty is warranty, period. Any dealer should cover any legit claim. My threads/posts have pointed out some legitimate issues w/ the car, so no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not as car-inclined as many of you, so didn't know that I should change the oil and spark plugs @x km and was going by the scheduled changes, but I'm learning.

You didn't mean to be rude but did it anyway, how ironic. Your last 2 sentences is just craziness and damn tactless.
Appreciate 0