New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

07 M Coupe to E89

Anyone here come from an M Coupe to an E89 (35I)? Thinking about making the jump, but am not sold. I would love a convertible for the summer months, but the 07 M Coupe has been bulletproof. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

I'm currently driving an unmodded 2012 35i with m-sport, and I've auto-x'd a e86 M Coupe a few times.
First thing I'll say is test drive one... and test drive one with some 'spirited' driving where you can start to see the differences.

I won't comment on differences in looks, technology, or luxury, but for the driving stuff:

The N54 engine is by far the highlight - turbo lab is very small (and not noticeable when driving at speed...). The low-end torque is phenomenal, and IMO gives the engine much better daily-drivability. You don't have to rev it out like the S54 to get into the power band. Having said that, I never feel like I'm rewarded any more by revving it that last 1k/500 RPM to redline like I was in the e86.

The suspension is good but it's not an M suspension. The car is heavier and you'll definitely notice the weight; the e89 doesn't transition through quick turns as easily as the e86 M... it almost feels like there's some reluctance. The ride is also hurt by RFTs... but you prob already knew that.

The steering is my biggest complaint (after the suspension). The EPS is good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't come close to providing the feedback you'd get from earlier non-EPS / M models. Around town and daily it's just fantastic and feels weighted perfectly. When driven hard (especially on the twisties), it just starts feeling more and more artificial. The weighting gets weird, and the numb feedback starts to hurt your confidence in the turn... I can put the car where I want to go... but I can't tell how my tires are weighted/gripping like I could in my old Z3, or the few times I drove the e86.

I drive a 6-spd, and IMO the clutch is a bit too light for my tastes... but only by a very small amount. I'm sure most other folk will find it fantastic - but it's not an M clutch. My gearbox also feels more clunky then my old Z3 or from what I remember driving the e86 - sometimes it doesn't like going into reverse - but I'm going to chalk that up to having only 12k miles on the e89. I'm sure it'll get smoother over time and with some gearbox fluid changes.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my e89. It looks fantastic, feels more daily drivable and less high strung then the e86, and is overall just a great car. It also feels like a solid coupe when the roof is up, and looks absolutely amazing when it's down. Really, the cockpit is just a nice place to be.

I'll just say despite all of it's fantastic-ness, it's not as hard core as the e86 M. That's all. Such a shame there will never be an e89 M model... If you're in love with your e86's handling as an M car, you'll probably be disappointed in the e89. If that's not your primary concern, and daily driving + having a convertible takes priority, then you'll probably love it.

Anyway, I really love both, and I'm planning to pick up a M Coupe sometime in the next year or so for dedicated track/auto-x duty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I can't comment on the M coupe, but getting a convertible is dangerous for at least one reason. You may become addicted to it. I personally drive top-down all-year, and I miss it when I can't. I did not know it would be so much fun before I tried it.

You may also end up like most convertible-owners, and drive 99% of the time with the roof up. If you do not like attention from other road-users, a convertible isn't for you. And you may think that its best for sunny days, but in fact its even nicer when its cloudy and not too hot.

Either way you have made the wrong choice. Because it is unlikely that BMW M will produce an "affordable" convertible that you would like to own anytime soon. The Z4 will probably be the "light-weight" alternative to any M convertible for years. When tuned and fitted with non-RFT, it will probably even match the next M4 convertible. So you will become rather stuck with it.

PS since you are now driving an M coupe, I recommend you test drive both the adaptive and non-adaptive suspension Z4s with 18" wheels. I believe they both come with M sport stiffer suspension as well. That makes a total of 4 suspension options, and you need to be careful what you select, especially if you plan to ditch the non-RFTs. For example the M-sport suspension combined with 19" wheels may feel wrong with RFTs but feel exactly right for non-RFTs. As an M coupe owner, if you currently drive alot with DSC off you may also want to know that the adaptive suspension is not adjustable with DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I can't comment on the M coupe, but getting a convertible is dangerous for at least one reason. You may become addicted to it. I personally drive top-down all-year, and I miss it when I can't. I did not know it would be so much fun before I tried it.

You may also end up like most convertible-owners, and drive 99% of the time with the roof up. If you do not like attention from other road-users, a convertible isn't for you. And you may think that its best for sunny days, but in fact its even nicer when its cloudy and not too hot.

Either way you have made the wrong choice. Because it is unlikely that BMW M will produce an "affordable" convertible that you would like to own anytime soon. The Z4 will probably be the "light-weight" alternative to any M convertible for years. When tuned and fitted with non-RFT, it will probably even match the next M4 convertible. So you will become rather stuck with it.

PS since you are now driving an M coupe, I recommend you test drive both the adaptive and non-adaptive suspension Z4s with 18" wheels. I believe they both come with M sport stiffer suspension as well. That makes a total of 4 suspension options, and you need to be careful what you select, especially if you plan to ditch the non-RFTs. For example the M-sport suspension combined with 19" wheels may feel wrong with RFTs but feel exactly right for non-RFTs. As an M coupe owner, if you currently drive alot with DSC off you may also want to know that the adaptive suspension is not adjustable with DSC off.
Spot on! I couldn't have said it better if I tried. The Z4 35i is a very capable beast after a few small tweaks. The run-flats has to go. Give it a tune and you'd be stuck on never finding a better and more drivable roadster. Track performance isn't bad either, loads of fun throwing the weight around. It's not as sensitive as the M cars around a track, but it will out perform a lot of cars you wouldn't think to be on the kill list. I honestly wish I can keep this thing forever.
      03-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I think it all depends on how badly you really want the hardtop convertible roof.

That's the E89's "killer app" and if you aren't sold, its probably not the right car for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't track the M, so handling at the limits isn't such a concern. That said, positive, consistent feedback is important.

Just test drove a E89 35i. Feel every bit as fast as the M, and the handling was good enough. I definitely smiled when I put down the top (in 30 degree weather with light flurries .

My conclusion is that the E89 would be great for me...now I just have to decide if I can come to terms with having to part ways with the M.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by towski1 View Post
Anyone here come from an M Coupe to an E89 (35I)? Thinking about making the jump, but am not sold. I would love a convertible for the summer months, but the 07 M Coupe has been bulletproof. Thoughts?
I came (2 1/2 years ago) from a e46 to a e89 35i and loved it. Went back to a e92 since the 296 wheels cracked on me. I loved the e89 and may return to one or wait for the 2014/2015 complete new Z4 generation ... I will however, make sure it does not have 296 type wheels and no RFT

EDIT; I guess you meant an e86 M Z Coupe and not a e46 M Coupe ... my bad

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-06-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I definitely smiled when I put down the top (in 30 degree weather with light flurries .
That's all you need to know! go buy one immediately!

Negotiate hard when you are shopping for your Z because there are great deals to be had (10th worst selling car in the US!)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Vbar
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
blschaefer1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive 30i

I owned an 07 M Coupe and now have a 2012 E89 35i. The e89 is just such an easier car to live with. It is my weekend driver, and I really don't miss the M Coupe at all. The N54's torque is instantly addicting versus having to wind the s54 out to get it in the powerband.

The adaptive suspension set in sport + still is nowhere near as firm as the M Coupe. For me that's ok, it still allows for very spirited driving though the canyons without beating you up everywhere else.

I also have become addicted to the DCT. I was never fond of the clutch engagement in the M Coupe. The interior finish is much nicer as well.

I have 19" 296 wheels and ditched the run flats after 150 miles. They just suck. If you make this move, you will want to do the same. Go for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They transform the handling in the car.

Oh, and push a button and 20 seconds later you have a gorgeous convertible
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blschaefer1 View Post
I owned an 07 M Coupe and now have a 2012 E89 35i. The e89 is just such an easier car to live with. It is my weekend driver, and I really don't miss the M Coupe at all. The N54's torque is instantly addicting versus having to wind the s54 out to get it in the powerband.

The adaptive suspension set in sport + still is nowhere near as firm as the M Coupe. For me that's ok, it still allows for very spirited driving though the canyons without beating you up everywhere else.

I also have become addicted to the DCT. I was never fond of the clutch engagement in the M Coupe. The interior finish is much nicer as well.

I have 19" 296 wheels and ditched the run flats after 150 miles. They just suck. If you make this move, you will want to do the same. Go for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They transform the handling in the car.

Oh, and push a button and 20 seconds later you have a gorgeous convertible
good choice in mods. Put the Z on a whole new level with just small changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, reached an agreement with the dealer today. Great trade value on my M and picked up a 2010 Z4 35i with under 14k miles. Silver on black. It does have the 296's, but no cracks at the moment. Dealer is respraying the front bumper for me before I take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, reached an agreement with the dealer today. Great trade value on my M and picked up a 2010 Z4 35i with under 14k miles. Silver on black. It does have the 296's, but no cracks at the moment. Dealer is respraying the front bumper for me before I take delivery.
Congrads man, and welcome to the family. haha.
      03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
Congrads man, and welcome to the family. haha.
Thanks. Can't wait to pick it up!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Picked up yesterday. 74 degrees and sunny...perfect day to take delivery of my first convertible. Now if only I could do something about the snow that is supposed to come tomorrow
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

One more for good measure...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Nice pics, you must be in heaven!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Congrats! You are going to love it!

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Silver on black, very dignified and classy. Enjoy, dude!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

it looks awesome!
Appreciate 0