New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Why no SM for the E89??

I was curious why I don't see any service manuals posted here? Is the forum sponsored by BMW that discussion about service manuals is a taboo? Does our vehicle not have one released just yet?
      03-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

It's online at www.bmwusa.com

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
I was curious why I don't see any service manuals posted here? Is the forum sponsored by BMW that discussion about service manuals is a taboo? Does our vehicle not have one released just yet?
There are Service manuals, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong, there are no Maintenance manuals. DYI-ers have to go to Bavarian Autosport http://www.bavauto.com/ and watch Otto work on some brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

That's true. Bentley will eventually put out a maintenance manual, but it takes a few years...I don't know how long. I'm with you though. That's why I'm hoping a DIY subforum can be started. There's all ready some posted DIYs but you have to search for them - angel eye bulb install, kidney grill install, etc. I'm going to post an oil change sometime around late May. I'd love to see brakes, gearbox oil change, brake fluid, differential oil change, exhaust install, spark plugs, microfilter.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
redhot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
That's true. Bentley will eventually put out a maintenance manual, but it takes a few years...I don't know how long. I'm with you though. That's why I'm hoping a DIY subforum can be started. There's all ready some posted DIYs but you have to search for them - angel eye bulb install, kidney grill install, etc. I'm going to post an oil change sometime around late May. I'd love to see brakes, gearbox oil change, brake fluid, differential oil change, exhaust install, spark plugs, microfilter.
Now we are talking . I have always enjoyed working on my cars and would love to learn some tips and tricks from the BMW Pros. My reason for asking for the Service Manual serves this purpose by bringing us tinkerheads closer to being able to work on regular maintenance and other mod stuff if one so chooses.

Being an engineer, I'm always curious on how things work and hate when the dealership takes you for a ride. Also, I do not see any service bulletins posted on our forum.

Like the idea of a DIY / service bulletin / service manual thread restricted to members only.
      03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
rfx45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
The Mod I contacted about a DIY section hasn't responded. I guess I should message the admin directly?
      03-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
It should be part of the manual you were given on delivery. Unless you purchased your car second hand and the former owner did not leave you the manual.

Check this link and select your year and model. You can then open an electronic PDF file. Good luck

BMW Maintenance Document ---> Click to Open

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Now we are talking . I have always enjoyed working on my cars and would love to learn some tips and tricks from the BMW Pros. My reason for asking for the Service Manual serves this purpose by bringing us tinkerheads closer to being able to work on regular maintenance and other mod stuff if one so chooses.

Being an engineer, I'm always curious on how things work and hate when the dealership takes you for a ride. Also, I do not see any service bulletins posted on our forum.

Like the idea of a DIY / service bulletin / service manual thread restricted to members only.
Ah I see you are after a very detailed service manual. My bad ... I have one for our e28 year manufacture was 1987 that I constantly use. I purchased it only after the warranty expired and I started working on the car. If I recall correctly that comprehensive manual was only published around 1990 or 1991. I did not need it for the normal stuff like oil changes and spark plug cleaning / changes or brake inspections that I carried out in-between what BMW did under the warranty maintenance plan at that time.

Good luck finding what you seek.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0