New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Replacing rear brake pads

Any one replaced the rear brake pads. Could see a few problems as it looks like it needs to plugged into a computer to retract the pistons.
Any easy way to do the job?

Seen elsewhere might do it manually if piston screwed in clockwise, which makes some sense, perhaps release bleed nipple if excess fluid.
Anyone know what fluid is used.
Spotted this;

"Emergency Release"

"No parking brake emergency release function is provided for the customer. The parking brake can be released using the BMW diagnosis system or the EMF actuators are removed and the spindle is turned back manually"
Realise a lot of people on here are probably still using some service agreement they bought with the car, but now 3 years on they are in the second hand market so need to know some diy stuff.

Last edited by bigendbob; 08-03-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Any one replaced the rear brake pads. Could see a few problems as it looks like it needs to plugged into a computer to retract the pistons.
Any easy way to do the job?

Seen elsewhere might do it manually if piston screwed in clockwise, which makes some sense, perhaps release bleed nipple if excess fluid.
Anyone know what fluid is used.
Spotted this;

"Emergency Release"

"No parking brake emergency release function is provided for the customer. The parking brake can be released using the BMW diagnosis system or the EMF actuators are removed and the spindle is turned back manually"
Realise a lot of people on here are probably still using some service agreement they bought with the car, but now 3 years on they are in the second hand market so need to know some diy stuff.
Hi I like to do some of my own maintenance, eg brakes! I have even bought so parts in readiness for when the warranty ends> Even purchased rear brake pads - big oops as I realised I cannot do them as you need a code to release the cylinder, if you wind back the piston you damage it and if you don't code the car then it will not recognise the new pads!! I have looked all over for a DIY to no avail!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

Do BMW have any rear brakes that fit?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymdd View Post
Do BMW have any rear brakes that fit?
The issue is that you engage the parking brake with a switch, no handbrake or cables !! it is nigh on impossible to fit anything else....... where would you fit the handbrake?????
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

The code is only required to electrically back off the piston, hopefully if the motorgearbox is physically removed, the piston can be manually wound back, exactly what the motor would normally do. This is what it seems you do if you get an on street failure and lock up.
Again hopefully when the motor is reinstalled it drives the piston to its new position and basically stalls the motor, the current then drawn tells the motor via electronics to stop turning.
To release brake the electronics just tell the motor to turn for say 1/4 second and assume the pad has then released.

A friend that worked at Jaguar design tells me they perfected this type of system and would find out what they do.

Time will tell.
Appreciate 0