New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
cloud7Cal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89

BMW Wheel Tire warranty denied (/w 296 wheels)

Hi All,
Not surprisingly, as other z4 owners with 296 wheels, I recently had two rear wheels cracked. If this is the end of the story, I wouldn't start a new thread.
Before pulling my trigger last year, I studied a lot on new Z4 through this forum, and I was aware of the problems with 296 wheels, and knew that most of the owners bought their road hazard protection which BMW sells; I mean 'safe guard' product under BMW name on it. Like most of the owners here, I also bought 3 year protection for a peace of my mind living in LA with bad road conditions.
Recently I had the warning light(low pressure) on and brought in my car for service. I was told by my SA the same day that my two wheels are cracked, and one of the two tire has been cracked from inside. After checking it with the inspector, my SA told me that two wheels are going to be covered but not the tire. What safe guard are saying is that this damage is not due to the road hazard, but rather careless driving. My SA also told me that I can't drive with my wheel cracked, and once the wheel gets cracked, tire loses its pressure causing tire damage. Sounds to me that it is all my fault not checking my wheels often. But, I brought my car in as soon as I saw the lights on, and I can't believe they are trying to blame me.

I've been searching in this forum, and found out that one owner had exactly the same problem as me, and that owner also had to pay for the new tire. It seems to me that the tire warranty only holds when there is no damage to the wheels. Is there any owner who've had their wheels and tires replace at the same time under tire & wheel warranty?

Attached file is the damage of the wheel (you can see the crack in red circle)
and the damage on tire. (around the corner where inner side wall and bottom meets)
Attached Images

Last edited by cloud7Cal; 09-09-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud7Cal View Post
Hi All,
Recently I had the warning light(low pressure) on and brought in my car for service. ..... But, I brought my car in as soon as I saw the lights on, and I can't believe they are trying to blame me.
How many days, approximate miles, & max speed did you drive the car after the low pressure light illuminated?

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
cloud7Cal
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89

Two days including the day I drove in to the service & the first day I saw the light returning home. Approximate miles : less than 50 miles with max speed 60mph. But the car was waiting for service appointment for three days in my garage. When the light came on (rear right), I thought I was getting new tire, and I wasn't that careful driving to the dealership, and didn't know that my wheel has been cracked. By the way, the SA found the cracks on right wheel as well as the left, until then I had no idea. It is strange that my left tire is OK even though it is older than the right one (it has been replaced to new one having nail once).

Last edited by cloud7Cal; 09-09-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

look - I hate to say this, but BMWNA is terrible, and you need a lawyer (which will not really help because it will cost you more than buying new wheels - and I assure you BMW knows this). I love BMW cars but hate their warranty, service, and attitude. Yes, some dealers are good but this now all flows through BMWNA so they can control costs and screw the consumer.

I had the same exact problem without the extra warranty you paid for and I simply used it as an opportunity to through these VMRs on the car with Michelin PSS. The real culprit that I think the majority of us believe is the extra hard/stiff RFT that comes OEM in combination with a wheel that was not designed to handle the extra pounding the RFTs give the wheel.

BMW should be ashamed, but it is not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
egtownsend
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i

I had the EXACT same problem. Two wheels cracked, and the loss of pressure caused damage to the tire. Insurance would pay for the wheel, but not the tires as they said I damaged it. Even though logic says it wouldn't have been damaged if the wheels didn't crack, I got stuck paying for two new tires.

Giving the retail price of the wheels themselves, I'm still glad I bought the insurance. But was still very disappointed that it they hid these little details in the fine print. I don't know about you, but I would've paid some extra money to have the tires included (as I thought they were).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

So I think the wheel/tire warranty company is selecting certain situations to pay for. I was lucky enough that I had a wheel replaced and a cracked rim replaced but I think it was only because the wheel on the right rear and tire on the left rear needed to be replaced. I've read warranty claim denials for people that have the same wheel and tire damaged and they are saying its due to bad driving yet my situation is basically the same and its covered. They are probably tired of paying out all these claims for these wheels.

My suggestion to all, take the wheels and tires to discount tire and have them switch everything around. Put a damaged wheel with a good tire and the damaged tire on a good wheel. That way the warranty company will cover it. Not really possible to do with the offset if both wheels are cracked but its better than a full denial. Hopefully something will get covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by egtownsend View Post
I had the EXACT same problem. Two wheels cracked, and the loss of pressure caused damage to the tire. Insurance would pay for the wheel, but not the tires as they said I damaged it.
Certainly one could argue that their cracked rim broke your tire. Tell them that you WILL get a lawyer and it will cost them way much more than a tire because you WILL sue for legal fees as well.

This is not all one sided as they want it to be. Geeeze this crap makes me mad and you have to do something about it.

Think of it like this. if you go to a store and get bad service and do nothing about it. that enables them to treat the next person (namely me) the same way. They wont like me in court because I WILL bring the kitchen sink for them to pay for.

DO YOUR JOB and sue them. I dont care that it cost 500 for a lawyer and the tire costs 200.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
I wonder if just stopping when the light comes on & calling BMW Assist to tow the car will work for insurance purposes? I mean, if I stop driving as soon as the light comes on, and have the car towed, surly I can't have caused the damage to the tire?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Baremeg55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl
I wonder if just stopping when the light comes on & calling BMW Assist to tow the car will work for insurance purposes? I mean, if I stop driving as soon as the light comes on, and have the car towed, surly I can't have caused the damage to the tire?
Nope, that won't work, they will just say you must have hit a big pot hole and called for a tow.

This whole situation stinks. It is obvious to me these rims have an issue. What I can't determine is if those folks with issues have hit a pot hole, or a bad section of roadway that may have led to the cracked rim. Regardless, if one compares these 19" rims to all other rims, and the lack thereof of people posting problems with all of the other rim variances, you can only surmise the rims are under-designed, in other words, weak and unable to handle an impact that cracks the rim, but usually doesn't damage the tire.

I detest those that sue in court for any reason, or look for an opportunity to sue. However, if justified, go for it!!! I think a good lawyer, after due diligence, could have a very persuasive argument in court that would win the case. The more folks and more time passes, and more failures of these 296 rims, the issue will eventually come to a head, and I think BMW is simply playing the odds.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
I dont care that it cost 500 for a lawyer and the tire costs 200.
if it only cost $500, sure . . . but more likely $500/hour for many hours of billing. this will be resolved by a class action at some point where the lawyer can pool all victims and file and then we get a crappy "coupon" or something for $50 toward the purchase of a new set of four tires
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
Blu Yea
Jimi Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i DSB - Walnut

Garage List
2011 Z4 35i  [8.00]
Hey, me like many others had the same situation with minor differences worth noting.
You decide if this helps your cause.

I purchased a used z4 from texas with 10K miles. delivered to LA.
Had the car 8 days and had cracked wheel with damaged tire.
i drove on it not knowing how bad it was.

Took to the Glendale dealer after i made a case with BMW USA. Thanks to these posts for suggesting. This dealer replaced the wheel and the tire.
Honestly i think it was the service rep that pushed it through.
It was replaced with the new thicker 296 as noted in my other posts.
no issues since.

It seems this is something they decide on differently on each occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

I just found out that I have a cracked rear wheel.
Took it to the dealer and the tire warranty only covers $460 while the new wheel cost $550 + $40 to mount. Total I have to pay $130 out of pocket.

When you guys filed a claim, do you get full replacement cost? any out of pocket cost?

also, since there are no visible damage on the tire, they're not replacing the tire
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

I have also a 296 with one crack.

Today I will bring the car to the dealer. I'm curious how this will be settled. My warranty period is expired.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I know its annoying but you don't need to update every 296 thread you know ... just kidding, vent all you like. It will likely be settled as good will. I've had two rears and one front go, all done under warranty but BMW UK told me they'd do more as good will.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
jcrout7992
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Vintage, what style and size wheel are on your Z4?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Wheel lawsuit

Hello, I have a 2009 Z4 3.5i. I am a lawyer and am going to file a lawsuit to correct the defective wheels and seek reimbursement for damages. My email is akoplan@yahoo.com If you have experienced a problem and would like to discuss it, please email me.

This will likely be a class action similar to what prompted BMW NA to change the N54 engine that originally did not include an oil cooler and would over-heat. After some time and much pressure, BMW issued a recall to install oil coolers (in most circumstances).

My advice--Do not even accept a Z4 if it has style 289 wheels. They are going to crack. They are completely defective and dangerous. I drive on the highways and roads in Atlanta, GA and have had to replace 3. I have the warranty, and it covered 2 replacements only, because two of the wheels completely cracked (at different times mind you and not due to driving other than everyday and such) and were covered/replaced, but the third wheel bent but did not crack. I had to pay to have it repaired.

We deserve better.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
Hello, I have a 2009 Z4 3.5i. I am a lawyer and am going to file a lawsuit to correct the defective wheels and seek reimbursement for damages. My email is akoplan@yahoo.com If you have experienced a problem and would like to discuss it, please email me.

This will likely be a class action similar to what prompted BMW NA to change the N54 engine that originally did not include an oil cooler and would over-heat. After some time and much pressure, BMW issued a recall to install oil coolers (in most circumstances).

My advice--Do not even accept a Z4 if it has style 289 wheels. They are going to crack. They are completely defective and dangerous. I drive on the highways and roads in Atlanta, GA and have had to replace 3. I have the warranty, and it covered 2 replacements only, because two of the wheels completely cracked (at different times mind you and not due to driving other than everyday and such) and were covered/replaced, but the third wheel bent but did not crack. I had to pay to have it repaired.

We deserve better.
You might want to get the facts right if you're progressing legally.. they're style '296' not '289'.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

This sounds like a nightmare. I will be getting an E89 soon and i would rather not have this problem.

So what is a sensible solution?
get non RFT on 19 inch 326 style or get 18 inch with RFT?

I hear the car handles better with non RFT and understandably so since it shaves off weight on each wheel. Can anyone shed more info on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #19
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1robot View Post
This sounds like a nightmare. I will be getting an E89 soon and i would rather not have this problem.

So what is a sensible solution?
get non RFT on 19 inch 326 style or get 18 inch with RFT?

I hear the car handles better with non RFT and understandably so since it shaves off weight on each wheel. Can anyone shed more info on this?
Its not the weight that makes the real difference, its the rigidity of the sidewalls. You can have any wheel with NON RFTs, even the 296. But the 296 is more susceptible to cracks with RFTs on. The 326 are not escaping this issue, I have a friend who has had to replace two 326 wheels due to cracking also.

18" are a good option for peace of mind, they just don't look as good IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #20
R1robot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Its not the weight that makes the real difference, its the rigidity of the sidewalls. You can have any wheel with NON RFTs, even the 296. But the 296 is more susceptible to cracks with RFTs on. The 326 are not escaping this issue, I have a friend who has had to replace two 326 wheels due to cracking also.

18" are a good option for peace of mind, they just don't look as good IMHO.
I see...personally i prefer performance over looks and if it means i can downgrade to style 276 wheel size 18 or even 17 inch. I really like both 296 and 326 style, i presume they only come on 19 inches? i have not found them on google otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
lbollom
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4

Im having the same issue here in OZ with the 296 rims.

I managed to have all rims and tyres replaced by BMW via insurance for all 4 rims as they cracked one by one taking out the tyre each time.

I thought the issues were over and it was a dodgy batch of rims as all were replaced.

Last week I took my car for a service and BMW tell me sir you have 3 cracked rims WTF. BMW have now agreed to replace all 4 rims again however they are suggesting the 18" size which I'm tending to agree on, only issue is my tyres are new and they don't fit on 19" rims so lucky me got BMW to replace those as well.

Now I need to choose between the 293, 294, 295 or 325 M (not sure if I can have that one)

Seems the 19" rims are a waste of time and money
Appreciate 0