New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
What puzzles me is that the SLK isn't on the list (or maybe it's just number 11 worst selling car?). I would think that the Z4 and the SLK -- although quite different -- do appeal to the same clientel overall?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Still, yes, a bit surprised we 'outsold' the TT line.
I wonder if people are put off by the fact TT is heavily based on the Golf.

I know I personally discounted the TT as an expensive Golf (except for the TTRS which I think is awesome)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I wonder if people are put off by the fact TT is heavily based on the Golf.

I know I personally discounted the TT as an expensive Golf (except for the TTRS which I think is awesome)
Really? I don't know anything about the internals but it looks nothing like it externally (I generally don't like the looks of those squarish hatchbacks). The TTS is a very capable and nice-looking car but for the factors I've stated earlier, it just isn't enough car for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #26
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Jeremy Clarkson in his tt review says;

"...it's like a hair scrunchy thing for men."

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 01-14-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^LOL, c'mon, Lion King, that's the old one. The new one looks much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #28
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Really? I don't know anything about the internals but it looks nothing like it externally (I generally don't like the looks of those squarish hatchbacks). The TTS is a very capable and nice-looking car but for the factors I've stated earlier, it just isn't enough car for the money.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

"But if you consider the TT RS as the most powerful version of the $19,765 Volkswagen Golf upon which it is loosely based"

TT has transverse mounted engine due to its FWD based roots.

EDIT: FWD TT 2.0T is pretty much a nicer shaped GTi and the TTS is a nicer shaped Golf R

It must a pricing difference Canada vs. US because in the US the TTRS starting price is about the same as Z4 35i and my understanding is that the TTRS is a much better performance car than the Z4 35i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

"But if you consider the TT RS as the most powerful version of the $19,765 Volkswagen Golf upon which it is loosely based"

TT has transverse mounted engine due to its FWD based roots.

EDIT: FWD TT 2.0T is pretty much a nicer shaped GTi and the TTS is a nicer shaped Golf R

It must a pricing difference Canada vs. US because in the US the TTRS starting price is about the same as Z4 35i and my understanding is that the TTRS is a much better performance car than the Z4 35i
Meh, it doesn't look anything like a Golf; it's loosely-based, the Golf looks nasty imho and the TTS looks good.

As I said earlier, the North Amer mkt gets shortchanged as we only get the M/T (HUGE drop in acceleration, ~1sec!), so the performance gap is not that big vs the 35i. Also, it costs at least $4K more in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^LOL, c'mon, Lion King, that's the old one. The new one looks much better.
Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Watching that clip for the first time had me rolling on the floor while Jeremy fussed with his wardrobe.

Not sure if it's true but I've heard it said that Jeremy's comments can potentially impact a car's sales in the UK - good and bad.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #31
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Meh, it doesn't look anything like a Golf; it's loosely-based, . . .
+1

The Honda CRV is a good example of sharing or reusing the same technology or "platform" as they put it. This saves production costs from many vantage points including production start up times, tooling, etc. Originally, the CRV apparently shared the same platform as one of the Honda sedans, but you would never know it by looking at.

Until recently, Porsche used the "911" (in what ever variant it was at the time) front clip, doors and door frames for the Boxster. Now (finally) the Boxster has its own chassis, which is the natural progression. GM is proabley guilty of this practice more than any other manufacture.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I love the exclusivity and not seeing Z4's everywhere on the road. Usually after you buy a car you see them everywhere. I purchased my 2009 E89 in late Sept. I live near the Boston area and have yet to see another on Z on the road except at the dealership.
In my travel for work which takes me from ME to NYC, I have only seen 1 Gold Z in NYC on the road. Everyone looks at the car. Think of all the high end Porsches, MB, Audis, Bentleys, Ferrairs, etc you see everyday. Not the Z. Keep EM rare for me.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
well of course we made the list. Its a roadster that is for a certain kind of individual. Its certainly not for the masses. Thats part of the allure. You dont see yourself coming and going. Its the closest looking to what used to be my favorite car, the z8. Its one of the most beautiful roadsters out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
I now owned two of the most poorly sold BMW cars... The most gorgeous one and euh don't know how to describe the 5 GT. Just say it is useful. And I think they are absolutely best cars in their niche market. But it is a niche for a reason.
      01-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
I now owned two of the most poorly sold BMW cars... The most gorgeous one and euh don't know how to describe the 5 GT. Just say it is useful. And I think they are absolutely best cars in their niche market. But it is a niche for a reason.
Wow! Now I have to hi-jack this tread! A person who both owned a 5GT, AND a Z4. So, since you obviously have a good taste, please explain again, why it is that a person gets a 5GT instead of a 5-series sports wagon, an X5 suv or, dare I say it, the alternatives from Audi and Benz? What is it that this car can that people like me don't know?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
Wow! Now I have to hi-jack this tread! A person who both owned a 5GT, AND a Z4. So, since you obviously have a good taste, please explain again, why it is that a person gets a 5GT instead of a 5-series sports wagon, an X5 suv or, dare I say it, the alternatives from Audi and Benz? What is it that this car can that people like me don't know?
Just looked at the numbers and it seems the 5GT is not selling that poorly worldwide. It is just very bad in the US.
Wow many questions: For one the 5 wagon is no longer sold in the US. I was looking at an E61 but then could not feel any excitement about getting one. I despise the ride of the X5/X6 and I find them ugly. I even considered a new X3 but really no the look is too goofy and there is something about them that screams truck. Now the alternatives, I have owned an Audi Q5 and although it is a good looking car, I did not like the servicing and I found a few design quirks on it that have made me go away from it. I don't like the super soft steering feel. I have learned to drive an on Audi, but once I drove a beemer, it is hard to go back. And the A7 is smaller and although gorgeous from the front, it is ugly from the back.
As for Mercedes, I never considered one. In general I don't like their looks.
The 5GT appeared to be the best compromise for me. It could definitely use a redesign to make the nostrils smaller and refine the look but it is practical and rides like a beemer.
      02-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Wow, my mind has been expanded. What a great start of the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #38
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep

Garage List
Is that a good or a bad thing?
alright

Have had my Z4 for 3 years and still enjoying it.